TABAQ TL for Tangband

I am planning to build Tabaq with Visaton FRS8-8. After a lot of reading, I have a few questions. Could someone please clarify a couple of things for me?

What is the cross section of both the 3" and 4" Tabaq? As this seems to be the only measurement that differs between the two. I've seen some mention the FRS8 should go in 4" design. Not sure which I should do.

Which port are we supposed to use? There's the original and the updated centered port.

Long ago there was a suggestion that the build for FRS8 should have stuffing in final 1/3. Still true?

That driver has a very high Qts, which in my experience, delivers less than satisfying results in the TABAQ.

I don't have time to look at this driver much today, so someone else might chime in

Thanks. Sorry, that's the wrong version. I meant FRS8M. All questions still hold true.

What is the cross section of both the 3" and 4" Tabaq? As this seems to be the only measurement that differs between the two. I've seen some mention the FRS8M should go in 4" design. Not sure which I should do.

Which port are we supposed to use? There's the original and the updated centered port.

Long ago there was a suggestion that the build for FRS8M should have stuffing in final 1/3. Still true?

I think Bjorn might have been drinking some good wine that night! :D

Pull out the original TABAQ pdf, and the TABAQ Update 2 pdf, and you will see that both dimensions are the same, being 10x12.8cm, or 128cm2.

The only difference is the way the vent is configured. a bit shorter for 3" drivers, a bit longer for 4" drivers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 4.48.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-18 at 4.48.42 PM.png
    113.2 KB · Views: 268
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Go with the MA CHBW70 in the original TABAQ.
It goes a tad lower at 33cm from the top, which leaves you space to add a tweeter with a 2+uF capacitor on it. Add resistor if needed to pad the tweeter down. Choose a tweeter with a sealed back chamber for the easiest setup.

Thanks for this Perceval....I didnt see your reply at the time sorry.
Great I shall look into this further now.
2uf for 4 or 8ohm tweeter?

I think Bjorn might have been drinking some good wine that night! :D

Pull out the original TABAQ pdf, and the TABAQ Update 2 pdf, and you will see that both dimensions are the same, being 10x12.8cm, or 128cm2.

The only difference is the way the vent is configured. a bit shorter for 3" drivers, a bit longer for 4" drivers.

Thanks. I really do appreciate the assistance. Recently, others have pointed out that original vent is a different shape than the updated shorter vent. The start of the original vent is 3.8cm and then tapers to 1.6cm. Understandably, errors have occurred before and I am left to wonder if that is correct or not.

I'm not trying to be a pain. But I am trying to get rock solid information. I would really like to build this very cool speaker, though I can't afford to do it multiple times.

The start of the original vent is 3.8cm and then tapers to 1.6 .......

I'm not trying to be a pain. But I am trying to get rock solid information. I would really like to build this very cool speaker, though I can't afford to do it multiple times.

Sorry, but I have no idea where you picked up that the vent tapers.

Rock solid info? Very easy.
Get the pdf, read that, build it. Solid.

:)

Thanks. I really do appreciate the assistance. Recently, others have pointed out that original vent is a different shape than the updated shorter vent. The start of the original vent is 3.8cm and then tapers to 1.6cm. Understandably, errors have occurred before and I am left to wonder if that is correct or not.

Hi Irishpatrick33,

I understand your concern and somehow you are right, me too when I came to know Tabaq I really couldn't figured out what to do, then I start read the all thread and asking help, Bjorn and Perceval they really kind and helpful but at times answers are different or with discrepancies so make the all thing more difficult.

Then sometimes some other members like in #1364 make a suggestion for hypothetical better performance, Bjorn sometimes approve the idea sometimes not, still the design that is matter and right, is the one signed by Bjorn. I saw lot of time Bjorn say " this modification or mistake is not a big deal" or " is not a big problem " we are talking sometimes about few millimeters.

When I built my second Tabaq for the Faital 4FE32 Bjorn suggest to be sticky with the Original Tabaq design, still I did some experiment with the updated port and realise that in one way or the other nothing was changing or maybe change but really impossible to ear it so I decided to do the exact Original Tabaq design and I am super happy with it, what is really changing the bass response is the stuffing, oh yes you can really ear the difference.

So the modus operandi here is pick the driver and see what is the best Tabaq design for it but stay with the approved design's.

By the way about the start of the port in the original Tabaq I was the one bring out on post #2841 that is 38mm and not 16mm, this because some members made a wrong calculation of it, but if you look the original design by Bjorn there was no mistake at all.....all the best

Irishpatrick – we would like you to also experience TABAQ magic by building a set using the correct plans. Hopefully kissabout brought you some clarity. Forget about tapered ports, and yes, there are small differences, but they don't seem to make much difference to the magic.

Your Visaton FRS 8 M drivers are 3.3”, have 125Hz Fs and 0.49 Qts. So, you should use any of the plans for 3” drivers. Please go and check these posts again:
#1501 – Bjorn’s updated plan for 3” drivers (Use the plan on page 2 of 4, and delete page 4)
#1505 – Driver and stuffing guide
#1507 – Port example
#1651 – More nice plans for 3” drivers

Sorry if this info has already been posted, the thread is quite long to search at this point.

It looks like there are some options for building differently than the schematic on audioexpress. Are there any guidelines for doing so? For instance, Bchiu2000 just built a model that has a totally different port/base design. That particular design might be beneficial to me.

I'd also like to attempt a different shape, kind of like Sound Sommeliers. Is that an option?

Any help is appreciated.

The design I built is good in term of the port is built as an add-on module to the main chamber vs the other designs having the port built together with the main chamber.

The down side is that you don't get the clean look like having one clean baffle from top to bottom. You can always veneer it later for a clean look. And for this design you need to cut out 8 more small boards. I don't have a table saw so I ended up with 8 boards with different lengths and widths (not by much) which is not the most aesthetic. But since you are building the sound sommelier, this would be the exact design.

Search all my posts in this thread and you will find the building plan in PDF that the original creator put together.

I built my TABAQ from two Ikea bookshelves that I picked up for free on Craigslist. Not only you save $20-$40 but you save some trees by giving those old bookshelves a new life instead.

You also ended up with speakers with nice laminated surface if you are not planning to paint them.

One tip though about gluing laminated surface is that it doesn't glue well. I had the two sides came off clean after I glued them. So the trick is to take a knife and scratch the bonding area as much as possible before gluing.

Last edited:
I have tried with Ikea cheapest pillow materials and some monacor stuff. In both cases 110g to my taste is too much. Material is polypropylene in both. In two folded Tabaq variations (with PS95-8 and RS100-8, 4 total possible combinations) I think smth 40-80g range for PS95 and 60-100g for RS100 is ok, but my versions are not pure Tabaq anymore, as they are folded in different ways and I have made a hole for variable vent length - it is just simple pvc pipe of ~36mm inner, 40mm outer diameter.

By stuffing more the sound will be more mellow, but you will lose more details. By combining with variable vent lenght the variants are pretty limitless, as the change of 1cm of vent lenght is audible AND this also requires to readjust stuffing.

If I start this build now the first thing I would buy variable vent tubes of similar cross section as the variations affect the sound even more than different stuffing amount.

EDIT: the vents could be a little smaller, ~1/4 to 1/3 of speaker cone area is ok for normal listening levels of 3' or 4' speakers

Thanks for the info. Just curious how do you evenly distribute stuffing in the top 3/4 of the chamber? With 110g, I can barely fill it up to the top. I assume having 40g, it will only fill up to the middle leaving the top half of the speaker empty.

Finally, after a long way, I finished my first build. I have to say I'm amazed by the sound, although it's my first time with a full-range too and I can't be objective.

I think that the W5-2143 are a good match for the TPA3251. And what a bass :D

Attachments

• IMG_20200314_153707_resize_60.jpg
    IMG_20200314_153707_resize_60.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_20200316_160155_resize_37.jpg
    IMG_20200316_160155_resize_37.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_20200314_153717_resize_63.jpg
    IMG_20200314_153717_resize_63.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_20200321_102449_resize_53.jpg
    IMG_20200321_102449_resize_53.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20200519_143746_resize_44.jpg
    IMG_20200519_143746_resize_44.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for the help everyone. After some consideration, I am going to switch to the 3FE22 and use the original port. I get the impression the 3FE22 is a better performer. If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly. Fingers crossed.

Uncross the fingers the 3FE22 is one of the best 3" driver, you cannot get wrong, also with 91dB sensitivity wow is not a joke, you will really enjoy the music I envy you......all the best