TABAQ TL for Tangband

Hmmm... did some measurements.
(drivers were broken in a while back with 200+ hours)

I feel a little let down by the W5-1611saf in this case.
I have read it was a good driver with a good reach... for a 5-incher.

But I'm not sure I can live with its limitations.

It doesn't reach lower than my 4" drivers, and it starts beaming much earlier than my other TABAQs. If on-axis, the reach is fine and will need a BSC.

But just a little off axis and it starts dropping at 2.5kHz... which the BSC will just make worse. And if I just run without a BSC, than the 800Hz-5kHz range will be prominent, and I hate that kind of sound, where the mids overpower everything else.

Plus, listening as is, I can kinda "hear" the plastic cone... which is strange because I do like my polypropylene coned W4-1052SD... but the W5 is totally different.

So, I might transfer the W5 to a simple ported box for near field listening (computer speakers) and somehow make the Large enclosure fit the SB 5x8" woofers... that will take some creative work, I'm sure!

Then, I would just need to tweak the vent and add the SB65 for high range. I think it would work much better.

Here's the W5 off axis, 15 deg:

Searching through your old posts. Sounds like all w5 have this problem.

Don't quote me just yet!

Might have been my construction skills lately that have been going worse instead of better!

I redid a MLTL for my 5x8 woofer, and I still have no bass!
I'm guessing I have air leaks in my construction, so, back to the shed and try to seal them somehow.
What about the high frequency? I find these drivers really bright. Did you add a bsc to them?

Don't quote me just yet!

Might have been my construction skills lately that have been going worse instead of better!

I'm guessing I have air leaks in my construction, so, back to the shed and try to seal them somehow.
I know I am a noob at woodworking so I caulk all the edges with glue running my finger through them. I think it worked for me.

I had experience also with a back loaded horn enclosure by Fostex, well is a massive build with inside labyrinth, and if we look some manufacturer built their driver specifically for horn enclosure like Fostex and Markaudio just for mention two of the more well known.

How a back loaded horn enclosure work vs Tabaq? In my case both work very well, of course with the Fostex I got power, I use them with a replica 30+30 W tube amp. by RCA while I cannot expect the same with a 4" driver in Tabaq, they are different type of sound, but definitely without any doubt the sound from Tabaq is intriguingly sophisticated.

I saw many friend having not reaction on listening Fostex but when they listen to a Tabaq with tiny 4" driver the face change immediately, some say " ok this is a joke right?" others cannot believe it, some say " ok but where is the sub? ".
Having say that I never experienced or listen FH but lots of people love them......all the best

Another thing I am curious about is how the TABAQ compare to the Frugal Horn 3. Anyone has built both?

Maybe some pictures help

thumbnail_IMG_20200529_181842.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200529_181933.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20200529_181955.jpg

This Tabaq is 18mm plywood, and look a bit bigger than usual.

Frugel is deeper but smaller. It's designed to work close to back wall. But is much, much work than Tabaq, not for a newbie.

About WAF, Frugel wins.

Sound/effort, Tabaq wins clearly. :)

Don't quote me just yet!

I think you need to drink a full bottle of Chilean Merlot wine then :cheers: all is going to be fine....:D

Hi guys, I’m doing a folded version of tabaq for faital 3fe22. I’m wanna ask if Its ok to fold the line in this way. I attach the profile of the folded transmission line to see if it’s ok that the offset part of the length in the line is behind the speaker and not under o upper the speaker.

Attachments

• 04CFA0E8-7910-458D-BC4B-03C1DCB25938.png
    04CFA0E8-7910-458D-BC4B-03C1DCB25938.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 364
I think you need to drink a full bottle of Chilean Merlot wine then :cheers: all is going to be fine....:D

Thanks!

Although I had a little too much to drink last night, camping at the beach.
Mostly beers! :)

But I have found this great Argentinian wine, called Don David. The Tannat and Syrah and really good, and not expensive. One of the best wine I can get around here... it used to be we couldn't get any good wines, but the last 5 years have been much better.

Cheers!

I saw many friend having not reaction on listening Fostex but when they listen to a Tabaq with tiny 4" driver the face change immediately, some say " ok this is a joke right?" others cannot believe it, some say " ok but where is the sub? ".
Could you please tell what drivers were used in fostex and tabaq 4" driver? Was tabaq getting more bass when compared to the fostex speaker??

Maybe some pictures help

View attachment 848410

View attachment 848411

View attachment 848412

This Tabaq is 18mm plywood, and look a bit bigger than usual.

Frugel is deeper but smaller. It's designed to work close to back wall. But is much, much work than Tabaq, not for a newbie.

About WAF, Frugel wins.

Sound/effort, Tabaq wins clearly. :)

Could you please tell about the speaker drivers used in these speakers.. are they frugal horn lites for 3" drivers ?
Also is that frugal horn the regular size on for 4" drivers ,, which is in the background.. only sound wise how they compare with each other..

Could you please tell what drivers were used in fostex and tabaq 4" driver? Was tabaq getting more bass when compared to the fostex speaker??

Fostex FE206en and in Tabaq FaitalPro 4FE32-8, well the comparison of the two driver is, we can say "unfair", Fostex is an 8" driver while the FaitalPro is half of it, also the level of signal they can handle is massively different, still taking all factors in account the 4FE32-8 in Tabaq is impressive, bass, middle, hight and no beaming with a impressive 91dB sensitivity.....all the best

Could you please tell about the speaker drivers used in these speakers.. are they frugal horn lites for 3" drivers ?
Also is that frugal horn the regular size on for 4" drivers ,, which is in the background.. only sound wise how they compare with each other..

Hi, I'll try to explain (sorry, my english is baaad)

FrugelHorn Lite were designed for Fostex FE85wk. Expensive (100$/pair) and very very good drivers, I really like them. You can use many other 3", probably the best cheap option is Faital 3FE22. Check the FrugelHorn page and thread.

The ones in the picture have Vifa TC9 (3.5") which sounds good, detailed but not too bright, just enough bass. Sweet and polite, another recommended driver for FH Lite.

In the background there is the regular FH3. Is much bigger than FH Lite or Tabaq, and powerful with better and deeper bass. In medium/small rooms reach 40-50Hz, enough for movies (in european apartments). Many drivers to choose, cheap or expensive 4-5". Now I have an aliexpress driver which works ok.

I have some measurements in other computer, tomorrow post.

Víctor

Btw, those are very nice speakers you got there. Those woods are mesmerizing!

All are regular plywood. FrugelHorn Lite is walnut dyed birch. Tabaq is mahogany dyed calabo.

Is not difficult to get a good finish with plywood, much easier than particle board + paint. When the plywood box is completely finished sand all faces, put some nice dye and acrilic varnish (never gloss). :D

Hi guys, I’m doing a folded version of tabaq for faital 3fe22. I’m wanna ask if Its ok to fold the line in this way. I attach the profile of the folded transmission line to see if it’s ok that the offset part of the length in the line is behind the speaker and not under o upper the speaker.

I have searched the info about folding quarterwaves in all the internet, and... most people agree that it should work similar to straight lines, and measurements should me made with the center point of the speaker driver and with the middle of the line.

Yes, I have built in the exactly same way and also built in another type of fold, but had to make face of the speaker wider (width of the line 15 cm, cross section the same). The sound of them differ a little: wider baffle sound richer, narrow one - more accurate. I am sure, that baffle width changes the sound, but I do not know how much the type of fold changes the sound. My speakers of choice was PS95-8, which I like, but is a bit too shouty in the upper frequencies and RS100-8 which sounds like nice very flat speaker, only with that annoying ringing and coloration from metal cone, which I hate. I haven't listened to 3fe22, but I have 3fe25 which is very impressive driver - powerful, visually much much more xmax than in documentation, crisp and clear in all the range. I think 22 will be similar, but I havent build my 25 into TABAQ, so cannot say anything how they fit for this speaker.

Here are my foldings of the slightly modified TABAQ. I really recommend to buy variable length vent tubes of similar cross section, they are worth it - with the stuffing change and change of vent length you can change the sound of your speaker every evening ;)

Attachments

• z-fold.PNG
    z-fold.PNG
    5.6 KB · Views: 314
  • g-fold.PNG
    g-fold.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 307