The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I had thought about a shorter line of 8" woofers as they could be easier to fit in a living room.

I already have too many expensive speakers so any more than one or two 12" subs is not on the cards for me any time soon, plus I have tried hard to make my lines visually unobtrusive (as far as any speaker more than 7 feet high can be) I don't think I could pull the same trick with Stig Erik's 21" driver floor to ceiling H frames :D

I believe more would be better, as it would help average out placement dependent reflections in quite a few directions. So even a shorter line of 8" woofers should be able to do better than a single 12". I'd opt to keep it close to the array, as that would give you possibilities to switch energy with the TC9 array where needed (like my dip at 70 Hz on the left side).

I really have no choice but to use 2 single subs. I'll make it work somehow. Keeping them low to the floor probably helps out getting good use out of them for the bottom end but I really can't tell until I try.

Even Scaena used a row of woofers for their top model:
attachment.php

And Genesis used a row of smaller drivers:
attachment.php

As did the Infinity IRS that came before them:
attachment.php

Many many more examples can be found. Though if we work at it, the true benefit would be to use both woofer and full range array to work together and not use fixed crossovers, at least in my wicked view on all things audio...

Attachments

• Scaena-2.6-speaker-system..jpg
    Scaena-2.6-speaker-system..jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 349
  • Dragon1.jpg
    Dragon1.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 303
  • 445a7a537df396fadf1b9d02c2c7aa19.jpg
    445a7a537df396fadf1b9d02c2c7aa19.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Thinking of it some more, gkh, 2 rows of smaller drivers next to the TC9 array should be able to do wonders too :). Like this...
Substitute the middle row with TC9's and use small drivers with the largest x-max you can find. You can make it look prettier by angling out the side rows at ~30 degree or so.

You think about, let's say, 6.5" woofers?

This is an OB array, BTW :D

Yes... 6.5 would do. I know this is OB but it was the best I could find in a simple search. I searched for McIntosh while searching for Selah would have been more effective ;)

This is more like it:
attachment.php

Though a little less angled sides. You'd need EQ on those rows and low FS drivers would be best. I do seem to recall Tang Band has some crazy models...
I assume you're "only" shooting for output down to about 40 HZ PA style?

Something like this: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-919-tang-band-w6-1139sif-specifications.pdf

Attachments

• 1c0b5c8036a7101a57492e56afc164df.jpg
    1c0b5c8036a7101a57492e56afc164df.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Thinking of it some more, gkh, 2 rows of smaller drivers next to the TC9 array should be able to do wonders too :). Like this...
Substitute the middle row with TC9's and use small drivers with the largest x-max you can find. You can make it look prettier by angling out the side rows at ~30 degree or so.
Did you see the other pictures below in that photobucket link :cool:

I meant the price somewhere in your part of the world :)
Shipping from Estronia wouldn't be cheaper than shipping from Germany...

$52 here so I could buy 5 for the same price as 1x 830500 12", only $10 for shipping either which is why I am considering them :)

After wesayso's comment I put 4x SB in a sim against 1 x 830500

The SB drivers give up very little to the 830500 down low but they use significantly less cone travel to get there so coupled with the spreading of the source it seems like a pretty good idea.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 8.32.55 pm.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 8.33.11 pm.png

$52 here so I could buy 5 for the same price as 1x 830500 12", only $10 for shipping either which is why I am considering them :)

After wesayso's comment I put 4x SB in a sim against 1 x 830500

The SB drivers give up very little to the 830500 down low but they use significantly less cone travel to get there so coupled with the spreading of the source it seems like a pretty good idea.

View attachment 613917

View attachment 613918
Sorry to intrude, fluid and wesayso, but could you do a similar test on https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...cl45-4-8-polypropylene-cone-sub-woofer-4-ohm/ for subwoofer consideration. I'm using 4 already, 2 per side in 1 cu.ft. boxes.

Sorry to intrude, fluid and wesayso, but could you do a similar test on https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...cl45-4-8-polypropylene-cone-sub-woofer-4-ohm/ for subwoofer consideration. I'm using 4 already, 2 per side in 1 cu.ft. boxes.

Here you go I had to change power to 100W to avoid the 2 driver box exceeding xmax. The lime green is two of those 4 ohm wired in series in a 2cuft box. The other green is 4 in series parallel to give 4 ohms in 4 cuft. They don't need anywhere near that big a box. The Q of the box is about 0.6 with half of that volume. That driver has been designed to be put in a very small box. It is also very expensive in relative terms for the performance it offers at least where I live. If you are interested in the below 30 Hz performance from a very small box then I suppose it could be a good choice.

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 7.41.28 am.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 7.41.42 am.png

Here you go I had to change power to 100W to avoid the 2 driver box exceeding xmax. The lime green is two of those 4 ohm wired in series in a 2cuft box. The other green is 4 in series parallel to give 4 ohms in 4 cuft. They don't need anywhere near that big a box. The Q of the box is about 0.6 with half of that volume. That driver has been designed to be put in a very small box. It is also very expensive in relative terms for the performance it offers at least where I live. If you are interested in the below 30 Hz performance from a very small box then I suppose it could be a good choice.

View attachment 613988

View attachment 613989
Thanks for running that sim! I'm interested in freq's down to 10Hz. Matrix comes to mind where I heard my last 12" subwoofer experiment make alot of noise through the vent. But it did perform well, i.e. push alot of air, despite that vent noise.

Thanks for running that sim! I'm interested in freq's down to 10Hz. Matrix comes to mind where I heard my last 12" subwoofer experiment make alot of noise through the vent. But it did perform well, i.e. push alot of air, despite that vent noise.
Vented cabinets are not as well suited to Ultra low frequency response because they need a highpass filter to prevent over excursion below the tuning frequency.

And I'm wondering whether the HiVi B4N would work in array configuration -they go relatively low for their size with reasonable xmax, so assuming you could get similar gains from arraying them (lower extension and distortion) it could be worthwhile trying (around $10 per driver, small vented volume) - although you'd definitely need to cross them over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I'm wondering whether the HiVi B4N would work in array configuration -they go relatively low for their size with reasonable xmax, so assuming you could get similar gains from arraying them (lower extension and distortion) it could be worthwhile trying (around $10 per driver, small vented volume) - although you'd definitely need to cross them over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you mean instead of the TC9 then I don't think that is a good idea. The top end response is awful, they are bigger and more expensive.

When you said cross them over did you mean to a line of tweeters? The response looks like it needs it and a two way line array is a very different prospect.