The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

x-max on the TC9 is 2.55 mm. Sure it has smaller Sd area, but whatever I'd choose has to top out the TC by at least 2x. More headroom :).

The Visaton:
54,1 x 25 x 2 = 2705 (volume displacement)

Compared to a single Scan Speak 30W type of driver (or a Peerless XXLS):
466 x 12.5 = 5825 (volume displacement)

An array of TC9's:
36 x 25 x 2.55 = 2295 (volume displacement)

See what I mean?

Sure I see what you mean. It's pretty obvious :) OTOH, with regards to my specific needs (i.e. smallest possible footprint, no additionals subs), this might be a nice low range helper).

It might make that Tang Band I mentioned earlier more interesting.
For about the price of the 25 Visatons, You'd get 10 of those.

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w6-1139sif-6-1-2-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-919

Specs:
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-919-tang-band-w6-1139sif-specifications.pdf

Let's do the math again:
140 x 10 x 11.5 = 16100 (now we're talking!)

Blows the 30w out of the water.... and it features a surround that looks like it could take it :D.
Those little Tang Bands are freaks of nature ;). I didn't check if they can handle the boost though, thermally.

I assume you want to have these arrays stand freely. My arrays get help from the close boundaries of my room. The pair of 30w's will have that help too.
With free standing speakers you'd need about all the help you can get down low. Would be interesting to see a sim of 10 of these compared to the 30w sub.
Got to run though...

Last edited:

Attachments

• Insane.PNG
    Insane.PNG
    66.1 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:

https://www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w6-1139sif-6-1-2-paper-cone-subwoofer-speaker--264-919

Specs:
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/264-919-tang-band-w6-1139sif-specifications.pdf

Let's do the math again:

Blows the 30w out of the water.... and it features a surround that looks like it could take it :D.
Those little Tang Bands are freaks of nature ;). I didn't check if they can handle the boost though, thermally.

I assume you want to have these arrays stand freely. My arrays get help from the close boundaries of my room. The pair of 30w's will have that help too.
With free standing speakers you'd need about all the help you can get down low. Would be interesting to see a sim of 10 of these compared to the 30w sub.
Got to run though...

WOW
They are indeed freaky little speakers.
10 in a 63 ltr. kabinet will produce 100dB @ 20 hz with compensation.
10 in a 240 ltr -6dB bassreflex will reach 20 Hz -6db.
Impressing!

I have a couple of these:Monacor SONIC-15MK2 - AUDIO CONSTRUCTOR -

I am considering using them as subs for my line arrays.

A bit of a strange beast too.
A q= 0.7 closed enclosure is 236 l and it is only -7dB @20 Hz
If you want bassreflex the enclosure increases to 399l (!) but -3 dbB is now an incredible 13 Hz.
You can even make a reflex cabinet 150 L and get a + 3 dB @ 25 Hz and -2 dB @20Hz ...
And a closed 150 L with only -7,5 dB @ 20hz

The biggest problem , as I see it, is the very high moving mass . This needs to be in a VERY heavy and sturdy enclosure.

WOW
They are indeed freaky little speakers.
10 in a 63 ltr. kabinet will produce 100dB @ 20 hz with compensation.
10 in a 240 ltr -6dB bassreflex will reach 20 Hz -6db.
Impressing!

It has little brother (attached below) cost is around 27% less then get 27% more = longer line :p

I have a couple of these:Monacor SONIC-15MK2 - AUDIO CONSTRUCTOR -

I am considering using them as subs for my line arrays.

A bit of a strange beast too.
A q= 0.7 closed enclosure is 236 l and it is only -7dB @20 Hz
If you want bassreflex the enclosure increases to 399l (!) but -3 dbB is now an incredible 13 Hz.
You can even make a reflex cabinet 150 L and get a + 3 dB @ 25 Hz and -2 dB @20Hz ...
And a closed 150 L with only -7,5 dB @ 20hz

The biggest problem , as I see it, is the very high moving mass . This needs to be in a VERY heavy and sturdy enclosure.

Nice data there :) but if used inside a room why seek so low a f3 point, could be wrong here for your personal use but below is some typical gains from room. Think idea is then to avoid the typical suck out scenario as most speakers do seen in the lower example then to have either one woofer very close to one or more boundary or use line array to average out so as to get performance as in upper example. Example is from Jeff Bagby spreadsheet and can output frd-file for every each window in below example, so if spreadsheet is feed actual room size plus position and imported into REW "All SPL" tab it can be used for planning of how woofer response shall look to cooperate with actual room and position. Regarding ported verse sealed think Slope of room gain curve more often is within sealed roll off than ported.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 401.PNG
    401.PNG
    273.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 402.png
    402.png
    232.1 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
It has little brother (attached below) cost is around 27% less then get 27% more = longer line :p

Nice data there :) but if used inside a room why seek so low a f3 point, could be wrong here for your personal use but below is some typical gains from room. Think idea is then to avoid the typical suck out scenario as most speakers do seen in the lower example then to have either one woofer very close to one or more boundary or use line array to average out so as to get performance as in upper example. Example is from Jeff Bagby spreadsheet and can output frd-file for every each window in below example, so if spreadsheet is feed actual room size plus position and imported into REW "All SPL" tab it can be used for planning of how woofer response shall look to cooperate with actual room and position. Regarding ported verse sealed think Slope of room gain curve more often is within sealed roll off than ported.

attachment.php

I would go for the small closed enclosure with the Sonic - no doubt.
With the room gain it should be able to deliver about 114 dB @ 10Hz...

I just thought it was some funny results with the vented types.

I just made the move to JRiver 22 (bought the upgrade to version 23, and get to install 22). I was still at V21 up till now.

Most settings go right over in such an upgrade, though I have to install and set all plugins right again. The basic settings work, stereo still needs some fine adjustments (might have missed a few of the million settings :D).
I did get to work on the 5.1 Home Theatre, which is translated to 4.0 in my case. It has been a while that I really took the time to get it all to sound right. I almost forgot how good that can sound if care is taken. Only some minor stuff, mostly to compensate for the (tonal) difference between a real centre channel and a phantom one.

Will be fun to watch some movies again!

This was a quick and painless transition. Just tidied up the Stereo response and all is well again. In fact there wasn't anything wrong from the start, but my last ambient changes were a bit too bold. After setting them back to where they used to be everything started to align once more.
I didn't look into the new stuff this version brings yet. But in general playback it seems rock solid so far. Tested a few more movies and love it. I'll run one more test, the start-up of a race in Rush. That should bring some smiles...

Specs:

Let's do the math again:

Got to run though...

Somehow I missed your post - sorry!

In usual church application, the arrays would stand close to a wall or at least near a pillar, so, some boundary effects should be taken into account.

This little TBs are really intrigueging! Make me rethink the whole concept...

Don't know why I missed this one, Nice article by Mitch on Dynamic Range!

Recommended read!

Wow, great article. Eye/ear opening. Thats a must read!

Although, it's interesting an AC/DC album has a high DR. Might have to relisten. Agree with Dire Straits and The Police/Sting. They're albums always sounded good when doing speaker evaluations.

Last edited:
On top of the Loudness Wars comes the mastering differences. Some material I have on Vinyl never got a fair chance on CD. Just my humble opinion.

Though I did find mastering differences do exist between CD's destined for different regions. All of this can have a huge impact on what we hear or perceive.

I also miss the old days where real studio's where used. Nowadays everyone seems to have a home studio to do their work in.

Last edited:
It's very sad with the digital technology we have now, that it's being abused. Why? So it sounds good on the radio? Pathetic.

On another note: I find today's movies very enjoyable to listen to. It seems we have some good studio engineers there. Maybe all the freshman go into audio album production first?

My system isn't quite a tower yet, I only have 4 4" full range drivers per side and some subs. And I love how they sound. No more too quiet to too loud in a movie. I aim to have 8 4" drivers per side soon.

While thinking of how to construct an enclosure sturdy and heavy enough to withstand the forces from the SONIC MK III units, I remembered reading the old book from founder of Wharfedale G.A. Briggs, simply called "loudspeakers "(originally from 1958).
Here he describes different materials and made measurements of them, and one thing I remembered was the next best way to make non- resonant panels , was two thin plywood sides with dry sand in between.
In my case I was thinking about two cardboard moulding tubes , 400mm and 360 mm with sand in between and in each end a SONIC so they are working push pull...
But maybe you could use that technique in your subs , Wesayso?

I have attached the pages from the fine old (almost as old as me) book , hoping I don´t violate any copyrights thereby :eek::confused:

Attachments

• 2017-05-08 08.51.23.jpg
    2017-05-08 08.51.23.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 2017-05-08 08.51.30.jpg
    2017-05-08 08.51.30.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 2017-05-08 08.51.45.jpg
    2017-05-08 08.51.45.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 207