The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Thanks guys! Today is the day. As having friends over is ruled out, it's time to get busy in the garage! Got a great live CD of Pink Floyd from my son so I do feel like it's my birthday.

Thanks for posting that, TNT...

You made me re-think banana plugs. I ordered some locking type plugs. I found some posts on AudioScienceReview where Amir stated that only the locking type gave him the same performance as the peakON plugs. He sure does a lot of measurements to know the difference. A trial fit with bare wire with the end crimped/soldered to avoid stray parts of wire did not convince me.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Which ones did you order. I look for plugs with as least amount of metallic mass in them as I have a hunch that big blobs of metal do not do any good to signal transfer. Ifind the bananas above has a very good stay thanks to the spring loading that the slits provide. And they are thin and light.

//

Last edited:
Thanks Crumboo... how's the simming going?

I was pretty happy with the last results I posted. They made me confident that the selection of drivers and layout could be made to work well in the vertical direction. So I now turn to the horizontal and need to get as confident in that direction. Hard to simulate though, as I don't know a good way to simulate absorption in porous material. Need to experiment and measure instead, which is much slower...

Glad that you are back in the garage and hope to see some results soon! :)

Taking a small break as I am working on the division of the second and third wiring groups and this gets confusing fast :D.
As I am dividing the second group, it gets 3 drivers below and two above the center group, I need to cut and re-connect or extend several wires.
A small break might help me get it right in one go.
The second array should be easier as I've done it al before. Still it is a bit tricky to figure out on an array filled with damping materials and wires sticking out here and there... :eek:

Wiring it all up when it's still empty is a lot easier to do. I'll get it done though, eventually. :sleep:

Need to be focused and get it right, you guys will have to intervene once I start wiring up the speakers like this though:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 6uPLM3J.jpg.51d2f32b18980e61392973bef6d274d0.jpg
    6uPLM3J.jpg.51d2f32b18980e61392973bef6d274d0.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
First bypass is in, I guess the second will follow tomorrow. Measurement checks out.
Then on to neoprene tape on inner baffle and closing up the second array. That was the target this week, I'm still on schedule. :)
Slowly but surely getting there.

The next weekend will be spend preparing the outside for epoxy + paint. Forecast tells me it will be too low temperatures to actually be able to paint.
So it will be another few weeks before I can really close it all up. Boy, does one need to have patience...

Last edited: