The Well Tempered Master Clock - Building a low phase noise/jitter crystal oscillator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your word isn't worth any more than our attempts to throw you out of this thread?

FWIW, you failed miserably to throw anybody out of this thread. What you succeeded is to make people sick and disgusted. But then this could be the desired result, since obviously nobody will want to come in if you crap in the middle of your living room. Except for the flies, of course.

By comparison the inquisition would be a Caribbean vacation.
Luckily we are only on a diy audio forum.

It is true that my mind is very limited, but I have not yet understood what they want to destroy.
And even less do I understand for what purpose.
Maybe someone could help on this.

Anyway, as long as we can, we will keep developing and sharing our designs.

Reactions: 1 user
Chris,

you can ask for it another 1000 times, sorry but we will not change our priorities, I was clear but let me repeat our priorities:

1) support to the members who got our designs (oscillators, frequency doublers, battery supply system, regulators, sine to square converters, clock switches, I2S over HDMI Tx/Rx, old oscillators design and so on)

2) complete current projects like the FIFO Lite and the DAC Lite

I would thank George and Doede for the tests they are doing, but the measurements you are asking are not our priority.
Moreover, as I have already said, as soon as the FIFO and the DAC Lite are ready we will make some measurements at DAC output, but following our approach (up conversion) and not yours.

BTW, if someone would provide a configurable image reject upconverter is welcome, he will save us a lot of work so the measurements will be anticipated.

Finally, having read the last 50 pages of this thread, what about this?

The Well synchronized asynchronous FIFO buffer - Slaved I2S reclocker

If a better clock is useless to improve the performance of a DAC even an asynchronous FIFO buffer is useless since the key of its performance is just a better clock than the one of the source.
If it's not for audible improvement then what is it for?
You don't even recognize when someone tries to help you and your customers.
But if he answers your questions, it will remove the marketing poster he hides behind and thus it won't help his audio business. IOW, you will help other would be buyers but hurt Andrea. :idea:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
When Andrea first started this effort I was supportive but skeptical that the close in phase noise was important. The literature, both audio and DAC specific suggested that it was not important. Still it would be a worthwhile effort to explore I thought.

Andrea and Roberto have demonstrably made really high quality oscillators within the requirements for audio. They have acknowledged the potential for higher aging rate and less stability and no option for trimming the exact frequency. And the posted measurements are quite good.

However the core question has not been addressed. There is anecdotal suggestion that the improved oscillator sounds better but we still do not have the type of proofs needed to validate the claim. The first step, showing that the oscillator can have an effect on the analog output, we are starting to make progress with the efforts of several here. However there are questions to be resolved before we can attribute the differences to the oscillator, and even then what aspect of the oscillator.

The bigger challenge is connection the improvements to perceived audio. Setting up a good, statistically valid, perceptual test is difficult and running it is tedious.

I have no problem with people buying components that are better than required, whether speaker cable, video cable, master clocks etc. I do hope they understand that they are making a "feel good" investment, not one with a clear, scientifically valid benefit. Jewelry seems to be a valid human pursuit since examples have been found that are 4,000 years old. Audio jewelry falls into the same class. It makes you feel good. . .

If someone feels better having bought and deployed a better clock fine. However we still cannot say the better performing clock makes for a better performing DAC. I'm looking forward to the measurements and analysis efforts to learn more.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Sorry for the off topic post.

Seems unfair that if a moderator is posting as a regular user we cannot add him to the ignore list because he is a moderator. I can understand the need to not block moderators because you might miss administrative communicatons from a moderator. But if the person is posting as a regular user we should be able to ignore the person's regular communications?

Maybe there's a module the admins could add to the forum where a moderator checks a box when communicating as a moderator, the ignore list code could then not ignore those messages, but ignore the messages not flagged as "moderator" messages?

There is a forum problems area to post just this sort of thing. Or use your eyes and brain to skip posts from people you are theologically opposed to.

BTW your avatar is very funny next to your post.

I appreciate your experienced feedback. Andrea spent a lot of time and effort to build up his "empire" here and he is not about to let it crumble down because he gets good amount of attention (yes, some people crave that). So when he sees any sign of potential erosion to his "empire", he fights teeth and nail to ward off, which is humanly natural thing. The unfortunate thing is that his "empire" is built for emotional benefit and not audible benefits. :note: :eguitar: :sax:

You are too kind; there is a proactive pattern here, in which each and every other member postings (even in the dedicated boards) perceived as a thread for his present and future business/products triggers the fan in which subsequently a considerable amount of **** is fed. See the threads initiated by soekris, iancanada, yunyun.

When Andrea first started this effort I was supportive but skeptical that the close in phase noise was important. The literature, both audio and DAC specific suggested that it was not important. Still it would be a worthwhile effort to explore I thought.

Andrea and Roberto have demonstrably made really high quality oscillators within the requirements for audio. They have acknowledged the potential for higher aging rate and less stability and no option for trimming the exact frequency. And the posted measurements are quite good.

However the core question has not been addressed. There is anecdotal suggestion that the improved oscillator sounds better but we still do not have the type of proofs needed to validate the claim. The first step, showing that the oscillator can have an effect on the analog output, we are starting to make progress with the efforts of several here. However there are questions to be resolved before we can attribute the differences to the oscillator, and even then what aspect of the oscillator.

The bigger challenge is connection the improvements to perceived audio. Setting up a good, statistically valid, perceptual test is difficult and running it is tedious.

I have no problem with people buying components that are better than required, whether speaker cable, video cable, master clocks etc. I do hope they understand that they are making a "feel good" investment, not one with a clear, scientifically valid benefit. Jewelry seems to be a valid human pursuit since examples have been found that are 4,000 years old. Audio jewelry falls into the same class. It makes you feel good. . .

If someone feels better having bought and deployed a better clock fine. However we still cannot say the better performing clock makes for a better performing DAC. I'm looking forward to the measurements and analysis efforts to learn more.

This is a shining example of a brilliant post. Well thought out. Logical. Fair. Raising valid questions in a mature way.

Thank you for the contribution.

This is a shining example of a brilliant post. Well thought out. Logical. Fair. Raising valid questions in a mature way.

Thank you for the contribution.

Please educate me: what is your perception of differences between 1audio position above and and the position anatech (and other) are conveying for weeks now?

As far as my reading abilities go, nothing from what 1audio wrote above was already said, in all ways, shapes or forms. Granted, he did not call you idiots or flies, which is obviously a major turn off, but otherwise the message looks the same to me.

Please educate me: what is your perception of differences between 1audio position above and and the position anatech (and other) are conveying for weeks now?

As far as my reading abilities go, nothing from what 1audio wrote above was already said, in all ways, shapes or forms. Granted, he did not call you idiots or flies, which is obviously a major turn off, but otherwise the message looks the same to me.

Sigh. Nothing and that was my point...............

He isn't being a ****, he isn't attacking anyone and he recognises that the work is underway (not expecting it yesterday). Thats what people are complaining about.

There maybe some audio gurus here, but there are some examples of really low emotional intelligence and empathy.

Attachments

• SH-833.jpg
    SH-833.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 225
Ok, syn08 is not going to explain the 'obvious', how ian canada products and methods are any different to this.

Here are just a few excerpts from the most recent posts I noticed from Ian himself about a new 3000F super cap power supply:

I know I'm a bit crazy too. But I have to say this could be the best 3.3V power supply is the real world.

It's a UcPure 3.3V configuration with 3000F+3000F ultracapacitors pack. Only ultra capacitors will apply to the circuit when power on. So nothing compare.

I use UcPure (3.3V configuration) powering FifoPi clean side (with Pulsar OCXOs), the sonic difference was very clear to be heard.

UcPair with two 3000F UCs has the best sound quality.

The second is two 3000F UCs in parallel with a LifePO4 cell.

I did a lot of test and have a good list for different configurations. I know which is the best. But it's just my own experience. Just hope somebody else can confirm.

Yes, the main difference is the 3D image pinpoint. Pure 3000F UCs as power supply are absolutely the winner. That's only my experience. Greg confirmed this with similar results but he still not yet have my UcPure for evaluation.

Ian

I wonder what was written in hundred of other post of his, or what his followers also post.
I also wonder where andrea has said anything on this level, or designed the products to be as marketable and accessible as Ian's and amassed as large a following of customers.

I tried asking some semi-technical questions in Ian's thread, they were all ignored, I think questions must be sales related, no DIY.
Cant say a single question of mine has been ignored in any of andrea's threads.

Last edited:
You are too kind; there is a proactive pattern here, in which each and every other member postings (even in the dedicated boards) perceived as a thread for his present and future business/products triggers the fan in which subsequently a considerable amount of **** is fed. See the threads initiated by soekris, iancanada, yunyun.
Yes, I noticed. Following footsteps is humanly natural thing too.
At least someone was up front about it up front ("I'm considering getting one for my company....")

Status
Not open for further replies.