• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

The Well Tempered Master Clock - Group buy

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
But it would make a difference if the SMA connectors are mounted on the frontpanel not being isolated OR if you wrap the complete circuit in a kind of foam and let it kind of float in the chassis.
Can HF interference be picked up by the DC power cable and introduced into the circuit.
I think because it is an expensive upgrade EVERYTHING should be done perfectly. There will be things that will be hard to grasp but still they should be communicated with the users.
Greetings, eduard

We have not tested all the possible implementations so I cannot say if different implementations will change the results.

I have described our implementation, the box we have used, the cables we have used.
Of course, everyone is free to try different implementation but we cannot guarantee the results will be the same.

Unfortunately about phase noise performance there is no way to predict the results, the only possible way is the measurement.

So I suggest to follow as far as possible our implementation, or at least the RF basic rules.

A warning for everybody that uses the fifopi.

The squarer boards are plugged onto the fifopi with some thin pins, and they are not tightly fixed. This is not an issue with crystek style clocks but it can be a problem when a cable is pulling on it.

I use semi rigid cables for the connection between clock and doubler but to the squarer I use a thinner type in order not to stress the pins too much.

It would be an even better idea to solder the squarer boards to the fifopi.

Attachments

• 7B761090-84F6-40E9-8E0E-AB636F42E1B7.jpeg
    7B761090-84F6-40E9-8E0E-AB636F42E1B7.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 296
  • E7B7A914-A33F-408D-A9E5-ED142F67759D.jpeg
    E7B7A914-A33F-408D-A9E5-ED142F67759D.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 302
A warning for everybody that uses the fifopi.

The squarer boards are plugged onto the fifopi with some thin pins, and they are not tightly fixed. This is not an issue with crystek style clocks but it can be a problem when a cable is pulling on it.

I use semi rigid cables for the connection between clock and doubler but to the squarer I use a thinner type in order not to stress the pins too much.

It would be an even better idea to solder the squarer boards to the fifopi.
Thanks for the heads up.
If/when you install ReclockPi, you will see they are not going to fall out. Perhaps a little insulating tape on top of the squarer PCB will be a good idea. When they raise up from FIFOPi they will soon hit the bottom side of ReclockPi meaning IC to IC contact. Likely no issue but some Kapton tape or thick paper will work well. Then a good idea to have some stress relief on the RC cable. I use a wood chassis & connect the RC cable to the side of the chassis so if there is a tug on the cable it won't pull the FIFO stack.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Maybe using the 90 degree connectors so you can attach each cable with those stick on things and a tie trap.
If you solder everything the stress will be completely on the solder connection. Then i would prefer inserting it again the socket in stead of ending up with a not 100% solder joint.
Especially because these cables are going outside the chassis i would rather be sure.
Greetings, Eduard

The right angle SMA works well to avoid stress. I installed one and from that perspective it works well. Again if you are going with ReclockPi, that can be tricky. I use only one clock so I pointed it toward the front of FIFO so there is room for the connector. The cable just clears the pcb mount, then secure the cable mechanically to isolate the FIFO stack from stress if there is a tug on the cable. Another way that works very well which I am using until final cables arrive is a U.FL terminated RF patch cable. They have a right angle U.FL on the end that attaches to the squarer pcb and whatever SMA you want on the other. These are used commercially to provide the SMA outlet on the chassis and connect to the PCB. Works great and there is no stress and fits neatly under ReclockPi. I simply soldered both a U.FL connector and the right angle SMA onto the squarer to provide both connection alternatives.

unless you use very high quality 90° rf connectors, i would avoid them as much as possible.

they are tricky to mfg in such a way to they keep intact the impedance on the bend area.

In reality, an RF connector that connect to an impedance matched line should not go trough a pcb, an SMD hybrid is advisable.

a puny u.fl connector, if used carefully, is one of the best option for our freq range :)

Interesting... I wondered if that was a possible issue. I will be in a good position to test if there is an impact to sound as I have both installed and can easily test in a few weeks when final cables arrive. Add to that, I of course bought the cheapest right angle connectors I could find on Amazon.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
My idea to use the angled connectors. If they are manufactured by a reputable manufacturer they should work the same.

Because the Fifopi, the two sts boards and the ReclockPi all 3 need 3,3 volts my idea was to use 3 3,3 UcHybrid boards from Ian and mount them and mount them on a probably diy aluminium board that will be mounted with 4 stand off on top of the ReclockPi board.

Using straight plug will be a bit more difficult. 90 degrees angled plug will allow me to make it all a bit more easy . The UFL cables heading for the DDDAC mainboard need to be short so probably the two angled connectors will point into the open space between the 4 smd caps.
I could also screw a strain relief on one of the aluminium boards that can be easily changed also used for fuse holders, switches, output connectors.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• FifopiQ3, STS plus ReclockPi.jpg
    FifopiQ3, STS plus ReclockPi.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 324
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 341
Nice looking DAC eduard. With the 4x DDDAC and the FIFO stack it is a pretty serious looking setup.
Looking back at the FIFO/RCP stack with straight SMA installed, a right angle terminated cable or a right angle connector to a straight ended cable will clear the RCP nicely. Only my right angle SMA soldered to the squarer will have clearance issues.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
After removing the wave IO
It will be easy to install the stationpi pcb kit with the i2S output facing the DDDAC board.
IF the 90 degrees angled touch or nearly touch the Reclockpi it is NOT a good idea to use them. I remember asking Ian if the STS boards from Italy and his reclockpi will fit together after that he added a new photo.
The DDDAC circuit is right behind the front plate so if the two RG400 go straight up i can guide them outside through the rectangular holes that are '' everywhere '' on the side panels. Can them have a nice curve before going outside to the 6 board clock factory.
I think there the 90 degree angled connectors can safe some space. . Probably i will slide the clock board deeper inside so one will be straight angled.
Long time ago there was a publication about a vibration killing support using copper sponge material in France. If the aluminium housings can touch each other (i think they can if the circuit is wrapped in foam before sliding inside) this material works very well.
Greetings, Eduard

Attachments

• 20190414_184032.jpg
    20190414_184032.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 318
  • eponge-en-fil-de-cuivre-pack-de-2.jpg
    eponge-en-fil-de-cuivre-pack-de-2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 313
unless you use very high quality 90° rf connectors, i would avoid them as much as possible.

they are tricky to mfg in such a way to they keep intact the impedance on the bend area.

In reality, an RF connector that connect to an impedance matched line should not go trough a pcb, an SMD hybrid is advisable.

a puny u.fl connector, if used carefully, is one of the best option for our freq range :)

I use the right angled sma connectors and I also wondered if there can be an issue with the angle style.
But as sma is specified for much higher frequencies as we are using it should be ok?

Anyway, I ordered an extra set squarer boards and straight sma connectors for my future reclockpi.