The XSD Speaker

Some buddies have been kicking these speakers around for a while and I have been silently observing on and off as well...this is such a cool project and the speakers are just so damn visually appealing on top of the great specs and unique driver configurations employed. I just wanted to throw some kudos to this thread and this concept.

Reactions: 1 user
Christ the last thing I need is another audio project as I am a constant tinkerer but I absolutely - CAN'T - say I'm not tempted. However...if my friends build it I can drive out to Knoxville (I'm in Mount Juliet near Nashville) and listen to them and live vicariously and see how my resistance lasts when I see a pair in person.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Purebond is available at HD. Although I think we will be getting it from a professional lumber supplier. It has external birch facing and internal poplar construction and uses a soy based adhesive vs formaldehyde. Probably not as heavy as all-birch ply but I think should work well and look good. Important that it’s flat and warp free which it appears to be.
1681003092991.jpeg

1681003106655.jpeg

Here is an adaptation that I wanted to try out.
Six 8" GRS woofers, saves a few dollars and has more surface area.
Now closer to 6 ohms instead of 4.
Can't really hear or measure any difference in low end.
Punched the wings out 10 degrees, extra room for bigger drivers, and like GR Research does.
Added a small stand under, Its 3 in higher and the crossover hides there.
Made it two piece so any top could be made to work, and used drivers I had.
otherwise as close to original drawing as I could do.
Mids are JBL LE5, custom CNC wave guide
sm24867.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

LewinskiH01

I don't know how to answer... about bass.
its fun, fast and loud, but not like a live small venue up close Rock Concert
I test with 350wpc amp but use it with a receiver that has bass redirection and 2 subs.
I like bang for the buck and these take the cake.
still working on the crossovers, and learning...
favorite speakers from the past are JBL L300's but too large, plus old and expensive to build or rebuild

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Very cool implementation Congo5! I like how you separated the bass unit and the top so you can experiment. LE5 is an excellent driver and well suited. Your choice of 6 x 8in GRS woofers seems to have worked. You didn’t put the magnet inside in one side - that will reduce suspension induced distortion.

Are you doing your own XO or active with DSP?

Congrats!

You didn’t put the magnet inside
Have tried it both ways (like you), its easier to wire this way.
Are you doing your own XO or active with DSP?
have used active , no DSP And passive
active 2nd or 4th order is much better, like the split around 350hz
4th is a bit better but not necessary

passive is nice to be able to hook to any receiver or amp
still tweaking the XO