The XSD Speaker

Yes, it is 12” with a 12” passive radiator. The amp is Eric’s in the vendors bazaar section. They are “ fully discrete delta sigma amps” his other amps are 120watt stereo I have 3 of them doing Roon endpoint duty ( none in the bathroom yet). This one is a new one he is offering, I can’t build anything at their price point. I will use it with the XSD until I build the Wolverine.

Taking their rightful place in living room.

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpeg
    IMG_1387.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 612
Reactions: 6 users
Thanks all they came out great, grills are 3/8 plywood, stretch cloth on freezer and hold with duct tape and use contact cement.I used magnets to hold them on. One tip I learned when you spray contact cement on plywood frame tape the inside of the cutout. They sound great on the Alpha Nirvana, as they break in the peak around 2K slowly drops out ( 3rd full range speaker for some reason they all had it). Great bass no longer need subwoofer. No longer narrow sweet spot in the room, you can really tell a lot more about how material is recorded nice detail.
Bill

Reactions: 1 user
I will get out measurement Mike and test from the listening position. One nice thing about Roon It has built in parametric equalizer built in. I have a mini DSP with room correction software but I really feel while it fixes some things it degrades others, I was also using it for the sub out .
Bill

The grills do look great, feet as well, makes them look like a high end speaker, which they are acoustically of course!

I do prefer no grills for critical listening and I have made grills out of many things and normally do not use them unless grandkids coming over, etc....

Lucky for me, my wife loves great sound enough that she is fine with no grills or whatever design I want to build:)

I love the report about not needing subs as that is why I am doing 8x8 version hoping to achieve it, looks like I might have more than needed:)

Being full time in an RV that I added 1.5 ft to and completely different layout than it had these might not work out but sure going to give it my best effort. I have fully upgraded Edgarhorn Slimlines (subs required) to try as well which I doubt will work but Dr Edgar was my friend so have to try them at least. I still might have to try something entirely different but always loved alternative designs to bass reflex, ported, etc...I will likely test the SLOB section under the Slimeline horns with flushed in super tweeters as well, just might work.

I do like your speakers and grills, very much so!

Been getting mine up and running. I concur with WW on comments. Soundstage and imaging is very deep and detailed. Bass is definitely very tight, snappy, and strong. Mid and highs were muted for me in beginning. I agree that maybe the PRV needs some breaking in. Also, the amp I started with was not well suited (SissySit). I moved up to Aleph 30 which improved, and then to a MAC receiver @ 65wpc. This made a huge improvement in the dynamics of the speaker, and now the mids and highs are at their proper level. I've also got an XA252 on my amp list next so l am looking forward to hearing that combo.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Been getting mine up and running. I concur with WW on comments. Soundstage and imaging is very deep and detailed. Bass is definitely very tight, snappy, and strong. Mid and highs were muted for me in beginning. I agree that maybe the PRV needs some breaking in. Also, the amp I started with was not well suited (SissySit). I moved up to Aleph 30 which improved, and then to a MAC receiver @ 65wpc. This made a huge improvement in the dynamics of the speaker, and now the mids and highs are at their proper level. I've also got an XA252 on my amp list next so l am looking forward to hearing that combo.
That is the amp I am now building. ZM's package is making it's way here, as are power supply caps. Transformers, case and outputs here already. I think it will be perfect amp for these speakers.

Russellc