What is the ideal directivity pattern for stereo speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great to see the ETC curves Markus and Simon. Don't forget that they are "white noise weighted" so the floor bounce that gets well blocked by the rug might actually be fairly strong in the frequency range of interest (the few hundred Hz region). It might be interesting to filter the input at 500 or so and ETC it again.
Didn't think of trying that. I might get a chance to do that tomorrow, although it could be a challenge finding the exact same microphone position to give results consistent with the previous measurements. (As well as a few objects having been moved around in the room since then)

Unless someone knows how to take an existing impulse response (pir) file in ARTA and apply custom low / high pass functions to it ? I haven't seen any built in function to do this...

I ran some tests last night to evaluate different degrees of toe in. The speakers are described in this link - very wide dispersion, flat directivity, -3dB@60deg, -9dB@90deg from 500Hz-8kHz. I setup my speakers for similar early reflections even if that results in slight asymmetry in the physical setup. I find that to be very beneficial to imaging.
Can your software generate ETC curves from the impulse responses so they can be compared directly to our results ? Trying to interpret an impulse response directly by eye for this type of information is challenging to say the least, as the apparent amplitude of the pulse will be heavily skewed towards high frequencies.

I'd like to have 100-110° CD (haven't made my mind up on vertical coverage yet). Is there anything DIY that would fit?
I've seen a couple of really good threads elsewhere on this forum showing measurements and discussion of lots of different wave-guides, both custom made and off the shelf. I had a quick look at my subscribed threads list but couldn't find them, so I must have unsubscribed from them :( (This was before I knew you could turn email notifications off for subscribed threads, and those threads were too busy for me to keep getting emails from...)

A bit of a search should turn them up.

Last edited:
At 120 degrees the extreme toe out, the image was enormous. It grew the size of the room. It was more defined at the edges and somewhat blurry in the center. Sound clarity was OK but not optimal. Instrument separation was the best in this configuration. It is enjoyable for the short term but I probably won't keep it permanently.

Consider this configuration, but move the speakers much closer together. After that, figure-out how close or far away from the speakers you prefer as a listening distance.

graaf, you have a point here. I suggest that "clarity" is the opposite to "diffusity", and "spaciousness" is the opposite to "dryness". With dryness meaning something like very near-field recording without relevant cues of the surrounding space..

I agree but I suppose that for most critics of low directivity approach clarity is more about resolution understood as clear and precise reproduction of small details as those critics criticise low directivity speakers for loss of some small details

In my experience "spaciousness" can mean two different things to different people: Some associate spaciousness with more diffusity, others rather associate spaciousness with more "black" space between separately arranged sources.

I understand spaciousness as an impression of a sound space of certain size and specific acoustic properties and of a certain extension (certain body) of a sound source in this space (ASW) and at the same time impression of clear separation of the sources and of the space between them, perhaps it is the classic understanding, in this connection check out the collection of definitions in Markus' post (after Dr Wittek's dissertation):
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/121385-loudspeakers-room-system-70.html#post2120381

Apart from that there seem to be VERY different opinions about what is the REALISM of a music reproduction. :confused:

I believe realism can be only understood in terms of recognition factor - sound reproduction is more realistic when it sounds more like real thing
Can it be understood in any other way at all?

And from perspective of realism understood in terms of recognition factor spaciousness as ASW and as an impression of space of certain size and specific acoustic properties seems to be very important factor, perhaps more important than clarity understood in terms of precise reproduction of low level details

Last edited:
I believe that reduction of edge effects and cleaning up the direct sound accordingly, are very good (audible) goals, but if your approach to doing this requires higher directivity, aren't you trading response smoothness for spaciousness? You can have wide dispersion and reflection free edges with careful cabinet design. (Design the baffle as a 180 degree CD horn with Keele type end flaring, i.e.radius the edges.)

David S.

Then isn't a bit greater directivity a good thing? I mean, if I interpret your posts correctly, you advocate to minimize very early reflections (VER).

Tom,

It's good advice not to forget that most research is done by people who are from within or sponsored by the industry. But of course that doesn't mean it isn't useful: just be careful not to only read the (sometimes conventient) conclusions but also inspect the data very carefully.

Regarding your recordings, I loved the fireworks. It sounded good on my speakers, but a little dull. When I listened to it on my headphones at a credible sound level, I just laughed out loud. It sounded amazingly real! The Harley sounds nice and very palpable too, on both my headphones and my speakers, but I couldn't make much of the trains.

It's hard to draw conclusions from different measurement set-ups/software in different rooms but apart from my strong ipsilateral reflection on the right wall, most of the early reflections look quite subdued in amplitude compared even to the Nathan speaker you measured, which I find surprising given how live the room still sounds.
Replying to myself...I decided to check the RT60 from the same impulse measurements I derived the ETC curves from, and the result is below. It's not surprising the room sounds a little bit bright and live when the RT60 climbs quite a bit above 1Khz to just over 0.4s.

So despite mostly well controlled early reflections (apart from the right side-wall) the overall reverberation time is still quite high at high frequencies for such a small room. Could use a bit more absorption in the room to get it down to 0.3s I think... :)

Attachments

• RT60.jpg
    RT60.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 195
Most 90 degree horns have about 100 degree coverage. Do you think the Nathan has too much directivity?

Yes, I would want 100°-110°@-3dB (not the common -6dB) for a toe-out like this. Basically the "ideal" for a speaker that utilizes lateral reflections is two broadband lobes, one towards the listening position and one towards the ipsilateral wall. Basically the MGC-1 "done right". Don't know how to achieve this.

I'd like to have 100-110° CD (haven't made my mind up on vertical coverage yet). Is there anything DIY that would fit?

I always think the Genelec stuff looks like it should work well. Smooth waveguides over direct radiators. Looks about 120 degrees wide. Should hide the cabinet edges, as Simon suggests.

I've done a lot of treble waveguides like this (see my avatar, XA Reference Snell).

David S.

Attachments

• Genelec.jpg
    Genelec.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 188
  • genelec 2.jpg
    genelec 2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 185
Can your software generate ETC curves from the impulse responses so they can be compared directly to our results ? Trying to interpret an impulse response directly by eye for this type of information is challenging to say the least, as the apparent amplitude of the pulse will be heavily skewed towards high frequencies.

I don't know how to generate an ETC curve. I tried the free ARTA without success. I was simply using HOLMImpulse to measure the Impulse Response at the sweet spot. I'm uploading the .WAV files if someone wants to process them.

Attachments

• toe-left-30.zip
    592.9 KB · Views: 56
  • toe-left-60.zip
    619.9 KB · Views: 55
  • toe-left-90.zip
    629.4 KB · Views: 52
  • toe-left-120.zip
    635.8 KB · Views: 42
I don't know how to generate an ETC curve. I tried the free ARTA without success. I was simply using HOLMImpulse to measure the Impulse Response at the sweet spot. I'm uploading the .WAV files if someone wants to process them.

Here you go (30, 60, 90, 120):

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Consider this configuration, but move the speakers much closer together. After that, figure-out how close or far away from the speakers you prefer as a listening distance.

Yes, I'm keeping the speakers toed out for the time being and experimenting with bringing them closer to one another. A wider room would've worked better :spin::xmas:

Unfortunately they're all too narrow.

Read the Keele papers on CD flares and you will see that you can set them at any radiation angle you want. Basically a conical flare with appropriate end flaring to prevent midrange narrowing. If you make them much wider than 120 degrees then you are pretty much back to a flat baffle.

David S.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.