XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the link Freddi - that is a great recording. If you want to hear a good recording for transient perfect speakers, this is a good one. Sounds good on headphones but with my 10F/RS225 ref monitors running a Harsch XO, it's like BAM! you are standing there in the club with them. The XKi with PA130-8 is inherently transient perfect as it is full range, and the dynamics of the following tracks are nicely rendered. There is an amazing level of sound from such a small box. Lot's of air moving through the K-aperture. If I were to put a candle flame at narrow part of K-aperture it would get blown out with each major pluck on the bass.

Chick Corea (piano), Eddie Gomez (bass), Paul Motian (drums) - from Further Explorations CD.

Peri's Scope:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5NEC_2Svk

Alice in Wonderland:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nr-QwptUcA

I am not sure if the YouTube will do it justice, the CD is amazing.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
XKi PA130-8 blows out a candle video

Ok, I had to test it. Here is a video of the XKi PA130-8 blowing out a tea light candle. Playing some jazz and the bass blows it out as I suspected. Sound level is about 85dB so less than 2.8v drive. Cone is barely moving.

Change extension from .asc to .mov to watch video.

Attachments

• XKi-candle.asc
    968 KB · Views: 237
XKi with Sammi 4 inch fullrange

I wanted to make the XKi ever since it was first introduced in January, and I finally got to finish it today.

And it sounds... AWESOME! :eek:
The BASS that comes out of this thing is amazing!

Why didn't I make this sooner?(I'm kicking myself)

The driver is a 4 inch Sammi fullranger. Had a couple at hand, and since it's TS params are similar enough(to a newbie's eyes) to that of Alpair A6p which sk971(xrk's brother? LOL) inquired in post #110 and answered in #120, so I gave it a go.

I hope I have the measurement devices and the experience like you guys so I can post some numbers and charts.(well, you never know... ;))

Anyway, I'm so impressed that I'm thinking of building an 8 inch version with MDF this time.

Great job as always, xrk! Thanks for sharing the design!
And thanks to Freddi also, for helping me discover the Karlson! :D

Attachments

• IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1709.jpg
    IMG_1709.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_1708.jpg
    IMG_1708.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 821
  • IMG_1707.jpg
    IMG_1707.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 823
  • IMG_1706.jpg
    IMG_1706.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_1705.jpg
    IMG_1705.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 1,263
  • IMG_1715.jpg
    IMG_1715.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 842
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Bolex,
Great looking speakers there! You have some unbelievable foam core crafting skills there. The quality of the workmanship is top notch. I can't even make one that nice looking:)
Glad they worked out for you. If you have an 8in driver in mind - get me the TS and I will get you an optimal design from volume and vent sizing standpoint. These do have perhaps the most bass bang for the buck of almost any full range speaker.
:cheers:
Congratulations !

xrk,
Thanks for the kind words. I try my best just to catch up with you.;)
(frankly, I think it's all in the colored foam core, LOL)

I've attached the TS for my 8 incher.

I was trying to get this driver to work in the klam(and load it in a horn/paraline - just having all kinds of fun with it) but no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the unwanted sounds(ringing?) coming from the klam.(I must have been doing something wrong:confused:)

Seems it is much better using an oversized pipe like the 'tube', compared to the klam, but that's just me...

Anyway, this driver's range is limited(51~5500), and I intend to use it in the XKi for a 2 way(ekonowave?), or perhaps as a midrange in a 3 way.

Please let me know what you think.(I assume it is suitable for XKi, but is it...?)

Thanks!
Steve.

Attachments

• MO-08B100.jpg
    MO-08B100.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
xrk,
Thanks for the kind words. I try my best just to catch up with you.;)
(frankly, I think it's all in the colored foam core, LOL)

I've attached the TS for my 8 incher.

I was trying to get this driver to work in the klam(and load it in a horn/paraline - just having all kinds of fun with it) but no matter what I did, I couldn't get rid of the unwanted sounds(ringing?) coming from the klam.(I must have been doing something wrong:confused:)

Seems it is much better using an oversized pipe like the 'tube', compared to the klam, but that's just me...

Anyway, this driver's range is limited(51~5500), and I intend to use it in the XKi for a 2 way(ekonowave?), or perhaps as a midrange in a 3 way.

Please let me know what you think.(I assume it is suitable for XKi, but is it...?)

Thanks!
Steve.

I think it can work but you won't get very deep bass extension due to the very low Qts. Bass SPL=88.5dB at 2.83V, and if you are OK with a 63Hz f3, here is what I came up with:

18 liters (1100 cu in) total volume, width=10in, vent height=0.5in vent width=10.0in, vent length=8.0, front volume is 1/3rd total volume. Make K-aperture as usual with similar areas and aspect ratios of your last build.

This is about a 12 in high box, 9.25in deep, 10in wide box. You will need to increase height or depth a little bit to account for volume loss due to the vent and middle baffle panel and driver. So maybe 13in high x 9.5in deep x 10in wide can work.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
How about Mark Audio Alpair 12P?
Reasonably flat response, andre no whizzer cone.
That is the biggest fr driver I would consider anyhow.
Sd 147, fs 42hz, vas 43l, qts 0,285, bl 7,54, qms 1,98, mms 10,2 andre re 7,0 ohms...

Cbarth

I am not sure if the fragile paper cone of the A12P is going to be well suited for this alignment which really pressure loads the driver diaphragm. Note that the frequency response of this driver may not be as flat as you think. There have been discrepencies between published graphs and measured responses by users for other paper coned MA drivers. The CHN70 and A7P being two examples.

Maybe you are right XRK...
But I visited OlavHaal today, really nice guy.
He has Alpair 10.2 in FHXL enclosure and Alpair 12P in small br enclosure.
They both sounded really good, but I felt there was somthing special with the 12P.
Very dynamic and effortless.
They both sounded lightyears better than my poor, cheap Dayton's...
Sorry for the OT, but at this point I am terribly tempted to try this driver in karlsonator form...

Cbarth

Yo X, did you try any tweaks yet with your PA130?

I have a suggestion/idea: cut a disk from aluminum foil to cover the dustcap. Spray it with Super 77 and apply. It would be easily reversible by warming with a hair dryer etc and pulling it off. If you wanted to get fancy you could do it with a few pie slices to avoid wrinkles.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yo X, did you try any tweaks yet with your PA130?

I have a suggestion/idea: cut a disk from aluminum foil to cover the dustcap. Spray it with Super 77 and apply. It would be easily reversible by warming with a hair dryer etc and pulling it off. If you wanted to get fancy you could do it with a few pie slices to avoid wrinkles.

Yes, it's all in the Daytonator thread...

Sadly, I cannot try the aluminum foil mod on dustcap as the one sample under the knife already has had its cap nipped.

500978d1440764446-daytonator-pa130-8x-pa130-mod1.png

I have one remaining unit but wanted to keep that stock for comparison later. Also, I am good with potentially killing one good $18 driver but can't find the heart to kill two :)

Thanks XRK.
Yes, it is the 12P I'm interested in.
The cheap Daytons I'm refering to is the ND90 which I have a full case of.
Or actually I have tried 3 in parallell, and 10 in series/parallell configuration.
Apples to oranges comparising, I know.
But never the less, I was quite impressed by these 12P's...

Cbarth

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For the A12P, I think I can get a better result with GregB's Karlsonator scaled to 0.67x in all dimensions. Here is the predicted response (-3dB is 48Hz with 93dB sensitivity):

501951d1441229170-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-a12p-0.67x-karlsonator-freq-1m.png

With XKi, I am getting too much of a mid 250Hz overshoot from the band pass effect. It may be doable with more tinkering but I think I would go with Karlsonator at this point for best performance.

Attachments

• A12P-0.67x-Karlsonator-freq-1m.png
    A12P-0.67x-Karlsonator-freq-1m.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,405