XKi - X's ab initio Karlson 6th Order Bandpass

Recently built a small sealed FC to test out CSS SDX 7s as bass/sub for new studio monitor 3way. Sounded fantastic for about 20 minutes so I pumped it until it turned to crap. Inspection revealed that the paper face of the FC had been torn away where glued and the internal bracing destroyed.
a: this driver kicks butt big time !
b: be careful using FC for high power sealed enclosures (what was I thinking ?)
c: bracing is REALLY important

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Homebrew Coaxial PA130-8 in XKi:

502018d1441265706-daytonator-pa130-8x-pa130-coax-photo-4.png

XO internals:

502016d1441265706-daytonator-pa130-8x-pa130-coax-photo-2.png

More info on coaxial PA130 here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/279043-daytonator-pa130-8x-3.html

For the A12P, I think I can get a better result with GregB's Karlsonator scaled to 0.67x in all dimensions. Here is the predicted response (-3dB is 48Hz with 93dB sensitivity):

501951d1441229170-xki-xs-ab-initio-karlson-6th-order-bandpass-a12p-0.67x-karlsonator-freq-1m.png

With XKi, I am getting too much of a mid 250Hz overshoot from the band pass effect. It may be doable with more tinkering but I think I would go with Karlsonator at this point for best performance.

Thank you very much XRK, I really apreciate it. :)

Now I have to go driver shopping before I make some sawdust! :D

Cbarth

is there an XKi for Kappa12A smooth enough to do hifi midbass horn substitute duty? - or is it best to scale K15/use existing K12s?
- IIRC K12 with a Kappa 12a type rolled off below 100Hz outdoors

I think a 0.59-0.6 scale would be ok for "some" 10"

K12 kit which came with blank port panel brought back the full width rear shelf
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

this pair was setup for Tannoy "Red" 12cx
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Wow - nice!!! Those look fantastic. How do they sound? Did Freddi put you up to this? I assume the blue ones are yours and his are bare?

Lol, yes this was Freddi's doing :)

I wanted to try to blue stain just to see how it would end up looking. As far as who is going to get the blue ones and who gets the natural ones has yet to be decided.

I've them a test listen today and to be honest I have mixed feelings about them. I was comparing them against my TC9FD loaded .4x Karlsonators and I think I prefer the Karlsonators, but I quite put my finger on why. I'll need to listen to them further and give the PA130s more of a chance to break in.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I've them a test listen today and to be honest I have mixed feelings about them. I was comparing them against my TC9FD loaded .4x Karlsonators and I think I prefer the Karlsonators, but I quite put my finger on why. I'll need to listen to them further and give the PA130s more of a chance to break in.

If your ear prefers a balanced flatter frequency response, the TC9FD K'nators will sound better as the PA130's are not as flat and they have some breakup going on at 5khz. which you may be sensitive to. The PA130's will play way louder though, and they do work well in a 0.53x K'nator.

If your ear prefers a balanced flatter frequency response, the TC9FD K'nators will sound better as the PA130's are not as flat and they have some breakup going on at 5khz. which you may be sensitive to. The PA130's will play way louder though, and they do work well in a 0.53x K'nator.

That's good to know about the PA130's break up.

The difference in efficiency between the PA130's and the .4x Karlsonators isn't subtle, that's for sure. The XKi's are WAY louder.

to my old ears, PA130 lacked the treble detail of 4FE32 on classical guitar - I think the cheaper MCM is about as good for certain use - one thing to do with the XKi PA130s would be to make them into a boombox - perhaps detachable with a handle assembly joining them to hold a 3116 amp, battery, phone or mp3 player. Will a 4FE32 work well in the PA130 XKi on an adapter plate?

do the 3/8" BB wings "talk"? or do they handle the pressures well? - we might have to convert the PA130 to coax - or dope them

Last edited:
X - is there an effective and compact XKi for the cheap and cheerful Infinity 1260W that would do a bit more than just look cool? - is there one for Kappa12 to work in place of K12 or a midbass horn? - could an extra stub be useful to smooth and extend response?

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X - is there an effective and compact XKi for the cheap and cheerful Infinity 1260W that would do a bit more than just look cool? - is there one for Kappa12 to work in place of K12 or a midbass horn? - could an extra stub be useful to smooth and extend response?

Oh certainly there is as I have designed a 6th order band pass sub for dual Inf 1260W's. Basically the design could be halved. It's got a long duct and really us a sub-only not meant to extend up to do mids duty at all. Is that what you are looking for? f3 circa 35Hz I think. Upper reach is maybe 180Hz. Very efficient and very loud for the size.

I can't find it right now, but here is sim for similar driver from Alpine, the sim is for a dual driver 12wrd2:
449304d1416315458-pp-slot-loaded-sub-alpine-swr-12d2-ppslsub8-alpine-swr12d2-freq-1m-waveguide-maxspl.png

450570d1416884762-pp-slot-loaded-sub-alpine-swr-12d2-20141124_211830.jpg

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/264737-pp-slot-loaded-sub-alpine-swr-12d2.html