Attachments

• onkyoright-60dbns.gif
    onkyoright-60dbns.gif
    10.7 KB · Views: 547
  • onkyo-60dbnsrightadj2.gif
    onkyo-60dbnsrightadj2.gif
    9.7 KB · Views: 537
No wait..

The ADC do not have any idea about the input..
If it had a flat (understand: distortion spurious free) noise floor before, then everything must originate in the Dac..

What is tha step? From what I/V resistor to the 5kohm?
Are You using an opamp I/V? (Hope very much..)
If it is passive I/V then this is what destroys the Dac performance..

Ciao, George

And.. the excitation signal.. how did You prepare it?
How many bits? Did You apply dither? Be careful because dithering / noise shaping can help to lower the test signal noise floor but also is eliminating, smoothing out the Dac (DUT) distortion components..
In fact more tests would be needed. One with 'enhancing' dac distortions, and then one with a proper software upsampling, with the right, proper amount and type of dithering applied, which then smoothens out the residual dac harmonics..
This way maybe One do not even need MSB trim..

Last note: in the graphs there it is always that rising noise floor, it's because we tried all this with CD players, 16bit. So it was needed the test signal dithered down to the 20 bit level, applying noise shaping in the audio range.
This is the rise observable. It had been prepared by Pedja at the time.

Ciao, G

No wait..

The ADC do not have any idea about the input..
If it had a flat (understand: distortion spurious free) noise floor before, then everything must originate in the Dac..

What is tha step? From what I/V resistor to the 5kohm?
Are You using an opamp I/V? (Hope very much..)
If it is passive I/V then this is what destroys the Dac performance..

Ciao, George

At the time I checked compared to another DAC (the PC's motherboard DAC) with same input level to the ADC and the distortion looked very similar, but double checking I see PC's DAC distortion remains the same even when the level increased... the distortion is not coming from the ADC

I did some more measurements, changing many different variables to try to get a clearer picture, with some interesting results.
These were all with -5dB signal instead of -60dB, as im more interested in the IV and more blatant distortions.

It appears my op amp IV is distorting with higher feedback resistors, even 2.5k, which is lower than AD1862's internal resistor.

passive resistor or trafo IV adds considerable 2nd order HD but not much else, trafo reduces it a bit compared to just a resistor

Attachments

• m61.jpg
    m61.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 475
  • m62.jpg
    m62.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 469