1.4" or 2" throat large constant directivity horns you can actually buy!

You are deciding on the size of compression driver? 1" is a sweet spot. Will play loud crossed below 1kHz in a domestic environment. Crossing below 1k has its benefits as I see it. It can be tempting to use a larger driver to get another octave, don't compromise the 4-5 above it.

Have you ever compared 1.75" diaphram drivers to 3" or larger, crossed below 1000Hz?
I have and I know a few people, far more experienced than I am, that all agree on the fact that there is no comparison.
I don't share the >15Hz fetish, because of all the music I listen to, or occasionally make, 95% of the content is in the 40Hz-15Khz range.
Some 1" drivers may sound ok, even below 800Hz, the Beyma CP380M is an example. But it's not in the same league and the differences will be more pronounced at higher SPL.

Kipman725 also intends to use his speakers (semi-) professionally.
He would be one of the very few to do that with 1" drivers (and a stash of replacement diaphragms) crossed below 1000Hz.

With some of the latest large format drivers, you don't need to compromise. You do need to spend some extra money though.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A quick update. I ended up going with a 3 way solution, crossover points 500Hz, 1.5kHz (4th order acoustic). Drivers: Beyma 15 CM V2, 4xFaitalPRO 3FE25, P-Audio BM-D446. The mids and tweeter are attached to a P-Audio PH-4220 horn in a synergy style arrangement. A passive crossover is used on the mids/tweeter and the bass/mid crossover is done actively.

Sounds great, still need to properly characterize its performance. The bits I have written about can be found here:
BM-D446 on PH-4220

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 589
Hello,

This is all old stuff with the edges rounded and polished.

I think of the Image Control Waveguide throats as image control weirs with well-rounded geometry. The sound travels the paths of least impedance.

Someone needs to get close and measure the distortion differences among horn throats with sharp diffraction slots, these “new” ICW’s with well-rounded geometry and throats with no groves or notches.

It may well be that in our small audiophile listening rooms that we may not perceive a difference.

Thank You DT

This is an interesting comment.

The distortion will also partly depend on the driver and the extent to which it 'fits' with the horn in question.

Nevertheless it would be interesting to compare measurements of the M2 and this 20 year old, but still highly regarded studiomonitor.
A shootout would be even better.

mf-2-2__45556.1551366744.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
Would be interesting to know what the drivers and horn compliment is in the MF-2... Like you say Rob, would be interesting to see a comparison to the M2, even through the MF-2 appears to have higher directivity with the 90 x 40 (2380A?) pattern versus the 120 x 100 pattern of the M2 waveguide.

I recently had a member send me in-room measurements of the M2, and in his room, with no subs, the M2 is the first 2-way I have seen to legitimately cover 20 Hz to 20 kHz.

The MF-2 is used in many larger studios throughout Europe and in the Sony Music Studios.

At least the early versions were fitted with a TAD TL-1601a and the Sony SUP-T11 (Aluminum diaphragm).

There are also MF-2s with an additional AMT on top.

Attachments

• about_concept02_img02 (1).jpg
    about_concept02_img02 (1).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 437
  • about_concept02_img01_2.jpg
    about_concept02_img01_2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 439
  • img_81159_159173_1.jpg
    img_81159_159173_1.jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
An Italian brand offered 2 types of horns for a PA stack in the 1990's.
These were used with ferrofluid cooled BBC/B&C 3" diaphragm, 2" exit drivers.

The 60x40 horns look suspiciously similar to the Celestion Horns.

Attachments

• Formula_150.jpg
    Formula_150.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
The Axi2050 is 2", but Celestion may want to develop 1.4" horns for the CDX-143.. series.

The mid horn in these RS-880s is the mother of the above horns.
It's one of the best sounding fullrange PA loudspeakers ever.

Attachments

• progetto-06-large.jpg
    progetto-06-large.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 219
Last edited: