Aiyima TPA3251 Modification Build Thread!

This is an 8-pin chip with worn markings, probably responsible for the anti-pop function.

Attachments

• b4959b_LI.jpg
    b4959b_LI.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 597
So you can compare :

OPA1656 from Bushellj vs Jlester : (Genuipe OP amps from Mouser) but with different sockets, I also have some gold pin version.

https://ibb.co/tq6R43b
https://ibb.co/sj6j5Y2
https://ibb.co/TK3kPG1
serveur png

This maybe a bit late as this goes back to 4th Feb. If you are using turned pin sockets then the right sized pin is .5mm. This is what I supply on my adapters. Anything larger than this will damage the sockets !! A standard DIL pin on a chip is about .25 x .5 mm.

Many of the cheap adapters use much larger pins !!

James.

Some ask me to post pix of the last OPA board I did with all the bypasses... can't reply per PM so I post here :)

Sorry for the low quality pix (colour and of course all legd are straight, just my phone lense not liking close ups)

On the first board the caps are apart as they sit very low to leave air for the OPA... on the second board I realised I had more "ceiling space" than in some of my other builds and I joined the caps... sitting slightly higher to have some air for the OPA. Pretty academic anyway...

May that be of some helps

Claude
PS:

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 470
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 494
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 483
This is an 8-pin chip with worn markings, probably responsible for the anti-pop function.

This is the chip that provides the Anti-Pop function. It is not present on the Early Aiyima A07 which pops nicely when you turn it on. Later Aiyima A07 models had the chip present - I don't have one of these to comment ??

Aiyima A04 with the chip present are almost silent at power up.

This is the chip that provides the Anti-Pop function. It is not present on the Early Aiyima A07 which pops nicely when you turn it on. Later Aiyima A07 models had the chip present - I don't have one of these to comment ??

Hi, I confirm, the new A07 version has anti pop chip and the old is missing. I owned both and no pop @switching ON / OFF on the new version only )

Attachments

• Power-up-TPA3255.JPG
    Power-up-TPA3255.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 407
  • Power-dwn-TPA3255.JPG
    Power-dwn-TPA3255.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
This maybe a bit late as this goes back to 4th Feb. If you are using turned pin sockets then the right sized pin is .5mm. This is what I supply on my adapters. Anything larger than this will damage the sockets !! A standard DIL pin on a chip is about .25 x .5 mm.

Many of the cheap adapters use much larger pins !!

James.

I used a wire from a twisted pair cable there diameter 0.5 mm.

Hi fellas
First of all I want to thank you all the cool stuff you do on the forum that shows newcomers the right path to follow in this complex audio world.
Specially ClaudeG, Gilles and Rob for the astonishing work they have done researching with this amp.
This week I got my Aiyima unit. I’m quite amazed about the build quality it seems very well made. Could the nichicon caps be original?

Time to customize it :wave:
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_100349.jpg
    IMG_20210306_100349.jpg
    870.9 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_20210306_100327.jpg
    IMG_20210306_100327.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_20210306_095951.jpg
    IMG_20210306_095951.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_20210306_095931.jpg
    IMG_20210306_095931.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_20210306_095922.jpg
    IMG_20210306_095922.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 511
Welcome on board :)

The caps you have are similar to the ones inside the 3rd unit I purchased. Now, what is original and what isn't, that's another matter with these units LOL

I bypassed these PS caps exactly as we did in the past and it worked great again.

It is difficult to say if you would benefit from replacing these PS caps altogether. My bet is you get the most of it simply bypassing them, but of course going low ESR and high ripple can't harm. Adding capacity though isn't really profitable as for linear PS and class AB amps.

To my knowledge sadly no one went the trouble to bypass the existing PS caps and ONLY THEN to replace them to see if further improvement could be obtained - you could be the first and report. Some did swap the caps and reported a gain, but then the gain with the bypass was smaller, so did they really improve things overall and if so how much is still a question mark.

Note though that we did ADD consequent quality caps in parallel to the existing ones (more than doubling the initial 6000uF we had) and that made little to no change, letting us believe that we were nearly done in that area and hence not going the trouble to swap them (I still have them lying around), concentrating in other areas...

Good luck and keep us posted

Claude

Last edited:
Power socket specs: where to get a female connector

Hi,

Anyone has a source for a female power connector that would fit the amp? have a aiyima a3 and a5. Both share the same power connector and power supplies. If you read the audio science review states that the power supply is not very clean and weak, and it is a contributor to bring sinad down. I want to use a better power supplies, but I have tried with more than 15 dc connectors and none fit the outlet. Seems that the lead of the power inlet of the aiyima is a little bit thicker than most. A power plug is required to use with another supply

Last edited:
Power socket specs: where to get a female connector

It is a standard sized power connector - 5.5mm with a 2.1 pin.

You can purchase a simple adapter with the female plug on one side and screw terminals on the other so you can use a wire of your choice. It’s only going to carry about 5 Amps max.