Alpha Nirvana 39w 8ohm Class A Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, same PCB - just adjust values as shown. You will have to do a little detective work to translate Hugh's component designations to the ones JP's uses on the PCB silkscreen. But the schematic is the same.

Definitely use FQA for outputs and KSA992 for LTP as pins for 5401 are not compatible. For Q4, either KSA992 or BD140 can be used - same pins.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For 4R version I suggest an SLB per channel as 3A draw is too much for sharing with both channels at 6A total. To get +/-20Vdc rails from SLB assuming 3v drop either a 300VA to 400VA 18vac to 20vac trafo is needed per channel. Antek I would get 400VA and 20vac. Toroidy I would get 300VA and 18vac. One sags more than the other. You will need some big heatsinks as this is 40v x 3A is 120W per channel. 5U x 400mm Dissipante can probably do it.

Unfortunately, it seems I can't take part in this wonderful race - as I can't even get on my horse! :eek:

I clicked on the BoM link provided at the bottom of post #1. Unfortunately, what was downloaded is attached.

I cannot make head nor tail of this list. :(

So I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with the BoM successfully and has a readable list of the components that they could send to my email address?

Thanks,
Andy

Attachments

• BoM.pdf
    112.1 KB · Views: 152
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Unfortunately, it seems I can't take part in this wonderful race - as I can't even get on my horse! :eek:

I clicked on the BoM link provided at the bottom of post #1. Unfortunately, what was downloaded is attached.

So I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with the BoM successfully and has a readable list of the components that they could send to my email address?

Thanks,
Andy

yea- that Bom's a little densely packed! worst part of a project for me is parts procurement. I love a kit or a mouser cart. I guess some people like hunting parts down on Mouser, not me

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

Thanks,
Andy

Sorry that this has become problematic. In older versions of Excel, it knew that a CSV file extension meant delimitted text file. I think it expects "comma' delimitted and this is semicolon delimitted. Recent modern versions of Excel has become ignorant of CSV, perhaps as a means to forcce people to assimilate to MS's Borg-like expectation that all spreadsheet files shall be .XLSX format. A quick google search of how to import a CSV file into Excel. First, don't "click" on it to open it.

1. Open a new Excel sheet, select the Data tab, then click 'From Text' in the Get External Data group.
2. Browse to the CSV file and select 'Import'.
3. In step 1 of the Import Wizard choose 'Delimited' as the original data type, choose "semicolon".

That should work. Note that there will be a strange A with a hat in front of greek mu for values of caps. Just ignore the A-hat.

You can do a global search and replace of the A-hat with a blank, as I did here. I saved as an .xlsx file (zipped) for you convenience.

I love a kit or a mouser cart
Ask, and ye shall receive...

Here is a Mouser shopping cart that has all the parts you need. Courtesy of Zman01 (Thanks, Zman01!). Please do not modify it but save it to your own cart before ordering. If you modify this cart, it will change it for anyone else trying to order from the same cart:
Mouser Electronics

Also note that this BOM/shopping cart is for the 8R version. If someone wants to do the homework of changing out the appropriate resistors as shown in Hugh's schematic and giving us an updated delta-BOM for the 4R version, that would be great. It might be a good thing to buy the resistors for both 8R and 4R, as they are a nominal extra cost (maybe $10 extra) and you have both versions to use at will.

Attachments

• ALPHA-NIRVANA_BOM_001.xlsx.zip
    14.8 KB · Views: 737
Last edited:
Thanks very much, X. :)

Interesting what you say about the behaviour of older Excel versions. I was sure that:
a) I had previously loaded a .csv file into an Excel s/sheet, and
b) it was comma-delimited ... not semi colon-delimited!

So I was completely discombobulated with what I saw, this time.

I will make the changes for the 4R version and post the result.

Andy

Hi X,

On the Mouser project 2nd position there is a Samtec 3 way header for X111 - ADJ around the 22 ohm R113 position. I assume that is for testing to parallel another resistor with the 22 ohm R113.

Is this still needed on the PCB now you show a value of 22ohm for that resistor?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Power MOSFETs

The BOM lists the IRF MOSFETs, but X also mentioned the FQAs for higher dissipation rating, and I’m not sure what is now recommended for implementations. Are there any advantages to using the bigger FQA MOSFETs for an 8 ohm load? Life expectancy? Sound? My speakers are Joe Rasmussen’s Elsinores with benign, nearly constant 8 ohm impedance, which I enjoy so much that I think it is unlikely that I will switch to other (4 ohm) speakers soon.