Best Compression Drivers today 2022?

From measurements I had made using Klippel distortion rises pretty sharply on the BMS below 1k. I don’t think there’s any benefit sound wise in crossing lower than 1.2k.
If you want to use it with a 15” I would consider a 1,4” driver, plenty to choose from that you can cross at those frequencies.

I understand, but you’re still fighting the intrinsic nature of this particular driver.
I have tried to cross it’s sibling the 5551 in the 10” coax this low but anything below 1.1k sounds pretty sour regardless of SPL.
But you could just give it a try, nothing will break;)

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

about 1" for domestic use :

Had anyone the luck to listen to a Faital HF108 and BMS 4550 side to side as low as 900 hz cut-off please ?
Good question. I have similar question, but I want to use a cut off frequency between 1KHz and 2KHz (LR-IV) together with FANE's SOVEREIGN series, model 8-225 - go to
https://www.fane-international.com/downloads/FANE-SOVEREIGN-8225-DS141117.pdf
and Faital's LTH102 Horn
https://faitalpro.com/en/products/HF_Horns/product_details/index.php?id=903010110
Datasheets of HF drivers in question are here:
https://faitalpro.com/en/products/HF_Drivers/product_details/datasheet.php?id=502010170
https://www.bmsspeakers.com/fileadm...te/bms_4550_2011-04_hf_compression_driver.pdf
according the attached images (for compare differences concerning the internal features) there must be audible differences - but how would one evaluate the different sound character while a listening test ?

Attachments

• faital-hf108-I.gif
    faital-hf108-I.gif
    41.8 KB · Views: 74
  • faital-hf108-II.jpg
    faital-hf108-II.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 79
  • faital-hf108-III.jpg
    faital-hf108-III.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 89
  • faital-hf108-IV.jpg
    faital-hf108-IV.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 94
  • BMS-4550 recone kit-VI.jpg
    BMS-4550 recone kit-VI.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 84
  • BMS-4550 recone kit-VII.jpg
    BMS-4550 recone kit-VII.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 79
  • BMS-4550 recone kit-VIII.jpg
    BMS-4550 recone kit-VIII.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 77
  • BMS-4550 recone kit-V.jpg
    BMS-4550 recone kit-V.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 68
  • BMS-4550 recone kit-IV.jpg
    BMS-4550 recone kit-IV.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 81hWP9g3RoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81hWP9g3RoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 4pcs-Replacement-Diaphragm-For-BMS-4550-8-ohm-Drivers-Voice-Coil-44-4mm.jpg
    4pcs-Replacement-Diaphragm-For-BMS-4550-8-ohm-Drivers-Voice-Coil-44-4mm.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 77
  • S57eb06b9f64a4acca4663b10f650714di.jpg
    S57eb06b9f64a4acca4663b10f650714di.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 85
  • BMS-4550-H-1--Hochtontreiber-80-W-16-Ohm-2-555062.jpg
    BMS-4550-H-1--Hochtontreiber-80-W-16-Ohm-2-555062.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 67
  • 4550-8_5.jpg
    4550-8_5.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 81
Hello All,

In my opinion the best CD in 2022 is no CD at all.

In 2022 we are much more conscious of directivity. In 2022 Controlled Directivity is a requirement.

My comments here are directed at the home listening space including HT. I downsized from the home with the 600 square foot HT.

Horns all have that air compression, thermodynamic caused distortion signature plus the lumpy bumpy acoustic horn path reflection impedance signature. Like it or not air compression is not linear and causes much higher 2nd and 3rd HD's.

My preference is to keep CD's and CD signature distortions out of the midrange voice frequencies.

To date my favorite large format CD and waveguide is the JBL D2 bolted on the M2 waveguide. I think that fast flare rate of the waveguide is key. The 120 degree coverage angle is not to everyone's taste. I like the wide sound stage.

To date my favorite smaller format CD / Horn combination is the Faital Pro HF108r bolted on the STH100 horn. Next up is the HF111. Both of the Faital Pro drivers mention here have very flat smooth frequency and impedance in the utilize frequency band. we are talking a crossover point at or near 2.2khZ. This CD/waveguide package is much smaller and fits well in our home listening room.

Two nights a week my wife says, "no TV, lets listen to music". So it is a date.

So far the best measuring mid driver is the JBL 2123. You can buy them cheap used.

I have measured a lot of CD/Horn packages with the APx555, APx500 software and GRAS calibrated microphone.

Thanks DT

The new 2022 Purifi long throw drivers measure just slightly better than the tried and true JBL large format 15 inch woofers and 10 inch midrange drivers that we use.

Reactions: 1 users
To date my favorite smaller format CD / Horn combination is the Faital Pro HF108r bolted on the STH100 horn. Next up is the HF111. Both of the Faital Pro drivers mention here have very flat smooth frequency and impedance in the utilize frequency band. we are talking a crossover point at or near 2.2khZ. This CD/waveguide package is much smaller and fits well in our home listening room.

Have you tried the NSD1095N?

I'm looking to use a 1" on a Seos 12 crossed around 2-2.5khz over a waveguide loaded PHL 6".

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi,

about 1" for domestic use :

Had anyone the luck to listen to a Faital HF108 and BMS 4550 side to side as low as 900 hz cut-off please ?
I AB compared the HF108 and 4552 (ND version) and after testing many drivers I determined those two to be the best 1inch CDs I could find. The HF108 has a more pronounced and authoritative midrange with an ever so slight amount of squawk in the highs. The BMS 4552 has extremely smooth highs -- as good as any bullet tweeter and possibly any other variety of tweeter I presume. It is less suitable than the HF108 crossed at 900hz as the mids seemed a bit less authoritative. It would probably do the job just fine though and with some EQ likely quite well. I sold the HF108 as I find the CP755ND to be a stunning driver and the best of many Ive tested. I kept the 4552s as they are quite special too in my opinion.

• Thank You
Have you tried the NSD1095N?

I'm looking to use a 1" on a Seos 12 crossed around 2-2.5khz over a waveguide loaded PHL 6".

Thanks.
I do not know if that helps, still being among the best 1" many complain about a so so-so top octave.... where the BMS or Faital exhibit better testimonies from users. Try to google battle of CD at Justdiyit. French but eqsy with google translation and a lot of measurements.

So a dome in a WG it is - or?

//
Here in 2022 you often see a dome driver mounted in a waveguide.

Recently I mounted a SB26ADC-C000-4 dome tweeter in a VISATON WG 220 x 150 waveguide from mouser.com.

Go too far with a dome in a waveguide you start to see the waveguide adding to the impedance curve and start to need a phase plug, and pretty soon you have made yourself a CD attached to a Horn.

Thanks DT

Use a CD/waveguide for a tweeter and a cone mid-range is the compromise that I use.

“ In 2022 Controlled Directivity is a requirement.”
Asserted as though its a fact. It’s not. AFAIK its not possible to design a horn that provides excellent controlled directivity AND horn loads the driver, so you have to pick your compromise. Constant Directivity has been very much ”the thing” for a while now, but there are some very knowledgeable people who consider that CD is not so important in a domestic setting and that the benefits resulting from horn loading the driver amount to the better compromise. My ES290 bi-radial horns exemplify this.

AFAIK its not possible to design a horn that provides excellent controlled directivity AND horn loads the driver, so you have to pick your compromise.
This depends on your definition of constant or controlled. @docali has made some very nice horns that have high Radiation Impedance to a low frequency and smooth gently rising directivity. It isn't constant because the DI is not flat but it is very well controlled.

https://sphericalhorns.net/2022/09/...timized-william-neile-horns-part-2/#more-2378

https://sphericalhorns.net/2022/09/06/acoustic-loading-optimized-william-neile-horns-1in0-prototype/

Much higher than what?

Higher than speakers that do not have horn / Compression Driver air compression.

Look a bit further into my post for an example of a cone driver.

Cone drivers are absent the air compression and lumpy bumpy acoustic impedance and reflection signature distortions caused by CDs / Horns. You know, the distortion signature that tells you that you are listening to a horn.

Thanks DT

Higher than speakers that do not have horn / Compression Driver air compression.

Look a bit further into my post for an example of a cone driver.

Cone drivers are absent the air compression and lumpy bumpy acoustic impedance and reflection signature distortions caused by CDs / Horns. You know, the distortion signature that tells you that you are listening to a horn.

Thanks DT
i am quite sure that the pressures at normal listening levels are completely neglible... Can somebody shine light on this?

“ In 2022 Controlled Directivity is a requirement.”
Asserted as though its a fact. It’s not. AFAIK its not possible to design a horn that provides excellent controlled directivity AND horn loads the driver, so you have to pick your compromise. Constant Directivity has been very much ”the thing” for a while now, but there are some very knowledgeable people who consider that CD is not so important in a domestic setting and that the benefits resulting from horn loading the driver amount to the better compromise. My ES290 bi-radial horns exemplify this.

Rest easy.

The Audio Engineering Society Enforcement Division will not be knocking on your door.

Your ES290 bi-radial horns are Controlled Directivity horns.

You did pay a lot for them, so I tend to think that you are bragging just a little bit.

Thanks DT