Big coaxial with RCF CX12N251

BIG plans ready!
I made a rent contract with the workshop starting from tomorrow! MDF 19mm, birch plywood 4mm. Solid wood bars on edges. Sealed compartments for drivers and for the dsp/amp on the side panel. "Skis" that give some tilt for boxes.
20230212_192910.jpg d43c78dc-b3ca-44c3-9eb3-47897bb90225.jpg 4f6a1c50-a026-4c57-8274-c9ce749af845.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Top and bottom plates and front/back panels are ready now. Not too many straight angles to cut... I snapped my left knee tendons on tuesday evening, the dog trail was icy as hell. I rested and now it seems that it will heal with just support and time. Resting time is always useful for revising building plans and details!

The coaxial driver will be mounted from the inside and it's section of back panel will be attached with screws. Curved plywood panel cavities will be filled with PU foam and beveled recessions will be finished with glassfiber putty.

20230217_101420.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Speaker B's inner box was glued today. I had time to fit some supporting studs too. 4 hours work, all big plates were cut beforehand. Volume of the box for two SLS-12 is roughly 50 liters. I could get 15-20L more by making cutouts to sides.

spkBglued.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The reason I mention the volume is that for some reason I have always found big woofers in small enclosures to sound 'boomy' in the higher bass, maybe from 100Hz and up, sometimes in the 200Hz range. Even when EQ:d flat they sounded 'resonant' in upper bass. This is mainly based on some subwoofer builds etc., and did not matter much for the application. Subjectively I have always preferred bass from big closed boxes. I have no theoretical explanation for it, just based on the limited experience I have. Possibly distortion related, because in some cases it was audible even with low XO at higher SPL.

I think what I'm trying to say is that if I was building those enclosures, I would try to utilize whatever volume is available. Can't hurt, right?
Exiting build, something different!

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2009
Paid Member
How did i missed this built?! Better late than never.

I agree exiting build.

I've got an idea of what you'll get as outcome, i experimented something related this past summer (but with smaller drivers:8", and some difference in box and driver arrangement). My results were (very) encouraging dispite the woofer i used were sub par quality wise (generic car sub), i would expect yours to kick some a.. with 12" drivers of good quality. Your son will love them, i find coax to give a nice rendering for metal.

Juhazi, you'll use a linktwitz transform on the SLS isn't it? What is your qtc and fc target?

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
Kaameelis yes exactly my point.
Maybe i should have worded it differently Juhazi: what is the low end extension/bandwidth you target?

Qts, i came to something around 1.4 too from 3 simulator.
It's sure that used as is it won't be really pleasing but either by tweak or use or LT (or whatever) it can/will be corrected anyway.

It's just from my experience with LT i usually try to have lower Qts at start, something around 1,2/1,1. But it's just my own observation with the drivers i played with, nothing scientific.

I was thinking about Rallyfinnen comment about the 'sound' of eq assisted closed box: i'm not sure i share the generalizing of it but i experienced what he talk about.
With the box i heard this i thoughts culprit was from box dimension but maybe it was distortion?

And i've heard the inverse too eg Nht studio monitors, A or M20 (the one with slanted faceplate) where the 'manipulation' wasn't really audible ( until you pushed them past what a 6,5" driver can do reasonnably...).

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did some really crude abec sims to model that gap between the woofer cone and the baffle. Without any treatment you get a big discontinuity. The best result I got was to assume that the gap was filled with felt which would keep the HF out of the gap between the woofer and the waveguide and act as an acoustic low pass filter for the woofer crossover. Easy say; harder to do - have to find a felt thickness that works and a means to keep it in place.
Glue it to the back of the WG?

//

About low bass with 2xSLS-12
I have not modelled it at all in no way. I know that they like big box. I know also that normal size rooms and speaker placement near the wall or even in the corner will help with low bass. I know that my son lives in an apartmet, so he can't listen very loud.

My way to set low freq EQ with dsp is based on in-room measurements in final listening environment. Distrortion tests will give outlines to how much eq can be used. Settings require shelving and peak correction filters with some values of gain and Q. Too much gain can lead to digital signal clipping, amplifier clipping or driver hitting Xmech.

We will see how it goes later on. If I hit limits, drivers and amplifiers can easily be changed.

Yesterday and today totals 8 hours at the workshop. Some extra studs glued and openings to side cavities drilled. I tested fitting the drivers in cutouts and then glued on side panels, 6,5mm birch plywood. Top plate will be plywood too, like the curved front panel. Upper part of the back panel will be srewed on. Lower part of right side panel is reserved for the Hypex FA123 amp, no cutout yet.

spkB amp side.jpg spkB vents drivers.jpg spkB backside panels glued.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Good to see some progress, pictures are always nice!
I think a few more holes could be good to try to push the helmholz resonance up and also give it enough 'breathing', maybe round the edges of the holes too?
I like to do it the same way with the bass EQ, just adjust it to the room, no need to first do the LT to boost LF and then correct it down again to match the room.

Reactions: 1 user