DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Miro, if there are future Gerber releases, do you mind offering soic8 footprints again?

I would be interested in building more boards around the JL Sounds USB board and whatever new kind of stopped clock schemes we are looking at, but I don't think I'm a big op amp roller - probably would be fine soldering and leaving it there

damit, an interface problem due to the new site software, lol ! I had to erase a babylonian cuneiform post ! Too bad... maybe the Matrix Resurection ?

1640279114807.png

Edit : in ancient babylonian cuneiform, it means : "what sort of film caps are used in your power supply ?"

Last edited:
@miro1360:

Thank you.

I tested it by connecting the raspberry pi and i2s instead of the pc and installing moOde. I installed moOde and changed the settings to output in 24bit/48khz.

After re-soldering and playing music, the left channel plays normally. This is a sound I like very much.

There is no sound in the right channel. I suspect 74ahct164d on the right channel, but I would like to proceed with troubleshooting for more accurate diagnosis.

I think I could check something with the points marked DL and RL on the board using oscilloscope. I would like to know what this point is used for.
View attachment 1007962

Thank you in advance.
The shift registers are there to split the data into left and right streams for each AD1862. But some sources can output left and right data already - for example the JLsounds board. So you can leave the shift registers unpopulated, and use the data l and r from JLSounds instead. You can also use a scope to see that you have data going to each ship using those points.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Iggy,
Looked foreign to me. But my kids are teaching me well,LOL!

@intojazz,
Search for SOIC to DIP adapters such as these. Be sure to use machined pins so they fit into the DIP8 socket soldered to the DAC board.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13655#
Sparkfun looks like a good site. I’ll get some of the adapters and their headers. Not sure if the pins are machined , description doesn’t say
Thanks Vunce
Iggy,
Looked foreign to me. But my kids are teaching me well,LOL!

@intojazz,
Search for SOIC to DIP adapters such as these. Be sure to use machined pins so they fit into the DIP8 socket soldered to the DAC board.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13655#[/URL

@miro1360:

Thank you.

I tested it by connecting the raspberry pi and i2s instead of the pc and installing moOde. I installed moOde and changed the settings to output in 24bit/48khz.

After re-soldering and playing music, the left channel plays normally. This is a sound I like very much.

There is no sound in the right channel. I suspect 74ahct164d on the right channel, but I would like to proceed with troubleshooting for more accurate diagnosis.

I think I could check something with the points marked DL and RL on the board using oscilloscope. I would like to know what this point is used for.

Thank you in advance.

DL and DR pins are for USB/I2S device which does output 20-bit PCM format (jlsounds) (shift registers are not used in this case). There should be DATA present in both pins during music playing, you can check with oscilloscope.