DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Joined 2007
Paid Member
AYA5 still is waiting for parts to be delivered. Will be a next winter project :)

I did some distortion trimming with my AD1862 and got some nice figures - brought it down by not far away from 20 db 🙃.

AD1862 DAC Dist2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Vunce, yes I populated the MSB trimmer components but I trimmed it by measurement. I guess my ears would not good enough and I am not the most patient guy...

Yet sound is pretty good now, but it was before as well. Maybe cleaner, maybe not, probably yes ;-)

Today I ordered parts for Miro's USB and Spdif input card. Have 3 board available if there is interest =>PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
AD1862, I2SoverUSB v.III - not flipped, 20-Bit uf.l connectors

I2SoverUSB not flipped (pin-headers installed on the bottom side on I2SoverUSB) ... the heatsink and USB connector are on the TOP :)
Hi All,

I'm finally getting ready to start this project but having problems uploading Gerbers to JLCPCB. Seems to be something to do with the drilling layout (Gerbers alone load OK but of course no holes!)

Strangely - PSU2 loads just fine using Miro's file.

Any hints (or any spare boards for flipped or not flipped JLS version in the EU?) Warning: I have limited (but so far successful) experience with getting PCBs made...

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hi All,

I'm finally getting ready to start this project but having problems uploading Gerbers to JLCPCB. Seems to be something to do with the drilling layout (Gerbers alone load OK but of course no holes!)

Strangely - PSU2 loads just fine using Miro's file.

Any hints (or any spare boards for flipped or not flipped JLS version in the EU?) Warning: I have limited (but so far successful) experience with getting PCBs made...

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Info on blogspot from miro on first page "if jlcpcb viewer is not working, enter dimensions manually: 111 x 75 mm"

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Ok, thanks, yet I would like to have one supporting the boards footprint!! Any chance?

Btw, I had the opportunity to compare a, in every aspect perfectly pimped, Soekris, vs. Topping E30, ADI2DAC and my MiroAD1862 in a nice setting with great amp and speakers.
AD1862 was detailed and relaxed - very natural sounding, enjoyable in every aspect.
Soekris was relaxed, good to listen to, yet not as detailed. Voices were more recessed and not as present as I am used to. Stage a bit more flattering and wider.
ADI2DAC was very detailed, good to listen to, but not as natural sounding as AD1862.
Topping E30, even it measures well and has got with the same chip as the RME DAC, fell short. Slightly artificial sounding, especially compared to the AD1862 (and Soekris). It sounds great with a headphone amp I own, but not in a big system - more specific - not in the big system, we were listening at (biggest vintage IEM monitors).

Reactions: 1 user