DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

It was like that, a few weeks ago. I don't know how ALC works, but you already upgraded your PCM63, so it's not the same.
Yep. But it's still funny how the Mobo with the Muses02 works the same as the Miro PCM63P with the Burson V6C
IMG_20230515_195502_copy_1664x1248.jpg.41f12f8896da1d54a20c14b604c6da4d.jpg

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H81Amp-UP-rev-10#ov

Reactions: 1 user
That was strange, completely different PCs, different DAC chips, different principle of D/A conversion, there OPA Muses 02, here Burson V6 Classic and it sounds the same 98.7%. o_O
Then I was just disappointed in the New Class D OPAs, I expected more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Never mind, I figured it out. Leave all jumpers open for I2S output into the shift registers of Miro's board. It works.

Miro, is it possible to drive the TDA chip directly from JLSounds?

Thanks!
Yes it is possible, but digital ICs should not be installed (IC1-IC13) ... or at least IC11 and IC12 should not be installed

For connection read the jlsounds manual, or like this:
B1 = open
B2 = open
B3 = close
B4 = close
B5 = open
J2 = close
J3 = open
J4 = close
H1.3 connected to H1.1 with 4k7 resistor

pin 9 = DR
pin 11 = CLK
pin 13 = DL
pin 15 = LE
pin 12 = GND

(DR, CLK, DL, LE are marked on the pcb - near IC11 and IC12)

Powering the jlsound, either read manual or use default:
H1.1 to H3.17; and H1.2 (GND) to H3.19(GND)

;)

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes it is possible, but digital ICs should not be installed (IC1-IC13) ... or at least IC11 and IC12 should not be installed

For connection read the jlsounds manual, or like this:
B1 = open
B2 = open
B3 = close
B4 = close
B5 = open
J2 = close
J3 = open
J4 = close
H1.3 connected to H1.1 with 4k7 resistor

pin 9 = DR
pin 11 = CLK
pin 13 = DL
pin 15 = LE
pin 12 = GND

(DR, CLK, DL, LE are marked on the pcb - near IC11 and IC12)

Powering the jlsound, either read manual or use default:
H1.1 to H3.17; and H1.2 (GND) to H3.19(GND)

;)
Thanks Miro! I got it working okay. I have the newest FIO board and it’s config is slightly different from the older ones.

I do see the markings on the pcb. I guess I could try bypassing the shift registers but have other things to solve first, like a totally isolated and separate supply for the JLS board.

Thanks!!!

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
So, you are saying use two supplies: one for usb portion and one for clocks, correct? And tie the clocks ground to dac gnd? Wouldn’t that be through the i2s lines? Each one has a gnd connection and they are all tied together on the TDA board.

My plan is to build at least one supply first for the clock portion.

That's right, one power supply for the USB part and one for the oscillators. There is a galvanic separation between them, if you have only one power supply for both parts, you do not have a galvanically separated PC from the DAC. The oscillator part is grounded through the I2S connection on the DAC board. There is no need to make another GND connection because it is a ground loop.

That power supply for the USB part, if you want to keep the galvanic isolation, must have a separate secondary on the transformer. That part is grounded to the chassis via a 100nF capacitor, it is preferable to have AC GND for high frequencies, but it is not mandatory.

Only one power supply for the oscillators is possible, and the USB part is powered from the PC. But it is best to have both separate power supplies, because the quality of the power supply from the PC is not great, there is usually a lot of noise.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
JLSounds board now working with two independent regs, one for usb and other for the clocks. Sounds much better. Earlier I found it to be bass heavy and somewhat harsh, which was surprising considering it is driving the TDA1541. It appears it is sensitive to the USB supply as much as the clocks supply.

The regs I am using are simple LED mosfet followers, where an LED string on the gate is used to set the voltage out.

ChatGPT

Q : Is NOS DAC without any digital filtering better than DAC with filter ?

A: The question of whether a NOS (Non-Oversampling) DAC without any digital filtering is better than a DAC with a filter is subjective and depends on personal preferences and the specific characteristics of the DACs in question. Let's explore the differences between the two.

NOS DAC without filtering: A NOS DAC processes the digital audio signal without employing oversampling or any digital filtering. It operates at the original sampling rate of the audio source and directly converts it to an analog signal. NOS DACs are known for their potential benefits such as a more natural sound, better timing, and less digital artifacts. Some enthusiasts argue that removing digital filtering preserves more of the original audio information.

DAC with filter: Most modern DACs utilize oversampling and digital filtering techniques to enhance the audio quality. Oversampling increases the sampling rate before conversion, allowing for more precise reconstruction of the analog waveform. Digital filters are used to remove or attenuate out-of-band noise and unwanted artifacts introduced during the conversion process. These filters can enhance the perceived sound quality by reducing jitter, aliasing, and other distortions.

The choice between a NOS DAC without any digital filtering and a DAC with a filter depends on personal taste and the specific system and components used. Here are a few points to consider:

Sound preference: Some listeners prefer the potentially smoother, more analog-like sound of a NOS DAC without filtering, while others may appreciate the improved precision and perceived clarity offered by a filtered DAC. It's subjective and varies from person to person.

Source material: Different types of music and audio recordings may benefit or suffer differently from the absence of filtering. Well-recorded, high-quality sources may exhibit more noticeable improvements with a NOS DAC, while poorly recorded or heavily processed material may benefit from the corrective measures of a filtered DAC.

System synergy: The overall audio system and associated components, such as amplifiers, speakers, and cables, can influence the perceived benefits of different DAC designs. The characteristics of your system, including its strengths and weaknesses, may interact differently with each type of DAC.

Ultimately, the best approach is to audition different DACs in your own setup, preferably with your preferred music or audio material, to determine which one suits your preferences and provides the desired listening experience.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Adapters came :) I've put my favourite mass produced op, opa1656, to test it out. All is good, works well :) I've put film instead of smd, simply cuz i didn't check my stash, there are none left in values required 😅
20230609_171748.jpg

I've also designed adapter for dual to mono if someone prefers to use double on single socket. I've tested it by making p2p version. Works well as well. Mikorist has some on the way in pcb form, so we wait for that.
20230606_172031.jpg

Reactions: 6 users