DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Yes, I'm positively surprised at how nice these Miro and Pavouk DACs sound with these Amanero copies. I only tried the upgraded version with SITIME oscillators, it's +12$ to the standard version. They have several USB drivers for Win10, ASIO, WAP and KS, I use KS. I've also seen various combo PCBs with SPDIF, TOSLINK and I2S inputs, where you just plug in the Amanero, and you also get a small display and a remote.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364567616923?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey @miro1360 finally got one of your PCM63 DACs up and running, everything works perfectly. Very clean sounding DAC. OPA604 are the only singles I had on hand (apart from LT1021/1121) also the I/V resistor is just a plain metal film.

IMG_0721.JPG

After listening to the Abbado 2 for a while, the Abbado is more open and musically engaging, the PCM is slightly compressed and sterile but professor @abraxalito pointed out the limitations on the PCM DAC are the op-amps in this case, his Abbado features a bespoke high bandwidth output stage.

Luckily I have snagged a CEN I/V kit so can try a discrete output stage soon, however I will also try some discrete Diamond buffers from Sjostrom Audio and do a comparison.

Miro, for making two DAC boards balanced, it might be that I can use Abraxalito's phase splitter module on your DACs inputs, instead of the differential circuit you showed me with OPA1632. This means I can use your OPA627 output boards on AD1862 DACs with no fuss.

Very smart little device, perfect solution for any NOS DAC setup should it work with yours.

IMG_0722.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
ahaha, I made the good decision not to publish my complex (inside) 4 layers designs but the two layers for the small batch of enthusiasts here !

The 4 layers works more than good. Some had figured out maybe to invest on rare chips or make a little batch of expensive DAC. Or maybe bougth in North Korea to build Kinjals, lol. Who knows !

Or maybe a Sith purchased that stock of dac ic to rule them all ? "Always two they are, a master and his apprentice... no more, no less" :eek:
Humm, we should know at episode 6 of the Alcholic !:ROFLMAO:

Marcel's DAC is the way to go now... (but no NOS canon anymore you'll follow)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Properly powered ad1865 is a real little beast. Directly fed with low zout regs like tps7a4/3 at load supply pins onboard, crazy performance. So not that big of an issue with ad1862 stock :) Although rochester may have just pulled them out of digikey marketplace (yes it's marketplace, they don't sell directly). So there may still be a chance that they will appear somewhere as rochester stock.

Nope, of course we checked. There are chineese equivalent but I do not think they are offical distributors of those chips brands, so...

Anyway the price of those chips became crazy too much expensive already, as the price of parts on officials distributors platforms like Mouser, Digikey, Element14...

Last edited:
ahaha, I made the good decision not to publish my complex (inside) 4 layers designs but the two layers for the small batch of enthusiasts here !

The 4 layers works more than good. Some had figured out maybe to invest on rare chips or make a little batch of expensive DAC. Or maybe bougth in North Korea to build Kinjals, lol. Who knows !

Or maybe a Sith purchased that stock of dac ic to rule them all ? "Always two they are, a master and his apprentice... no more, no less" :eek:
Humm, we should know at episode 6 of the Alcholic !:ROFLMAO:

Marcel's DAC is the way to go now... (but no NOS canon anymore you'll follow)
Hey there, 4 layers board??? I'm looking to build a portable version of this marvel... but now... should use perhaps a more obscure dac? However, if you made it, my virtual mailbox here is open :cheers: :wave2: 😁😁😁

What is Marcel's DAC? Link?

I guess the memo got out about Rocelec…. The AD1862 is now more expensive than the coveted TDA1541A.
psssst.... found one for 29€, comes with its big enclosure with a strange rotating platter 😁