Danley Signature Series

"why no folded horn sub section?"

We don't know xo frequencies. My guess is to get best phase/group delay between "sub" and horn sections. Hyperion is a complete hifi loudspeaker more than parts of HT system. I would block BR pipes and run bass sealed, trusting to get some help from room modes and pressurization. In my small HT room I have a pari of 15" woofers in PPSL configuration, sealed. I had to suppress lows with dsp!

Posted response looks like around 17-18hz extension.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Hyperion-FR-wt.png
    Hyperion-FR-wt.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,158
Coax looks like the CN140. Wrong frame for the CN160 or CN162.

Does the advantages of using a coaxial driver, in this type of case, outweigh the apparent challenges involved in getting this driver to produce smooth response? I guess with enough dsp this is trivial but the factory response of these coax look soo messy compared to other, separate driver options.

Does the advantages of using a coaxial driver, in this type of case, outweigh the apparent challenges involved in getting this driver to produce smooth response? I guess with enough dsp this is trivial but the factory response of these coax look soo messy compared to other, separate driver options.

Thx Kevmoso,

The frame does look more like the CN140. But the quickie Hyperion spec sheet says 1" which would tie to the CN160. Left wondering ???

To your question, I keep hearing that the benefit of true 1/4 wl co-located sound-sources, ala synergies, sounds best to me, despite ragged response appearances.
That said, i do use dsp to smooth them out....

The response from either driver in the synergy horn won't be the same as the raw measured response. The mid / woofer portion will be bandpassed and the CD will fire straight into the horn instead of having to use the cone as a makeshift moving waveguide.

Yep.

I've never seen a small coax like the bms's in person.
And I have a hard time picturing how a horn can mate only to the CD portion. And an equally hard time picturing how the horn/cabinet also makes a sealed enclosure for the cone section, to port into the horn.

I guess this is where molded horns come into play...or printed horns?
Just can't see how to even get started with wood.....

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Mark

As far as I can recall, the 5" coax driver is claimed by BMS to have a dispersion of 90 degrees vertical and horisontal. Actually the compression-driver is playing through a 90 degree conical horn, that is part of the magnet-structure of the 5" dome speaker. So you wedge a 60 degree circular horn into a 90 degree horn, making it airtight and with an allmost seemless transition! And then you make holes in the 60 degree horn at the right places for the 5" cone to fire into the synergy-horn. The SM60F horn appears to be round in the throat section, changing to an allmost square shape at the mouth. There is a cut-away-picture of the SM60F somewhere.

Maybe that is all known to you guys. I´ve spend quit some time thinking how to copy that idea with a 3D printer, the 5" coax-driver is not that expensive. But I´m probably going for an AXI2050 or big 4594HE BMS coax-compressiondriver in my hopefully upcoming synergy build.

Regards

Steffen

Hi Steffen

It sounds like we are pondering the exact same details about how to match a bms coax to a horn.

The more i've studied this, and also asking myself why i care, ....well, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to find out.

The only advantage i can see the Hyperion holds to the synergies i've been building, seems to be smaller size and some lower extension.

Big disadvantages are the Hyperion specs say 124dB peak, and I've learned in DSL speak, that means 118 continuous. Great for most everybody, but will be choked a bit for me.
And smaller size size means pattern control lets go earlier.

Not being into HT, my 30Hz all-you-can-eat-SPL subs work...besides, it's easy to build a bigger deeper digging, sub if so desired.

So again, it just comes down to a smaller home-scale size.
I'm gonna stick with low reaching coaxial CDs in synergies.
Kind of glad to be getting this Hyperion build-bug out of my butt! :p

I explored that question here, a few years ago: Prosound Coaxial Hacking

I had similar concerns: if you look at the frequency response of just about every prosound coax, the tweeter response is not great.

It would be interesting to evaluate if flattening the frequency response with DSP would be sufficient to make it sound "HiFi."

This may be the case, because the response curves of these coaxes is consistent. IE, the response isn't FLAT but it's consistent, and because it's consistent it may be able to make a significant improvement with DSP EQ.