DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

Attachments

• received_704321833905078.jpeg
    received_704321833905078.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 256
Hi guys,

first of all, thanks for your awesome work. I'm really looking forward to build this promising amp!
But therefore obviously I need a suitable PSU... Since the diyAudio Unversial PSU is not in stock for weeks and I'm not able to find any information when it will be, I wanted to ask, if you can maybe give me a hint, what a suitable PSU board would be and where I could get one?

Thanks in advance!

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@Wolverine developers team:

Thank you again for all of your hard work! While waiting for the pcbs to arrive, I've ordered parts and begun designing the front and rear panels for my first Wolverine amplifier. As you can see from the attached photos, I like to provide attribution to the circuit designers whose work is featured in my projects. I'd like to do the same for my Wolverine build.

Are you going to copyright the design? If you don't mind be memorialized, how should the team be referenced (e.g., "Wolverine design team" or by actual names)?

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• F6 Amp Rear.JPG
    F6 Amp Rear.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 190
  • F5T Rear Panel.jpg
    F5T Rear Panel.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 165
  • BA2018 Preamp (rear).JPG
    BA2018 Preamp (rear).JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 175
  • SG-4 Rear Panel (Final).jpg
    SG-4 Rear Panel (Final).jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 196
  • UFSP (Rear).JPG
    UFSP (Rear).JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: 1 user
Getting ready to put an order in- I don't always get the nuances between output transistors. Between these two:

2SC5200OTU/2SA1943OTU
MJL4281AG/MJL4302AG

Would there be a difference I can hear? The first ones are a couple bucks cheaper and more plentiful, but if the MJL4281AG/MJL4302AG would perform better they are not much more.

Joined 2016
Paid Member

Thank you again for all of your hard work! While waiting for the pcbs to arrive, I've ordered parts and begun designing the front and rear panels for my first Wolverine amplifier. As you can see from the attached photos, I like to provide attribution to the circuit designers whose work is featured in my projects. I'd like to do the same for my Wolverine build.

Are you going to copyright the design? If you don't mind be memorialized, how should the team be referenced (e.g., "Wolverine design team" or by actual names)?

Regards,
Scott
That's a Nice thought Scott, I'll ask the other members of the team and get back to you.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's, please find attach a very informative document by @Bonsai (How to Wire-up an Audio Amplifier) I recommend that everyone read it and try and adhere to its layout suggestions. I also recommend checking out Tiger Toroids for your transformers. If you choose to go with them please use the following transformers spec. when ordering.

• Stabilized core
  • Goss band
  • Interwinding screen
  • Cloth blind
  • Double impregnated

Attachments

• Ground-Loops.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 536
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi Guy's, please find attach a very informative document by @Bonsai (How to Wire-up an Audio Amplifier) I recommend that everyone read it and try and adhere to its layout suggestions. I also recommend checking out Tiger Toroids for your transformers. If you choose to go with them please use the following transformers spec. when ordering.

• Stabilized core
  • Goss band
  • Interwinding screen
  • Cloth blind
  • Double impregnated
Hi Guys,

I have recently re-wired an amplifier using this method, I would strongly recommend to apply the techniques in Bonsai's document.

The improvement I saw was 10 fold in that I started with approximately 0.3 mV of "hum and noise" and after applying all the techniques I ended up with 22 uV to 26 uV (microvolts) which is essentially dead silence ear on woofer or tweeter.

It is well worth the read, I certainly learned a few new tricks.

Credit to Bonsai for putting this information out there and Stuart for sharing the document here.

- Dan

Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I have recently re-wired an amplifier using this method, I would strongly recommend to apply the techniques in Bonsai's document.

The improvement I saw was 10 fold in that I started with approximately 0.3 mV of "hum and noise" and after applying all the techniques I ended up with 22 uV to 26 uV (microvolts) which is essentially dead silence ear on woofer or tweeter.

It is well worth the read, I certainly learned a few new tricks.

Credit to Bonsai for putting this information out there and Stuart for sharing the document here.

- Dan
Thanks for that @danieljw I added the file to the project Dropbox for easy access

Joined 2016
Paid Member

Regards,

Regards,
Scott
Hi Scott,
Feel free to use "The Wolverine Design Team".
@ostripper ,@keantoken ,@Harry3 ,@jjs ,@stuartmp ,@Johno ,@neilshop ,@thimios ,@thompsontechs , @Brettn56 ,@vargasmongo3435

No @ symbol of course 👍

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's

I am very pleased to announce that Jeremy and I have received all the PCB's safety for the group buy.

Over the next few days we will count, sort and start organising them ready for shipping.

While I know everyone will be super keen to get their boards please remember that we both have day jobs and family commitments so please don't expect your boards next week. We will probably process them in batches based on location to help us with the task ahead of us.

Please be patient and know we are working as fast as we can and doing this for you guys at the expense of time building our own amplifier.

I will keep you all updated.

Attachments

• IMG-20220407-WA0013(1).jpg
    IMG-20220407-WA0013(1).jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG-20220407-WA0014(1).jpg
    IMG-20220407-WA0014(1).jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 221
  • Thank You
Reactions: 9 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Hi Guy's

I am very pleased to announce that Jeremy and I have received all the PCB's safety for the group buy.

Over the next few days we will count, sort and start organising them ready for shipping.

While I know everyone will be super keen to get their boards please remember that we both have day jobs and family commitments so please don't expect your boards next week. We will probably process them in batches based on location to help us with the task ahead of us.

Please be patient and know we are working as fast as we can and doing this for you guys at the expense of time building our own amplifier.

I will keep you all updated.

May I ask what the total number of orders was?

Wondering what the potential number of DIYAudio users on here building this amp...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
May I ask what the total number of orders was?

Wondering what the potential number of DIYAudio users on here building this amp...
Hi Dave,

While I'm not going to reveal that information I will say that the group buy was well received and hence the effort that has gone into the project and documentation by all the Wolverine Team.

So rest assured you are one of many building this amplifier.

Once the PCB's have been shipped I will start a new Wolverine Build Thread so people can show the progress of their build.

Reactions: 6 users