DIYA store "Wolverine" (Son of Badger) .... suggestions ??

2SC5200OTU/2SA1943OTU
MJL4281AG/MJL4302AG

Would there be a difference I can hear?

If you look at the specs for the toshiba devices they are 150w vs 230w also look at the safe operating area curves too
The two types are similar in construction so I would think that there is no difference in sound, just power differences. The toshiba are considerably cheaper and available today.
If anyone is interested I have designed a power supply and softstart/AC inlet pcbs for the dissipante chassis, I’ll post a couple of pics showing them installed in the BC-1 amp. The PS uses a triple footprint for 35 & 40mm snap-in ecaps, C-R-C type. I was thinking of another version to use the larger 50mm D ecaps for higher capacity, The pcbs fit the optional pierced bottom pan, can mount H or V orientation.

Attachments

• IMG_0798.JPG
    IMG_0798.JPG
    539.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0844.JPG
    IMG_0844.JPG
    560.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi All,

Stuart and wolveriene team, appreciate you efforts on this project !!!

What is the best suited PSU for this project ? how many "uf" capacitance is to considered per channel (considering dual mono of EF-3 , 4 pair version) ?

Can I use mix and match of PSU caps ? If I have 2 Nichicon and 2 Samwa of same value (10000uf each for example) can I club them and use it in single PSU ?

Regards,

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Stuart,

Is there a way you can document the changes in the BOM with a dated Change Log at the end of the BOM?

I ordered my parts off the first list and every time a see a new date on the BOM, it takes a while to check each item.

Thank you,

David.
Good point, I'll speak with Harry and come up with some type of practical revision system.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

I am currently recording a video blog of my build of the Wolverine amplifier,
It may be helpful for people who are building the mighty Wolverine.

Please see youtube link:

Hopefully some people will follow along as I plan to share some amplifier construction tips along the way.

Reactions: 11 users
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's.

Harry has updated the BOM in the Dropbox folder.
Revision are noted down the bottom.
It was just some house keeping no values or components changed.

I made a small change to the Build Guide. Revisions noted at the end of the file.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 6 users
Is there a final working schematic for this?
All the documentation has been shared with those who purchased PCBs in the Group Buy, which is now closed. We will wait a little longer before posting all the details to allow those people to complete their parts purchasing, noting that with so much ordering at once many bits are in short or no supply.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hi Guy's,

I have sorted and packed up all my orders ready for dispach.

I tried to ship all the Australian orders on Saturday but the post office was closed due to Easter.

I will get to them as soon as I can.
I also now have to isolate for a week because my wife tested positive to COVID so I can't send anything for at least 7 days.

I still have to fill out all the customs forms for every order that is being shipped outside of Australia.
Boy that's a fun job let me tell you.

Oh well. Once its done I can take a break for a bit.

Please keep an eye out for a personal email (not diyaudio pm) from me for the payment of postage. The details of which are explained in that email.

Stay safe guys and I'll update you all in a week or so.

• Thank You
Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Wishing your family a healthy and speedy path through COVID. Thanks again for everything you and the team have done to make this come to life. It's no small task, and it certainly hasn't gone unnoticed. Plus, at least in my area, the weather should finally be above 0C consistently through our fall season, so building will be put to the back burner while enjoying the outdoors. My box-o-parts will wait. No hurries and no worries.

:cheers: :worship:

All the documentation has been shared with those who purchased PCBs in the Group Buy, which is now closed. We will wait a little longer before posting all the details to allow those people to complete their parts purchasing, noting that with so much ordering at once many bits are in short or no supply.
I don't need the documentation, I will design my own PCB. All I need is a schematic. Is that schematic from the first post correct?

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I don't need the documentation, I will design my own PCB. All I need is a schematic. Is that schematic from the first post correct?
Design your own pcb... hold on.... do you realise that approximately 1200 hours of my time went into the PCB's that we are releasing. Then add to that the combined knowledge of the 10 other guys on the design team. Then add to that the 4 prototypes that we built and tested and you want to design your own?

Please go right ahead but that makes no sense to me.

As it's been said before the schematic has definitely changed from the ones published in the thread so far.

Reactions: 5 users
Only thing thatI know is that I've been following this thread from the beginning and I'm pretty sure that this job couldn't have been done better than Stuart et al did. He has dealt with every aspect of this project with a manic care, from the schematic to the simulation, from the PCB layout to component selection and prototyping. With all due respect, I don't know who you are and what are your skills, but if you're interested in this project, trust Stuart's work and join the next GB. He isn't doing absolutely nothing for money.

Gaetano.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Only thing thatI know is that I've been following this thread from the beginning and I'm pretty sure that this job couldn't have been done better than Stuart et al did. He has dealt with every aspect of this project with a manic care, from the schematic to the simulation, from the PCB layout to component selection and prototyping. With all due respect, I don't know who you are and what are your skills, but if you're interested in this project, trust Stuart's work and join the next GB. He isn't doing absolutely nothing for money.

Gaetano.
Thanks for your kind words @gaetano but this project was 100% a group effort. No one person could complete this project to this level by themselves is just not practical or possible to stay focused on something for this long without many things being overlooked and plenty of mistakes throughout. This was group effort by the Wolverine team that followed on from the initial 6 months discussions here on the forum.
I wouldn't like to guess the total man hours put in to this project. But if we can deliver this amplifier to all who recognise and respect our efforts and they in turn are able to easily build and enjoy this amplifier then its all been worth it and why we did it in the first place. Not for money that's for sure.

Reactions: 2 users