Fast, fun, Inexpensive OB project

Joined 2021
Paid Member
This density foam has no effect on bass ...

P.S. But I have a question about your listing. What specific album called "Moon ray" do you mean?
Sorry for answering so late, last week I was in hospital and had a surgery.

Regarding foam, I know that there is no direct impact, but the bass has changed anyway - and if this is clearly noticed by Mrs. Plott (although not interested in music or hi-fi), then there must be an effect.

The album what I mean is this one: Yoshio Otomo quartet with Tsuyoshi Yamamoto, from the label Three Blind Mice.

CMRS-57 (1).jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
As you've noticed John Busch hasn't posted here for a few months. That's because he's been dealing with serious health issues since January. Doctors had to drill two holes in his head, which never makes one feel great. He hasn't been able to do much work, as you might expect. I spoke to John again last night, he's convalescing nicely, but doesn't have the physical strength or ability to do any speaker or crossover work in the foreseeable future. He's not happy about that, as he had some new designs that he was near to getting finished and published.

So for the meantime, I will be answering questions as best I can and helping you with your designs and builds. There won't be any new designs coming. John says hello to all of you and thanks you for your keen interest in the design. :up:

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
Get well soon, John. Thanks for the design. I spent a few days with my son in May building a Manzanita - we live several thousand miles apart - and I thoroughly enjoyed the time spent together building your design.

Now if only I could get a few of those big Erse inductors - it’s the only piece missing to complete the Manzanitas (one pair for my son, one pair for me) and Parts Express keep pushing the ‘expected arrival date’ back. Erse allow you to order then cancel the order next day! Any other source?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Erse is going thru changes at the moment, the founder died recently.
Does Madisound have anything in stock?
Also, you can use this: https://www.parts-express.com/100-Hz-High-Pass-8-Ohm-Crossover-266-462
Normally I recommend the 100Hz low pass, but it's on back order. The high pass should have an inductor of about 18mH. Its DCR will be higher than the big Erse coil, but it's useful until other coils are available.

Erse is going thru changes at the moment, the founder died recently.
Does Madisound have anything in stock?
Also, you can use this: https://www.parts-express.com/100-Hz-High-Pass-8-Ohm-Crossover-266-462
Normally I recommend the 100Hz low pass, but it's on back order. The high pass should have an inductor of about 18mH. Its DCR will be higher than the big Erse coil, but it's useful until other coils are available.
Thanks, Pano. Appreciate the prompt response. I had checked Madisound in April, will check again. And I’ll certainly try that 18mH in the PE link - thank you.

Right after I posted above I saw a thread that explained the Erse situation so I guess that explains the non- delivery of the PE orders. Think I’ll leave my order in at PE and hopefully UScoils deliver soonish.

I am not able to import in my country the inductor that is required to make the Manzanita so I have no choice but to go active miniDSP. Has anyone done here and can share the miniDSP file. Cause I dont know yet how to use REW and set it. I have both miniDSP 2x4 and 2x4HD and 2 Hypex nCore amps stereo. I have the Peerless FR and the GRS 15" woofer

regards
anand

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't have a miniDSP to generate the files, but I think that you need the 2-way crossover plug-in. The plug-in should be easy to use, you just choose the filter type and the frequency. When you have that working, start with a 1st order low pass at 60Hz for the woofer. Use 1st order high pass for the Vifa at 750Hz. Match levels by turning up and down the amplifier volumes. Once you have it working, let us know and we can help fine tune it.

I am very interested to build this OB but moved recently to the US hence lots of challenges in procuring the base wood baffles, driver cut outs maybe CNC or using router no tools yet. I am in Naperville, IL area will be willing to pay to get the baffles cut and shipped if not local as I can do the fixing/glue, crossover etc., myself.

Thanks