Is a 'super tweeter' REALLY noticeable ?

We had a set from Radio Shack used with my Dad’s IB Jensen speakers from the ‘60s.
They were pretty subtle if I recall, and I’m sure my hearing was much better then too.

Attachments

• 53AA0146-3C4C-4B89-98BE-1AC86305ED5F.jpeg
    53AA0146-3C4C-4B89-98BE-1AC86305ED5F.jpeg
    48 KB · Views: 317
Boys, TBH, I think you are going way off-topic with bullet tweeters. :D

274995d1333360770-classic-monitor-designs-spendor_bc1_troels_gravesen-jpg

In this context we are looking for a 19mm tweeter with good dispersion:

SB19ST-C000-4 :: SB Acoustics

I have to admit that I am currently far more interested if my second team, the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC beat the LA Rams tonight. I smell weakness in the Patriots this year.

Real-time NFL Scores | NFL.com

IMO, the NFC is a lottery for Superbowl. NFL Standings | NFL.com

My own Minnesota Vikings are probably as good as anyone. But a bit weak in defense at corner. Time will tell.

I can only tell you what I know. What we call "American Football" is a superb derivative of Rugby. :D

Back in the day, Minnesota was a splendid franchise. Built on Defense. Unlucky enough to be paired in the NFC North with the equally splendid "Green Bay Packers".

Ye God's, how the Green Bay Packers have frustrated our ambitions. TBH, I am not holding out for a "Vikes" Superbowl win this year. We have to get past Green Bay this year with home advantage. Since they have yet to play the San Francisco 49ers and us at home in the next few weeks, I haven't given up. :D

But really, my money is on the Ravens this year. And I really love the Ravens. They are brutal. :eek:

Last edited:
The only reason these older speakers have supertweeters is the main tweeter isn't capable of reaching high enough on its own. The HF1300 for example, has a response which drops off the chart above 13kHz.

Most modern tweeters go high enough on their own. Adding a supertweeter puts a crossover where you least want one, and, where it can have a negative effect on phase and dispersion.

In an extended range speaker a supertweeter that reaches quite low can be a good complement with only a good quality step capacitor without any other component, being finally a simple two-way cabinet.
An example of this is the Fostex horn FE206 with a bullet tweeter, which spoils all the theory of lovers of the single speaker without frequency dividers, to maintain the "absolute purity" of the sound ... (according to them).

Finally, they end up accepting the harsh reality, there are no highs treble !
With love to the owners of SET 300 B, just one comment ....;)

Attachments

• 1a4fe84fb57f5ae5b1ebd4f24b795e37.jpg
    1a4fe84fb57f5ae5b1ebd4f24b795e37.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 216
  • descarga.jpg
    descarga.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
And if the T90a brings back memories of Motorola's first piezoelectric devices, you can add this gadget (L-Pad?) , Before they were called treble control and were a variable wire resistor, I guess this will be an evolution .....

Attachments

• Fostex-T90A-Super-High-Frequency-Tweeter-with-L-Pad-_1.jpg
    Fostex-T90A-Super-High-Frequency-Tweeter-with-L-Pad-_1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 203
I was referring to the fact that I would not call a simple condenser and an attenuator "network" in the case of the Fostex T90A, which is NOT a piezo.
The link is very interesting, thanks.
I bet that many of the piezoelectric tweeters (here they copied the Motorola to the tiredness with the Leea brand) used by amateur builders are poorly filtered as I read in your attached article.

I will do some research, a manufacturer here (Audinac) used it a lot in his cabinets.

Yo me referia a que no llamaría " red " a un simple condensador y un atenuador en el caso del Fostex T90A , que NO es un piezo.
El link es muy interesante, gracias.
Apuesto a que muchos de los tweeters piezoelectricos ( aqui copiaron el Motorola hasta el hartazgo con la marca Leea ) usados por constructores aficionados están mal filtrados según he leído en tu artículo adjunto.

Investigaré un poco, un fabricante de aquí ( Audinac) lo usaba mucho en sus gabinetes .

Auto correction !!! :D

Before my fellow countrymen correct me ...:rolleyes:

Here Audinac used the tweeter piezoeléctrico Lesson, and the DJ guys diyer´s the Leea that as you can see is identical to a Motorola. ( pic of the right )

Attachments

• bafles-audinac-D_NQ_NP_671591-MLA30048053859_042019-Q.jpg
    bafles-audinac-D_NQ_NP_671591-MLA30048053859_042019-Q.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 192
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 183
  • descarga.jpg
    descarga.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Supposedly they are ok used with a crossover

Well observed, in this link we can read:

" This post deserves to be read at least by each of the forum participants who do not decide to place piezo tweeters for not knowing how to mitigate or protect them or whatever.
For me it is very well indicated each of the factors to take into account for the use of piezos and I hope that those who do not use them and do not know them, try them, are very cheap and will see that the results are not so bad. "

Como ajustar la respuesta de un tweeter piezo-electrico | Foros de Electronica

So I have to admit that I was a little hard on my judgment about these tweeters, but it's too late to back down, I always argued that they were "crap", but on second thought, the treble of Audinac cabinets didn't sound so bad, and if the Leea, they would be badly crossed ......
This will not torment my dream, although perhaps other things will .....:D