Is it allowed to use First Watt name and logo on DIY builds?

I would not feel comfortable using e.g. “First Watt” as my build would not be a genuine First Watt amplifier. For example for preamplifiers and crossovers I would use the original NP PCB/kit from the store, however with my own PSU, so it will be my blend so to speak. But using “Pass DIY” I feel comfortable with.
I have an Ernö Borbely MC-RIAA built from his PCB from his shop. Here I think I will feel comfortable naming it a “Borbely Moving Coil Preamplifier” and also possibly with the “EB-604” (name of his PCB) label on the front. But Ernö only sold kits, so no competition with some manufactured amplifier. (I never labeled it at all.)
For the NP designs I would honor with e.g. “design by NP” or something.
For what it’s worth, my opinion.
Merry Christmas.

Personally I can't see any reason to put a name on a DIY product. If visitors want to know I just tell about it. Some kits where chassis are included are already branded from the DiyStore....e.g. Staving Student II and the ACA amp. When I buy a chassis from China there can be a brand on.....like Breeze Audio.....but this is just a name of the company making the chassis (smart by them). If I should call my own builds something I would call it something with my own name in it or something related to me or the name of a special technical detail I have been responsible for....e.g. the power supply if I think it is silent compared to a "standard".

After all the discussions and Mr. Pass saying that he likes PASS DIY, I think the decision is simple:

if you want to label your DIY builds based on Nelson Pass disigns, use PASS DIY label.

No First Watt name or logo whatsoever as this is against the law and General Amplifier, Inc. would be obligded to protect their trademark. If they don't, they risk to create a precedent and that would make their chances to fight against the malevolent countefeiters worse. So, we should not be creating problems to Nelson Pass and General Amplifier, Inc. - therefore, no First Watt.

For myself, the decision is to keep the front panel empty and clean. For the practical reasons to make identification of the different amps in the same looking chassis easier - use any kind of simple sticker on the back panel (like F5, M2X, Aleph J or what you need in any font and style). It you want to promote the DIY initiative, use PASS DIY.

Saying that, could somebody upload a clear and straight picture of PASS DIY sticker that was spread some years ago, so that anyone can make a nice copy?

-Alvydas

I suspect if papa had to respond to this, his answer (if his wine collection was threatened for example!) would legally have to be NO, NO and NO you can’t use Pass Labs or First Watt. Then maybe implying Pass DIY is just two words not necessarily associated and First DIY would also fall into the same.

I am sure he knows we would like to honor him and his kindness to us but sadly there exists people that would like to profit of him so he has to attempt to protect his name and brands. I feel like feeding us and protecting is probably a balancing act and any lawyer would tell him (and likely has already told him) to stop feeding the greedy boys!

Here you go. They later shipped a foil one that looks better.

Attachments

• Scan_20201224_105154.jpg
    Scan_20201224_105154.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 500
Last edited: