Is it allowed to use First Watt name and logo on DIY builds?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I just launched a quick Google search:

• custom foil stickers

Not surprisingly, Google found a TON of businesses that let you order full custom stickers (your fonts, your design, your artwork) right from their website. One of them is "sticker.com" , who appears to offer a huge* variety of different substrates, inks, final sizes, and overall shapes. They even have an "outdoor" option for stickers that will be exposed to rain, snow, and mud. Which is important because audio amplifiers are frequently operated 24x7 in rain and snow. Mine certainly are, and I bet yours are, too.

If you're thinking of buying some stickers, it seems you'll have lots of choices, and the purchase will be quick and easy.

*and when I say huge I actually mean "bewilderingly, staggeringly huge"

_

Last edited:
Joined 2019
Paid Member
Hey wait, I wasn't supposed to use mine for front panel adornment!? Now you tell me. :D :D :joker:

They are great for temporary ideas until one (cue the groans) sticks.

It's just temporary until I can get to a machine shop and have something done properly.

IMG_2397.jpg

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I believe the goal here is to pay homage to Nelson Pass with a design that is not confusingly similar to or competitive in any way with his products. As I understand it from posts from Nelson and other respected parties over the years, "competitive" includes both building for resale and reselling a clone device for more than the cost of building it. There are lots of ways to accomplish that goal. My approach has been to use a front panel design that is markedly different from the designs used by First Watt and to always provide attribution (these are, in fact, the guiding principles for all of my projects' casework designs).

A few examples are attached.

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• F5 Turbo Monoblock (front panel).JPG
    F5 Turbo Monoblock (front panel).JPG
    883 KB · Views: 418
  • F5T Rear Panel.jpg
    F5T Rear Panel.jpg
    595.3 KB · Views: 413
  • ACP+ (rear panel uncovered).jpg
    ACP+ (rear panel uncovered).jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
I just launched a quick Google search:

• custom foil stickers

Not surprisingly, Google found a TON of businesses that let you order full custom stickers (your fonts, your design, your artwork) right from their website. One of them is "sticker.com" , who appears to offer a huge* variety of different substrates, inks, final sizes, and overall shapes.

*and when I say huge I actually mean "bewilderingly, staggeringly huge"

_

Oh great. You've just condemned me to hours of perusing stickers!!! :eek:

:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I'd need an equivalent Zen Mod Labs DIY for that. :)

speaking of that ....... this is result of just one of many Papa's attempts to decrease a level of ZM's insolence ...... so, I'm sorta spoiled and really can't have proper, logical and unemotional stance about subject

:clown:

now seriously - contrary to what I wrote in my first reply to topic, I believe that Pass DIY sticker ( or same engraved ) is solution for front plate, followed with model designation

Kudos - check, unmistakable identity - check

Attachments

• ZM's Koan.jpg
    ZM's Koan.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 460
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Zen has shared artwork previously...or at least someone has in related threads.

Not that I’ll use it any time soon. I’m too busy trying to figure out how to replace my speakers that were knocked over during some recent foolery in the house.

Attachments

• F70D7257-ADF4-4CAA-8EBC-5B58C8FB0BA2.jpeg
    F70D7257-ADF4-4CAA-8EBC-5B58C8FB0BA2.jpeg
    29.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 74467BC8-FF04-4D6A-A72E-058F220AB4F2.jpeg
    74467BC8-FF04-4D6A-A72E-058F220AB4F2.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 386
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I submitted a Request For Quotation on Thursday night (Christmas Eve!) and got a formal price quote back on the morning of the first business day after the holiday. This was just a test and I clicked the box which requested the super tough & durable "Outdoor" foil material, which no doubt increases the price.

I'm uploading it here, just to encourage other diyAudio members to TRY IT YOURSELF and have some fun. Create your own artwork using MS Word + MS Snipping Tool (or others!). Discover a few sales websites using Google. Upload the artwork and ask for a quote. It's so easy! I won't rob you of the joy of discovery; the minuscule details of what I did and how I did it are unimportant and irrelevant. Be brave! Find your own path! Have some fun Doing It Yourself.

_

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 318
Why? If you're going to build the amp for your own personal use, put anything you want on it, mark it as you want.

If I build a TubeLab amp using a TubeLab board, does TubeLab care if I mark the amp as TubeLab or NOT put any markings?

Does Nelson Pass care if you build one of his amps and mark it however you want?

I definitely didn't/won't pay for a Bottlehead logo for any Bottlehead gear.

If you don't put it out on the internet, nobody cares. That's why I build DIY.