Is it allowed to use First Watt name and logo on DIY builds?

Why? If you're going to build the amp for your own personal use, put anything you want on it, mark it as you want.

Totally agree, if your not selling it or representing it as a Pass product but obviously this is a slippery slope. For me Nelson has spoken PassDIY it is...now stickers? On my pass diy gear in the 400+$ chassis? I think not, what we need is a group buy for PassDIY titanium emblems

Why? If you're going to build the amp for your own personal use, put anything you want on it, mark it as you want.

If I build a TubeLab amp using a TubeLab board, does TubeLab care if I mark the amp as TubeLab or NOT put any markings?

Does Nelson Pass care if you build one of his amps and mark it however you want?

I definitely didn't/won't pay for a Bottlehead logo for any Bottlehead gear.

If you don't put it out on the internet, nobody cares. That's why I build DIY.

Because you won't live forever and the amp will make it out in the wild one day.

IF Nelson Pass were to see the amp I built it would be a sign of respect.

I don't buy lottery tickets because the probability that Nelson Pass will see my amplifier are about the same as me winning the lottery.

My guess is that by buying the gifts offered shows my respect, so I'll mark the amplifier however I want.

speaking of that ....... this is result of just one of many Papa's attempts to decrease a level of ZM's insolence ...... so, I'm sorta spoiled and really can't have proper, logical and unemotional stance about subject

:clown:

now seriously - contrary to what I wrote in my first reply to topic, I believe that Pass DIY sticker ( or same engraved ) is solution for front plate, followed with model designation

Kudos - check, unmistakable identity - check

Nothing wrong with the identity here but...
:eek:
Æh...Nice cables and color coding - do you happen to have very high impedance speakers :rofl:

For some of us stickers really are a luxury problem, when finally getting the internal wiring finished to an acceptable level we are already exhausted and out of our comfort zone as "non completer/finishers". Quickly heading on to next project.
But I do like the idea of a personal Logo/Icon style which would then also be unmistakable from any TM's

Last edited:
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I wonder why "McIntosh" can keep its name......maybe because it is not something you can eat.....

Bingo! There are categories of trademarks. Amplifiers and food (or "food" for McD) are different categories, so it can easily be argued that consumers wouldn't mistake McIntosh amps for being McDonalds products.

I do remember the McAllan case. That was interesting. In the end I'm sure only the lawyers won.

Tom

Attachments

• EJg932aW4AUbDE9.jpg
    EJg932aW4AUbDE9.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 229
speaking of that ....... this is result of just one of many Papa's attempts to decrease a level of ZM's insolence ...... so, I'm sorta spoiled and really can't have proper, logical and unemotional stance about subject

:clown:

now seriously - contrary to what I wrote in my first reply to topic, I believe that Pass DIY sticker ( or same engraved ) is solution for front plate, followed with model designation

Kudos - check, unmistakable identity - check

What about “Second Watt” ? Or “Second Coming of The First”?
We should all ( me included ) build more amps and write less BS here.

:cheers: