Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Funny how its the Nerds who realize Diversity is superior... Or if you didnt realize that....you probably arent that smart. Regardless of how much math you can do off the top of your head.

Diversity wins, sincerely science. Diversity refers back to seeing both sides of 0

Don't forget.....Same race breeding is one step closer to incest. :D

quote me

The impulse response....

According to some, the most important tool in audio/acoustics, to find the output for any input of a linear and time-invariant system.

...After an hour tweaking he didn't look at me same way as before and though about investing in 'real instruments' ( main synth Serum for him - which i like a lot).

Serum is one of my favorite soft synths as well, together with Pigments.

As someone rightly pointed out:
"Serum is renowned for both it's high-quality oscillators and anti-aliasing algorithms, but also for it's digital 'harshness'. This is because Serum has such good audio quality, it's almost too pristine for some. There are no imperfections in the waveforms and they are produced exactly how they are supposed to."
The sound is quite easy to flavor - even within Serum (more analog/warmer in my case).

Attachments

• Serum_PS.png
    Serum_PS.png
    426.8 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 1 user
The orange rackmount is a classic.
Occasionaly I use Waldorf Edition, a rather nice VST alternative, though not the same.
As the years go by I consider myself happier and happier with the decision to stop collecting analog media and hardware about 17 years ago, excluding amplifiers, of course ;)

Last edited:
Me looking over at my Waldorf Blofeld collecting dust lol.... Some of the knobs wobble, they double as grappling points for a once 2 year old....The touch sensitivity is off on a few keys for the same reason.... If i can replace/fix the keys I think I would put it back into rotation lol....

Speaking of sound engineering....my new found skill....I can pretty much mix bass and transient character, and tone by eye now using a 1/3oc RTA vs the knowledge I learned here...I built mastering monitors only not to need them? Thanks guys =( ...... :ROFLMAO:

its not like I didn't have experience before.... over 10 years of learning software and common sound engineering tools and creating to be honest. My way of not letting my musical talent go to waste since I have neglected the actual drumset. I focused on this thread for the last 2-3 years, trying absorb the things you all taught me.... Opened up the Daw for the first time and it was like I could see the code of the matrix.... Also, pretty much everything you could want to criticize can be seen on the RTA....Leaving the Ears for the Art of it and the final say so.... You can see tone... You can see Dynamic range.... all on the RTA.... Basically saving hours worth of work.... in particular without all the proper acoustical advantages of a pro studio room....

Now, I forsee an advantage of producing on my krkv4's, in order to create the high pass filter needed to resemble the average listening system.... I was smart once and went to Amazon to psychoanalyze society....The 2way with a 4-5" woofer was the most popular Loudspeaker on Amazon.... Producing on the 4" monitors may not be as fun as using large monitors but it ensures that I am critiquing bass performance with the limitations of the Average person....I can tweak sub bass inside my headphones with the RTA as a compass.... I once said that I could create the same experience with a large monitor by smartly placing a High pass but the capability of large drivers still will offset the characteristic of an actual 4" woofer thanks to excursion character that cannot be replicated simply using just a HP....Headphones for midrange critical EQ. Loudspeakers for reverb and treble...Large monitor for sub and mid bass...still in combo with RTA for everything....

Sample Based HipHop isnt the most Dynamically Diverse music....mainly focusing on powerful groove and melody. I've had most of the tools I needed to recreate analog feel within digital....its just so weird how I've been focusing on this thread for so long....unwittingly taking my sound engineering mindset to another level, only to be realized when I finally opened up the DAW to create, after a very large hiatus!

Proof of Concept.
https://soundcloud.com/dr-nnoo%2Fonewine

Last edited:
I asked on Mabats thread but no one there knows about SLA.

It seems that SLA 3d printing has evolved to a point of lowering prices of the machines that can are still considered high resolution for 3d printing in general....
I decided to look into the topic once again, as I'd looked before but was turned off by the cons of the process.... The quality and ease of printing would allow me to entertain the phase plug that @mabat so generously shared with the community. I asked my best friend, who I also consider to be super bright (like those of you here that have tolerated and guided me lol) a person who grandfathered into a Mechanical Engineering title without a degree, if he thought that resin printing is accurate enough that I could successfully print a waveguide/horn in segments, accurately enough to fit together in an acceptable way.....and he said Yes.... Being one that designs airplane parts and understands way more than I do about woes of the manufacturing trade....With the typical Engineers personality trait of not taking anything at face value...a Yes from him, should hold some weight lol

So now I search for the Right Resin Printer....The new technology has sped up printing speed considerably.... I will definitely try to manufacture @docali Horns as well...

The wood horn that LMH is almost holding hostage at this point....has been an expensive endeavor but non the less, at least, a skillfully assembled, bad horn lol.... Something to serve as a functional reference point.... They tried to ship them in pieces at one point to try and keep the price point that they projected as shipped....which I turned down and told them to fully assemble. The cost of shipping....I'll eat that too.... Keep in mind that I was originally told that this would be done and shipped to me 2 months from November.... So at that time I was looking for speed and convenience...in hind sight I could of kept my money and built the horns myself in several different manufacturing approaches lol...call me lazy.

First excuse was that the horns ended up taking much more time than they envisioned....then it was due to lack of help in the shop....then it was Covid19......then it was trying to figure out who was going to ship.....then it was gluing the horns to completion...and now its Covid19....again....along with needing to build a shipping crate....Did I mention that they tried to guilt me into giving them more money several weeks after agreement/payment? :nownow: because I had talked him into a price that did not match the labor required...lol I told him he could just refund me... they didn't want to lol!

I am a hard sell on "inconveniences" I haven't called in sick in almost 10 years.... I've had covid19....I've been to work...several times, severely sick, on my own initiative, performing work more physically demanding than gluing and sanding...or whatever task they might have encountered building a horn... Frankly I don't believe them BUT in Germany they probably are used to like, taking care of their bodies and stuff, where as in America, sacrifice of self for career is glorified....and likely apart of our problems here lol!
1647652940751.png
1647652974116.png

I wonder if he was trying to hide in these pics...the complete lack of any type of roll off lol. I usually get critique from Docali, who probably cringes at the sight of these horns....which I eventually try out on the horn builders...who then try to downplay my understanding....from which at that point I am no longer interested in debating since theres no reason to...

Last edited:
I asked my best friend, who I also consider to be super bright (like those of you here that have tolerated and guided me lol) a person who grandfathered into a Mechanical Engineering title without a degree, if he thought that resin printing is accurate enough that I could successfully print a waveguide/horn in segments, accurately enough to fit together in an acceptable way.....and he said Yes....
Of course it can be done, but it is a lot of work.

A large R2D2 made with a Resin printer
https://formlabs.com/asia/blog/how-to-create-models-larger-than-your-3d-printers-build-volume/
I usually get critique from Docali, who probably cringes at the sight of these horns....which I eventually try out on the horn builders...who then try to downplay my understanding....from which at that point I am no longer interested in debating since theres no reason to...
They look they could be turned into urinals if their sound is disappointing :)

They look they could be turned into urinals if their sound is disappointing :)
Because you underestimate yourself and some of those on this board, as I see, some of the brightest, you forgot that there is likely someone out there in Hifi land willing to take these off of my hands lol! Even if I take a hit on the initial investment, I can call it a rental fee :giggle:

Luckily larger wave lengths are much more forgiving....The only issue I think I could possible have is the width of the HF beaming but I calculated that all in HornResp before I rolled the dice.

you forgot that there is likely someone out there in Hifi land willing to take these off of my hands lol!
No I just found the manufacturers positioning in the photo quite Freudian :)

I agree it would be a lot of work...but not like...hard work...just time consuming>?
Not like digging a hole in the sun, no. The smaller the printer the more joins there will be will which need filling and sanding in some way to get an acceptable finish. Resin can be quite expensive in comparison to filament and there is the need to cure and wash. For the plug it makes sense for the rest I don't see it.

No I just found the manufacturers positioning in the photo quite Freudian :)
I could see that... They (He) tried telling me that his colleague sold another horn the same size....at full price, and that he was under scrutiny for selling me the pair for so cheap...I'm pretty sure that was a load of crap but potentially he could of been telling the truth. If I was more skilled and not in a hurry, I could of modelled the horn myself and had the European Horn builders, make these for slightly cheaper...I think...I mean they offer a round tractrix of the same tuning for a modest price...where as these guys are trying to get more for there elliptical vs round horns based off it being "better" than the round horns.... The Euro Horn builders (sorry I forget their name) would built the ellipticals if I had a proper model....at the time I realized that non of the Horn profiles were actually a finished item, ready to be manufactured...If I was more adept with Fusion 360 I probably could have cranked out a model rather easily...though I have no real world experience to decide how thick certain areas of the Horn should be etc etc.... I could have possibly scaled if from the 350hz wood horns that I do have.....
Not like digging a hole in the sun, no. The smaller the printer the more joins there will be will which need filling and sanding in some way to get an acceptable finish. Resin can be quite expensive in comparison to filament and there is the need to cure and wash. For the plug it makes sense for the rest I don't see it.
My thoughts as well....but the best of a bad idea might not be....that bad. My thoughts at this time surround, segments printed as thin as practical. The main focus would be to get the inner surface create and I figured I could add bulk to the outer surface by mortar or some other creative method.

I wonder if he was trying to hide in these pics...the complete lack of any type of roll off lol. I usually get critique from Docali, who probably cringes at the sight of these horns....which I eventually try out on the horn builders...who then try to downplay my understanding....from which at that point I am no longer interested in debating since theres no reason to...

Looking into the abyss, there does indeed seem to be some kind of mouth termination.

140Hz.jpg

To be honest, I think such a deep horn will elicit the best top end response from the Axi2050, at the price of significant beaming of course.

Last edited:
Looking into the abyss, there does indeed seem to be some kind of mouth termination.

View attachment 1036640

To be honest, I think such a deep horn will elicit the best top end response from the Axi2050, at the price of significant beaming of course.
do you also have such a detailed picture of the termination in the vertical direction?

do you also have such a detailed picture of the termination in the vertical direction?

Vertical termination is clearly worse.

Some pics, also from K+T reviews, including a spherical horn:

119224037_3848463671849897_3575269830538337652_n.jpg

Attachments

• eTrak 300_1.jpg
    eTrak 300_1.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 112
  • eTrak 300_2.jpg
    eTrak 300_2.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 114
  • LMH eTrak 350Hz & BMS 4592_BD.png
    LMH eTrak 350Hz & BMS 4592_BD.png