Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

The manufacturer also sells complete systems, like this 12" + 1.4" + the spherical horn.

B43A1728-75192e80.jpeg

@camplo: I am near LMH at Stuttgart airport in a few minutes. Whenever you need help on shipping horns and/or need any TAD components - let me know. We ship worldwide since 35 years.
I can send your contact info to the people at LMH.... his last claim was that he needed to build a box for the horns to go in.... this would be done after he glued the halves together.... when I question delays (it took two weeks to glue the halves together) I get "covid19" as a reason why....I had delays with another company taking too long to respond... they had covid too... hard to be mad if they are telling the truth.... also very convenient

I know them. Dont worry. just get a Euro pallet and screw some wood boards to them and done. Its 20US$ each. Euro pallet size is 1,20m x 0,80m. I know US has bad cheap oneway pallets made out of exotic wood. One Euro can do 2000lbs.

Most people here have their booster vaccination and especially these people have caught Covid19. I can guarantee you: ALL people that come in contact with children in Kindergarden or school WILL catch Covid19. I had it, my family had, everyone has, followed by quaranteen. We used quaranteen to do work which needed to be done. ;-)

Reactions: 1 user
I know them. Dont worry. just get a Euro pallet and screw some wood boards to them and done. Its 20US$ each. Euro pallet size is 1,20m x 0,80m. I know US has bad cheap oneway pallets made out of exotic wood. One Euro can do 2000lbs.

Most people here have their booster vaccination and especially these people have caught Covid19. I can guarantee you: ALL people that come in contact with children in Kindergarden or school WILL catch Covid19. I had it, my family had, everyone has, followed by quaranteen. We used quaranteen to do work which needed to be done. ;-)
Do you happen to know how much shipping for the 2 horns would cost?

I emailed that I had friend there that could help with shipping, of course no answer yet, but we will see.

when I question delays (it took two weeks to glue the halves together) I get "covid19" as a reason why....I had delays with another company taking too long to respond... they had covid too... hard to be mad if they are telling the truth.... also very convenient
In this type of business, likely a one or two-person operation, having two weeks off sick can cause utter chaos - for weeks or months while you play catch up after the actual illness. Likewise, if you have to stay home to look after the kids, or your suppliers can't send you materials in typical time frames... nothing happens in a vacuum. Much of Europe is also only just coming out of mandatory isolation periods for positive close contact with an infected person, even if testing negative.

Do you happen to know how much shipping for the 2 horns would cost?

I emailed that I had friend there that could help with shipping, of course no answer yet, but we will see.
For a single full-height Euro pallet with decent packing crate sides, three hundred dollars should cover a slow (multiple weeks) sea transit with all import duties and paperwork. Sea freight is usually only concerned about volume, and whether it can be stacked upon in the container. You will pay for space that cannot be used - such as if your horns are not in a solid crate, or spill off the side of the pallet by even a few centimetres.

Our hauliers call this the 'door-to-door' service, and it is very much recommended if you'd like to receive your goods instead of having to drive to a shipping yard to fill out forms and pay taxes. That said, everything costs more now and Germany is not the UK, so I might be off.

If you want to have them fast, then budget significantly more than a thousand dollars to send them next day by air. Air freight is by weight and volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As to your questions about field position, I can't be clear on how you are using the terms "direct field" and "Near field". They are completely different things. If you are talking about the direct field (where the direct sound is equal to the reverberant sound level) then yes, I agree with what you are saying, it's basically what I have been saying for a long time.

First, the speaker Q (I am not sure that your Q is the same as mine, mine means the directivity Q) is dominate in the location of the direct field transition, the higher the Q the farther is the direct field. This does diminish the perception of the room (I am talking above Schroeder fS here.) This is why I say that high Q speakers are preferred IMO.

Below fS, your "Fr" does in fact dominate everything, which is why I say that nothing beyond power and excursion matters. It's source placement and EQ that matter and specifics of the subs (Fs, Q, Cms, alignment etc.) are irrelevant (except for the above two factors.)

These have been design principles of mine for many decades.

PS. For woofers used in 2-ways, how a 15" handles HFs is a major concern of course.
I pulled this quote to set the premise, at least somewhat....I looking to fact check these definitions, find more or more elaborate definitions as not to further complicate things in this threads here

Based of these definitions, I stated that all output from a horn/waveguide/woofer on baffle, is a mix of direct and indirect sound energy, with the exception of sound energy that becomes so direction from the radiator that it misses the walls of the horn/waveguide/baffle and as well, the case for a baffle-less driver. The walls of the horn/waveguide are a baffle and source of reflection, likening to that baffle of any other enclosure... so any part of that output that includes these reflections are now classified as indirect sound.

1.1.2. Sound Field Definitions (see ISO 12001)
1.1.2.1. Free field The free field is a region in space where sound may propagate free from any form of obstruction.

1.1.2.2. Near field The near field of a source is the region close to a source where the sound pressure and acoustic particle velocity are not in phase. In this region the sound field does not decrease by 6 dB each time the distance from the source is increased (as it does in the far field). The near field is limited to a distance from the source equal to about a wavelength of sound or equal to three times the largest dimension of the sound source (whichever is the larger).

1.1.2.3. Far field The far field of a source begins where the near field ends and extends to infinity. Note that the transition from near to far field is gradual in the transition region. In the far field, the direct field radiated by most machinery sources will decay at the rate of 6 dB each time the distance from the source is doubled. For line sources such as traffic noise, the decay rate varies between 3 and 4 dB.

1.1.2.4. Direct field The direct field of a sound source is defined as that part of the sound field which has not suffered any reflection from any room surfaces or obstacles. 1.1.2.5. Reverberant field The reverberant field of a source is defined as that part of the sound field radiated by a source which has experienced at least one reflection from a boundary of the room or enclosure containing the source.

Based of these definitions, I stated that all output from a horn/waveguide/woofer on baffle, is a mix of direct and indirect sound energy, with the exception of sound energy that becomes so direction from the radiator that it misses the walls of the horn/waveguide/baffle and as well, the case for a baffle-less driver. The walls of the horn/waveguide are a baffle and source of reflection, likening to that baffle of any other enclosure... so any part of that output that includes these reflections are now classified as indirect sound.
This has correct and incorrect points. Yes, all receivers in a room are a mixture of direct and indirect energy. But they are not synched in time and that makes all the difference. The ear knows the difference, that's how we localize.

In a proper waveguide, the sound always progresses along the surface, never normal to it (except for HOMs), so there is no "reflection" and what comes out of the mouth is clearly "direct". Diffraction horns will suffer from this but not a good waveguide.

In a proper waveguide, the sound always progresses along the surface, never normal to it (except for HOMs), so there is no "reflection" and what comes out of the mouth is clearly "direct". Diffraction horns will suffer from this but not a good waveguide.
Ok ok ok....So can the same be said about non diffraction horn....and The baffle of the woofer, before it reaches the edge?