Is it possible to cover the whole spectrum, high SPL, low distortion with a 2-way?

Referring back to the Jubilee example...

The front horn loses some sensitivity, there is no coupling to move the radiation mass forward or should I say; to increase reach of the piston velocity via coupling...

whats missing is the radiation mass at equal spl, BR vs BR firing into an short expanding line... mouth n baffle equal.

After we make up for the sensitivity loss with voltage, the mouth of therac horn still serves to increase Intensity, since it is not until pressure reaches the mouth, can it expand freely... the initial losses are made up with voltage and the end result is a radiation mass more like that of a front horn with the same mouth csa, tuned low.

Some how the potency of this affect must be affected by Axial length... Starting at 0 effect to 100 effect once you reach 1/4wl?

Some how the potency of this affect must be affected by Axial length... Starting at 0 effect to 100 effect once you reach 1/4wl?
Ya'll are moving too fast with too much techno babble to keep up, but from scanning down I keep thinking this all boils down to the so-called horn 'throw' in that to get same-same perceived performance from both a point source and horn is how much further behind the point source the horn must be (depending on its flare frequency, factor) to match, in which case its axial length is a key factor. Or viewed another way, time delay should be set at the listening position rather than based solely on XO offset.

Reactions: 2 users
Driver + horn are a single electro-acoustic system, but you seem to refer to acoustic origin.

View attachment 1077731
This was a topic of interest all the way back in SynAudCon’s magazine from 1992.

I think that the answer to the highlighted question is pertinent here, because as usual there’s a lot of stuff being mixed up by @camplo that could be resolved with one good textbook.

58597BE2-3611-4AD3-BF79-B24DD680C7BB.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Good god - 4! I built two for a friends HT. They are near field behind the sofa and are scary, I waived all responsibility for the integrity of his ceiling.... :geek:
The most expensive Lab Horn in the world will set you back a mere 250.000 a pair (against the wall):
1659622433405.png

Prototype:
l voice 1.jpg

Tom certainly likes big subhorns:
1659620575200.png

One of my favorite clubs - that recently closed its doors, featured 2x J1, 16x TH118 on the main stage and while I became a fan of the J1's, those TH118s are no match for the single stack of 4x2x21" FLHs (on the previous page) wrt quality of the (sub)bass.
Of course, it's difficult to compare clubs due to room acoustics, FOH engineering etc, but my opinion is based on many visits to venues/events all over Europe.
I think reducing excursion is always a good thing.

Reactions: 1 users
Ya'll are moving too fast with too much techno babble to keep up, but from scanning down I keep thinking this all boils down to the so-called horn 'throw' in that to get same-same perceived performance from both a point source and horn is how much further behind the point source the horn must be (depending on its flare frequency, factor) to match, in which case its axial length is a key factor. Or viewed another way, time delay should be set at the listening position rather than based solely on XO offset.

Indeed, and while we could dive deep into the physics behind all this - which quickly gets very complicated (for this reason I withheld several papers),
I think it's best to draw attention to the hardware that Camplo already has or could get/build.

Theory and R&D at this level certainly require a PhD and are in no way practically feasible without the right resources.

This was a topic of interest all the way back in SynAudCon’s magazine from 1992.

I think that the answer to the highlighted question is pertinent here, because as usual there’s a lot of stuff being mixed up by @camplo that could be resolved with one good textbook.

View attachment 1077963

And for this reason, I once again post the link to Don's bible, aka the only book an audio engineer needs on their shelf.
Saves you US$ 160,00.

A few papers, for those interested.

Attachments

• Optimization of Loudspeakers using Material and Shape Optimization_Thesis, Daniel Gert Nielsen.pdf
    5.5 MB · Views: 144
  • Measurement of volume velocity of a small sound source_Lindberg2015.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • Some general properties of the exact acoustic fields in horns and baffles_Campos1984.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:
  • Thank You
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Ro808

Thanks for the illustrations in post 10672 on acoustic origin vs acoustic center. Where does that illustration come from, "the only book an audio engineer needs on their shelf."? Had a quick look in the index, found no acoustic origin or center....

Nice day to all from Denmark

Steffen

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thank You Ro808

I actually got a used copy of the "sound engineering bible" last year. Haven´t got around to read it yet. Looked up the illustrations right away.:)

I am right now reading Ethan Winer´s "The audio Expert" as I got that at the same time, and thought it would be a good place to start!?

Nice with some solid knowledge!

Steffen

I am right now reading Ethan Winer´s "The audio Expert" as I got that at the same time, and thought it would be a good place to start!?

It is.
The approach is practical with chapters on, among other things, room treatment, measurements and recording/mastering.
Don's bible is more comprehensive and scientifically oriented.

Last edited:
Ro808,

Can you tell us move of the bass horns in post 10,669, a page before this one ?

I miss the w-bin i had, i was miss using my keele thing, trying to use it as a 30hz subwoofer, but we all have moved on from systems.

To this day, i still want to try an old design rules 2x8" 100hz front horn (8pe21 for highest mass corner), sized in 3pi (half way between mid air and floor loaded, because eventhough we say a horn on the floor is 2pi, it isn't because the mouth isn't opening onto the middle of the floor), with djk recomended 75hz taper rate (length = 1/4 wavelength of 1/2 octave lower than the mouth, or 75hz long for a 100hz mouth, or 3.75' long).

Bass horns feel different.
Something about moving more air.
Maybe just diferent 4-6 ft2 horn mouth moving air in a 1,000 ft3 room vs a single 15" / 1.2 ft2 pumping air.

Just a personal theory.
Like my 2x18's moved the air better than 4x12's.

Djk was a big one for bass horns, before ppsl (push pull slot loaded), especially portability.........

Reactions: 1 user