JBL M2 for The Poors

I know what I'm hearing is my HD600 and not the JBL
HD600 is one of the flattest headphones you can buy.....
If the microphone captures the full audible range
I think it does....or potentially can.

I will know the intensity of the bass or if the treble is too colored, that's all I can judge, the timbre depends on being present at the performance event.
No you won't....the experience of direct vs indirect energy won't be captured or interpreted so easily through a recording..... You will be able to make comparisons of which speaker sounds best on a recording thats for sure.... I think that the FR and maybe width of the polar might be experienced from what I've seen in the videos but direct energy vs indirect....is a big deal to me.....it is the difference between hearing and feeling the bass....and you can't discern that from a recording.

Reactions: 1 user
🟡 Hello Friend! How do I run this project? I searched the fórum audioheritage but it's all very confusing, there's no cut project, speaker suppliers, step-by-step assembly scheme, etc.
This is the closest thing to a build thread.
Perhaps this guy is willing to share his drawings.

Attachments

• IMG_5730.JPG
    IMG_5730.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_5476.JPG
    IMG_5476.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 334
  • JBL Internal.jpg
    JBL Internal.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 283
  • JBL External.jpg
    JBL External.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 321
That FR is based around a curve that is meant to be nuetral to the ear for the case of headphones and in ear monitors ... Im not sure why exactly they do this but it is on purpose, that I do know

How this translates to concept of O transfer function and loudspeakers, I don't know

Lol you and me both...I was just researching headphones and was reminded which is why at least some of this if fresh in my mind....I wanted some quality IEM's and settle on the MoonBlessings2
1650594759114.png

The top red and blue are "normalized" but the black solid line below represents the Target Curve for "neutral" for headphones and IEM apparently....It really doesn't make sense to me at first glance but once upon a time I did read why exactly this is the neutral transfer function for said products, at this time the background information evades me lol

It really doesn't make sense to me at first glance but once upon a time I did read why exactly this is the neutral transfer function for said products, at this time the background information evades me lol
IEM's have a different target to over the ear headphones. As with speakers before much work has been done by Sean Olive
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/2022/03/the-perception-and-measurement-of.html

https://acousticstoday.org/wp-conte...ty-What-Do-Listeners-Prefer-Sean-E.-Olive.pdf

That would make the HD600 curve what then? I once thought that the IEM had a specific target curve to reach a 0 transfer function that looked similar to the these curves that have the peak at ~3khz but now I am not so sure... Now that I see that Etymotic has its own idea of the correct curve.

"To keep things short and sweet: what was originally known as the “Crinacle Target” will now be replaced with the “IEF Neutral Target”, which adds on a little extra ear gain at 2-6kHz (creating a peak centred at 3kHz that is roughly +8dB relative to 800Hz) so as to keep it more in line with what I find to be “perceptibly neutral”.
&
"3. Flat on the graph DOES NOT MEAN flat in real life. The fact that IEMs bypass the outer ear structure necessitates higher SPL in the 2-5k regions as compensation (see: Diffuse Field, Head Related Transfer Function, Harman Target)"

and finally
"3. Flat on the graph DOES NOT MEAN flat in real life. The fact that headphones bypass the head necessitates higher SPL in the 2-5k regions as compensation (see: Diffuse Field, Head Related Transfer Function, Harman Target)."

OK so headphones and IEM both should not aim for Neutral FR due to the same ideas. IEM and Headphones won't have the same curve but neither should be aiming for dead flat like a loudspeaker would if aiming for neutral playback

I'm now noticing that the target curves for the IEM and Headphone above are slightly different.

Last edited: