Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

hello folks.

is there a user guide for moode?
I ask because I cannot fathom how to use the library view to play whole albums or when viewing an album's tracks, get it to continue playing the rest after clicking one in the list.
or playing a whole genre, or the entire work of a particular artist....

will moode ever have the feature of navigating a large library by artist index in order to zero in quickly? there is an album search box, but no way of searching for an artist?

I have USB attached storage for not just music - is there a way to restrict moode to certain directories?

how about bookmarking favourites?

Hi,

Click on the cover art that appears in Library panel and a menu will appear. This allows Genre, Artist, Album or entire collection to be played.

If the artist tag is populated, then in the Album column the artist name should appear. When y search simply type in the artist name.

-Tim

I use BubbleUPnP on my Android tablet. Very easy and straightforward, just enable UPnP in Moode and select it as the renderer in Bubble. You can then stream Tidal, Qobuz, Amazon or Google Play to your Moode player.

John
Apple users don't have that luxury, plus with Bubble the phone or tablet become a proxy do you need it on all the time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When using a NAS drive with moode, does it get mounted?

Nothing listed under linux command df?

I'm hopping I can use this "mounted" drive with another application.

not at home for a day or so, so can't test..
I assume there is a folder called /mnt/NAS which will have my music?

secondly want to share playlists between moode and this other app, is the location ./var/lib/mpd/playlists/ ? and how could I change this location?

I appreciate your patience with my naive questions.

David

Hi,

Click on the cover art that appears in Library panel and a menu will appear. This allows Genre, Artist, Album or entire collection to be played.

-Tim

I had the impression moode didn't do cover art!
my screen has genre above artists at the left, albums in the middle, tracks do the upper right, with a blank box below and below that some album info including number of tracks and running time.
and I chose an album that I know has album artwork inside the folder.
nothing showing!

mine is an entirely uncustomised install.

I had the impression moode didn't do cover art!
my screen has genre above artists at the left, albums in the middle, tracks do the upper right, with a blank box below and below that some album info including number of tracks and running time.
and I chose an album that I know has album artwork inside the folder.
nothing showing!

mine is an entirely uncustomised install.

Hi,

Moode has long supported embedded cover art in flac,alac,mp3 formats and cover image file in the folder containing the song file. It's always worked perfectly for me and other Moode users.

If cover art not displaying for your files, check permissions.

Even if only the default cover art shows in Library panel lower right, click it.

-Tim

Volume resetting with airplay in 2.7

I am still getting the strange volume behaviour with airplay on Moode 2.7

It won't play any sound through airplay unless I tweak (however little) the volume control in the moode web interface. I was streaming some songs from archive.org this evening, and I got this behaviour with every song break (presumably each track opens a new stream to the macbook).

So what seems to be happening is the volume resets to 0 at the end of every airplay session, and has to be "reminded" what it needs to be.

Two questions: Is there a log setting that would help to debug this?
and How do I fix it?

but there isn't any default cover art either! there is a blank space above the lower right box containing textual album info, nothing more.
strangely enough though, when I use mpdroid remotely it DOES get the default moode art -
I went looking for it in /etc/mpd.conf to no avail and wondered where mpd was getting it.

Hi,

Post a screen shot of the Library panel.

-Tim

Hi, I'm interested in this item but I couldn't find any +5db model on this page, only +2db ...

Maybe you could point me to the exact model you're talking about?

Thanks a lot,

Etienne

Etienne, the ebay link was to share RT5370 chip adapters, not specifically +5db ones. The model I have had the most luck with is the WU735P.

https://www.amazon.com/CF-WU735P-Encryption-Supported-Smart-Antenna-Compatible/dp/B00HWL43VC

Search for Comfast RT5370 +5dbi, it should bring up a bunch. I've no idea what country you are in - I buy mine direct from Comfast in China.

Last edited:
Brilliant thanks for the info, i will try and get that sorted tonight. I am using a mini NEXX WT3020H with a 128g sd card in there.

Again, I would use the specifically-designed router to master your comms and leave the Moode player as a wifi client, but YMMV :)

Cool device - runs OpenWRT/DD-WRT at 300bps! With hardware NAT and all sorts of other cool stuff. And at only $15 including shipping, I must get one (or ten!). Looking at their website, they have a bunch of cool little devices.

I've been stocking up on SanDisk USB 3.0 flash drives - 32/64/128GB ones are about $11/$20/$40 direct from the SanDisk outlet on Aliexpress. I can confirm they are genuine SanDisk and run ridiculously fast writing on my MacBook.

That NAS feature would solve a bunch of issues with building a 'festival' speaker using Moode, without having to rely on the puny Wifi/BT chipset in the Pi3.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi,

I did but then I thought to try some other browsers ...
my report was for android app Little Browser - no artwork

o firefox - hangs
o chrome - desperately slow but it shows the album art as a square to the left of the album text info.
o dolphin - desperately slow but shows a very narrow rectangle to the left, too narrow to be apparent it is the artwork compressed in there.

mystery solved - I'll live with the speedy LB without the artwork for now.
thanks Tim

... but I wonder why not make the text info clickable too?

further detail: the square box where the album art should be is there in all browsers, but with dolphin the image is compressed to the left side, about a tenth of what it should be, and only that tenth is clickable.

about your sentence:
"If the artist tag is populated, then in the Album column the artist name should appear. When y search simply type in the artist name."

what about getting to the artist in the first place without scrolling 50 times?!

'when y search...' ? y = you? the same box that always says "search albums" at the top of the library page?

I notice that once an artist is selected and the albums associated with the artist are listed, that the search box acts only on that list. how is the search broadened back out again? (assuming this box is not just for albums after all!)

thanks....

Hi,

I did but then I thought to try some other browsers ...
my report was for android app Little Browser - no artwork

o firefox - hangs
o chrome - desperately slow but it shows the album art as a square to the left of the album text info.
o dolphin - desperately slow but shows a very narrow rectangle to the left, too narrow to be apparent it is the artwork compressed in there.

mystery solved - I'll live with the speedy LB without the artwork for now.
thanks Tim

With no technical details presented, it's difficult to guess what's happening. I just downloaded and installed both Firefox and Dolphin to a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone running Android 6.0.1 (which has already been updated to have latest Chrome). I exercised all three browsers to connect via my 2.4 GHz WiFi LAN to my RPi2B running Moode 2.7 and a Canakit USB WiFi adapter.

Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin are performing equivalently. Nothing hangs, nothing is desperately slow, nothing displays images in the wrong aspect ratio. FWIW, in the case of the test directory I accessed, each track contains an embedded image and there is a "Folder.jpg" file in the directory as well. (Belt and suspenders!) Since these images were all the same I can't say for sure which one Moode chose.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

With no technical details presented, it's difficult to guess what's happening. I just downloaded and installed both Firefox and Dolphin to a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone running Android 6.0.1 (which has already been updated to have latest Chrome). I exercised all three browsers to connect via my 2.4 GHz WiFi LAN to my RPi2B running Moode 2.7 and a Canakit USB WiFi adapter.

Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin are performing equivalently. Nothing hangs, nothing is desperately slow, nothing displays images in the wrong aspect ratio. FWIW, in the case of the test directory I accessed, each track contains an embedded image and there is a "Folder.jpg" file in the directory as well. (Belt and suspenders!) Since these images were all the same I can't say for sure which one Moode chose.

Just my two cents worth.

Regards,
Kent

Sorry, I meant to add that I was testing against a music directory on Moode's SD card. How is your music library mounted? Locally, e.g., USB drive or SDcard, or remotely, e.g., NAS? Have you tried accessing the library by means other than Moode to test protocols and permissions, for example using a file browser on another host?

Regards,
Kent

Moode muting

I am at last back on the Moode train, having finally replaced my broken amp (with a Class D Audio CDA250L kit - first impressions = FANTASTIC!).

However, an old niggle has remains with Moode that was there befoe. Occasionally the musics mutes, for 5-15 seconds, then it comes back. The Moode playback screen shows the music timer happily ticking away throughout this time.

My first thought is to blame the network. During the pauses I can download webpages on my laptop but cannot access moode (e.g. if I do a Ctrl + f5 refresh). I generally play flac files made from my CDs - bit rate is typically 1.411mbps, so well within the nominal capacity of the network. I am not aware of any particularly heavy load that might be interrupting the stream. Moreover, as mentioned before, the timer in Moode carries on. So, my question is would the timer stop if there was an interruption to the stream or does it carry on regardless? Or can moode otherwise log / notify if there if the stream is interupted?

I would be grateful for any pointers - it is very frsutrating when I am in full air guiter and the music stops unexpectedly.

my setup:- NAS (ZyXEL NSA325) -> Gigabit switch (Netgear) -> homeplug 500 (Zyxel) -> Gigabit switch (Netgear) -> Pi 2 ->i2s-> DAC (Audiphonics I-Sabre i2s V2 ES9023 TCXO) ->RCA-> Amp (Class D Audio CDA250L) > Speakers (Quad 11L2).

Controlling moode by: Laptop ->wifi-> home router -> Gigabit switch -> homplug 500 -> Pi 2