Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I'm tryding to use my mixed FLAC/HiRes PCM and DSD collection with moode player.

My main dac does well with native dsd, but I'm having issues with resampling for another non-dsd capable DAC while playing the other files as bit-perfect (i.e. no resampling).

We're talking about:
- Flac (16/44.1) ripped from the CD I own.
- DSD64 and DSD128 ripped from my vynils
- Flac (24/96) purchased.

If I enable SOX resampling it will resample all dsd but also the 16/44.1 to 24/96 even when selecting the "adhere to base freq" setting. I'd expect those to stay 24/88.2

If I disable SOX resampling, then DSD are played "natively" either via native-dsd or DoP which is not compatible with this DAC. I'd expect MPD to resample only the DSD files but it's trying to play them as DSD.

The MPD manual page suggests that it will "automagically" detect if the DAC is DSD-capable and then fall-back to DSD->PCM conversion if the dac is not. This is not happening in my case.

The DAC is a "Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S" and is 24/96 only capable. It's identified as ID be57:020e

Is there any hope to convert only the DSD files on the fly ?

I'm tryding to use my mixed FLAC/HiRes PCM and DSD collection with moode player.

My main dac does well with native dsd, but I'm having issues with resampling for another non-dsd capable DAC while playing the other files as bit-perfect (i.e. no resampling).

We're talking about:
- Flac (16/44.1) ripped from the CD I own.
- DSD64 and DSD128 ripped from my vynils
- Flac (24/96) purchased.

If I enable SOX resampling it will resample all dsd but also the 16/44.1 to 24/96 even when selecting the "adhere to base freq" setting. I'd expect those to stay 24/88.2

If I disable SOX resampling, then DSD are played "natively" either via native-dsd or DoP which is not compatible with this DAC. I'd expect MPD to resample only the DSD files but it's trying to play them as DSD.

The MPD manual page suggests that it will "automagically" detect if the DAC is DSD-capable and then fall-back to DSD->PCM conversion if the dac is not. This is not happening in my case.

The DAC is a "Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S" and is 24/96 only capable. It's identified as ID be57:020e

Is there any hope to convert only the DSD files on the fly ?

Yes but for that you do not enable SoX at all. Simply leave the Native DSD setting in the MPD config (not DoP), and if the DAC does not indicate DSD compatibility in it's USB handshake, Moode will output the DSD files transcoded to PCM on-the-fly.

Yes but for that you do not enable SoX at all. Simply leave the Native DSD setting in the MPD config (not DoP), and if the DAC does not indicate DSD compatibility in it's USB handshake, Moode will output the DSD files transcoded to PCM on-the-fly.

I had sox resampling disabled to start with. It does not work. If I leave sox disabled and use native-dsd I get absolutely no audio. If I use DoP, I get a high pitched sound. I should mention I'm using the hardware mixer for volume.

I'm not positive this is a problem with my specific DAC. I tried using the raspberry pi3b+ on-board audio out. Mpd will not play dsd on it too. It should detect it as non-dsd capable and switch to auto-resample to pcm there too.

I had sox resampling disabled to start with. It does not work. If I leave sox disabled and use native-dsd I get absolutely no audio. If I use DoP, I get a high pitched sound. I should mention I'm using the hardware mixer for volume.

I'm not positive this is a problem with my specific DAC. I tried using the raspberry pi3b+ on-board audio out. Mpd will not play dsd on it too. It should detect it as non-dsd capable and switch to auto-resample to pcm there too.

I have no problem with this using various different DACs that are PCM only. One difference in my setups is that I have the Moode volume control fully disabled, I always control volume in the analog domain.

Are you being sure to hit SET after each change you make, then wait for the banner indicating the change was accepted? You can't just flip the switch, you must then use the SET button for that change to take effect.

If the DAC is not DSD capable, there is no reason why you'd be trying DoP at all, that will not ever work with a PCM only DAC. I would also suspect there is no hardware volume control support with that DAC's chipset, try the software volume control if you don't have any analog volume controls to use in your setup.

Last edited:
I do set the parameters after changing ;)
I also check the mpd.conf file that is generated. Could you post your mpd.conf file for I can check if there's a difference ?
The problem is not the DAC. The pi audio out does not work as well.
I'm getting an error in the mpd log file, when playing DSD.
Code:
exception: Failed to open "ALSA Default" (alsa); Error opening ALSA device "_audioout"; snd_pcm_hw_params() failed: Invalid argument
Time for moode forum I guess.

Ok, I might be up to something here. DSD will work (sort of) when disabling alsa (using direct hw) and disabling sox.

Here I hit another issue: The playback with hardware volume is very weak, but I can set the volume. If I switch to software volume, DSD will come at at near 100% and the volume pot will not work.

So the working combination seems to be alsa disabled, sox disabled, software volume and external pre/amp.

Ok, I might be up to something here. DSD will work (sort of) when disabling alsa (using direct hw) and disabling sox.

Here I hit another issue: The playback with hardware volume is very weak, but I can set the volume. If I switch to software volume, DSD will come at at near 100% and the volume pot will not work.

So the working combination seems to be alsa disabled, sox disabled, software volume and external pre/amp.

For that particular DAC and it's firmware as it relates to Linux. I'm very glad it's working, but those settings would not be typical/normal for all DACs.

If you are using an external preamp then I would suggest you fully disable the Moode volume control, don't use hardware or software volume, disable it and use the preamp's volume control only.

Last edited:
I have already posted a similar question in the Camilla DSP thread, but I realised that this is a much better place to post my question.

I am about to start building a 3 way active speaker using DSP crossovers and Camilla DSP. I was hoping to use my rpi 4 as streamer and DSP (using Camilla) and connect to an AVR receiver using either HDMI or USB.

What is the preferred way of getting 6 separate channels of audio from Moode, USB or HDMI? Is it even possible to extract individual channels from HDMI, or do I need to use an external soundcard like Asus Xonar U7.

Many Thanks!

Hi,

moOde 7.4.0 is available for download :) This release includes important new features, updates and bug fixes including Multiroom Audio, CamillaDSP Quick Select, and Backup/Restore Manager. Visit the Forum for more information. moOde 7.4.0 is available

-Tim

Attachments

• moode-r700.png
    moode-r700.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 586
is it possible to check whether the hardware volume Is it possible to check if the hardware volume control is working properly? Any command? I have an XMOS converter from DIYINHK and their ak4490 DAC in which the i2c volume control should work. In the options, of course, hardware volume control is set.