Official M2 schematic

Hi guys,

call me crazy, but in my system M1 (mono bloc version of M2 :) ) outperform monsters XA60.5 in almost every way. From the first note it's clear that this is one phenomenal piece of kit. Naturalness first come to mind. It may be because tweeters in my speakers are so wrong? (BW 800D2) Is it maybe XA60.5 actually right and simply reveal all bad things of this bloody diamond tweeter? I don't know. But I do know that with M1's my speakers are simply amazing!
One more thing: I have more than enough power in my room, sitting some 3 meters from speakers.

Choky aka Zen present his work in blog and here, on BigDiya, only non-standard parts are C-core main transformer and some vintage Rifa PEH 169 cap's. Everything else standard. He even omit Cardas wires I supply :) So typical for him hehehe

Many thx to NP!!!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You might find yourself with some issues if you use two separate switching
supplies - they won't have the exact same frequency of emissions, and they
tend to "beat" to form audible noise. This is particularly true if one is used
for the (+) and the other for the (-) rail.

This is apart from the notion that RF noise interferes with the performance
of the amplifier circuits.

As a concept you can make this work with external supplies and enough
filtering, but it starts to be as much trouble as a transformer and caps.

:cool:

Teabag has a group buy in the "group buy" forum here. It just ended, but last time he did this there were a few extra sets. Contact asap! If he is out of transformers, they come from edcor.

I don't know where orders/supplies are now but IMO the boards that Teabag sells are excellent - some of the best I've seen.

Jim

My M2 is alive! I let it burn in a couple hours before listening. This is one fine amp. I only have a F6 clone to compare with in regards to other First Watt designs. I find the M2 more relaxed sounding. It projects a big sound with most of the detail of the F6. The nice surprise is that I can play it louder than the F6 without sounding strained. It's very easy on the ears and my big horn speakers. I will compare to my direct coupled 2A3s next but right now I think this amp could be the long term replacement I've been hoping for. (I only use this amp north of 65 hz as my subs are tapped horns powered by a Crest audio pro amp and active crossover.)

The picture shows the M2 boards in a temporary home with power being furnished from my finished F6 in the diystore chassis. Bottom line, I really like this amp. Thanks to all who helped me here and to Teabags for the first class boards. And a huge thanks for the man himself - Nelson Pass.

Jim

Attachments

• M2number1.jpg
    M2number1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 746
  • M2number2.jpg
    M2number2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 740
anybody got a lead on the WNDR50FET 3W 0.5 ohm 1% Ive ordered from Mouser but shipping at the moment is not until November! A quick look this morning on line and i cant find in stock anywhere to ship to the UK?

Ok Ive just seen this so Im going to ask if they have in stock and shipping time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B017UTR5PQ

Dispatched from Czech Republic but only 19 reveiws in total and none for this product

Ill update on news

Last edited: