Papa’s slot loaded open baffle version #2

I used MDF and put a vinyl wrap over it. Not the best looking wrap, but it helped with an inexpensive construction.

I'd take Papa's advice and make the baffle removable and make more than one. I've already switched FR drivers, one 8" for another 8". It fits, just barely, since the dimensions are not the same between manufacturers.

I'd like to try a 10" FR but that means speaker surgery. Having a removable baffle would make it a lot easier to change FR drivers.

Suggestions for baffle wood choice?

I will use birch ply for the bass cradle and 20mm clear acrylic for the baffle.

It's nice that Papa's SLOB has a detachable baffle as it means it's easy to try different full-range drivers - I'll use construction grade plywood baffles for any experiments.

I would like to use Bamboo 'ply' for the cradle but it seems to be almost unobtanium in the UK at the moment and what there is available seems to be ridiculously priced.

51b5aqd67BL._AC_SY450_-01.jpeg

:D

ZM's advice is the best, as usual.

I tried a bunch of amps for the woofers- Hafler P500, XL600 (way too much) ACA (not quite enough), F1J ( the best one, but I felt guilty letting it run the woofers and not the FR), VFET (had to try it, same as F1J), F5 (pretty good but the amp needs to be rebuilt, runs too hot).

On a whim I bought a cheap TPA3255, 200W per channel, class D amp online. Runs on a 32V SMPS. It's small, uses less power, runs cool and runs the woofers with no issues.

I'll keep it until I build the LM3886 amp from the GB.