SB Acoustics Textreme

think you have DATS V2 version and I have DATS V3 version. DATS V3 is more accurate and more powerfull - resonance impedance graph is steeper, peak higher. Therefore, in my opinion, the subtle differences

I have DATSv3. When I magnify the impedance scale, my plot looks similar to yours.

My concern has been with how I interpret the 5k wiggle. I did not want to assume that it is a cone resonance without some other kind of evidence. Impedance curve anomalies can be caused by room echos /reflections or baffle resonances. However, now we have two independent impedance measurements (yours and mine) and both show a wiggle at 5k and also at 12k. So I am convinced the impedance wiggles are real and inherent to the driver... it is not a test setup error.

Attachments

• ZMW16TX-093.png
    ZMW16TX-093.png
    224.2 KB · Views: 522
I noticed that you like textreme Satori tweeter more than beryllium Satori? Or it was the guy from the Kaiser company? I made some three way´s speaker with beryllium Satori - not bad, maybe very good, but slightly overrated. I'm a little curious about textreme tweeter...

I have no opinion at this point on whether the textreme satori tweeter is better than the beryllium version. I am assuming there will be minor, if any, audible or measurable differences between the two, but that is just an assumption. I am hoping that with a spread-tow carbon fiber (i.e. textreme) SBA can achieve the performance of beryllium at a lower cost. We shall see…

SB's data sheet shows pretty clearly the main resonance is around 5khz, so I'm not sure why this is unexpected?

The data sheet I have does not show the impedance with enough resolution to see any wiggles at 5k or 12k... so I could not be certain that I was not making a test error until I was confirmed by BPatrik.

Since I can not make a CSD plot with enough resolution to see the resonance... and since the 5k on-axis rise and the 60 degree off-axis null occur right where an ideal infinitely stiff cone would have a off axis null... And since I am the first (to my knowledge) to post measurements of the MW16TX drivers... I was hesitant to claim a 5 k resonance.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I haven't read all the posts; how does the off axis look at 2000, 3000, 4000 Hz? For me; I don't mind beaming within reason as I am the only listener so a narrow sweet spot is not much of an issue. "I" am most concerned with transient, phase and frequency accuracy and the overall tonal balance. I do prefer 1st order X/O whenever possible; of course, this requires very careful driver matching. Obviously; not every driver does well with 1st order...

I would curious to see if anyone tries a 1st order X/O (HP and LP both) with the TexTreme MW16 and the TexTreme tweeter

I have listened to the MW16TX driver full range in an open baffle... 24x24 inch. It sounded good, clean, detailed... but I don't think that counts for much.

I won't be installing these drivers in a cabinet until december or january. I am not going to swap out the SB CAC drivers in my current system... those boxes are buttoned up and I don't intend to take them apart unless something breaks. I plan to build new cabinets for the TXT drivers.

how does the off axis look at 2000, 3000, 4000 Hz?
see post #546...

hifijim,
Your MW16TX-4 SPL directivity measurements are similar to SB_Acoustics. I would still use a 1.8kHz - 2.0kHz crossover frequency as with the Satori MW16P-4 paper cone, but expect better sound using shallow slope +LR2 / -LR2 crossover circuits because of the smoother high frequency extension. For improved phase response, a TeXtreme designer could experiment with time-aligned stepped baffle cabinets and measure if the shape of the stiffer TeXtreme cones on the midbass & tweeter reduce the baffle step-edge distortion effects. I'm not a fan of slanted baffles.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Some good reasons why I am wanting the TexTreme MR13 MID; I don't like to cross between 2000 and 4000 if it can be avoided. I realize this is exactly where most 6 in. 2-ways cross; why I MUCH prefer a 3-way over a 2-way. (My opinions of course; back to the Fletcher Munson curve)...FWIW

Linesource - agree

For transitions from mid to tweeter, my personal design guideline is to select Fc at the point where the mid 45 degree off axis response is no more than 3 dB down from the on-axis... and less is better. In the case of MW16TX, at 2 k the 45 degree response is 2 dB down. This will be the starting point for a crossover frequency.

I should say that with my existing system (SB17CAC35 and SB26CDC), I started with 2 kHz LR4, and then experimented with a lot of different slopes and Fc... 1.6k, 2.4k, LR2, BW3... in the end, nothing sounded superior to the original 2 kHz LR4.

Oldspkrguy - I don't find 2k to 3k crossovers to be objectionable... maybe I am not hearing what you are hearing.