• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Show your transformer work (gallery)

I don't usually take many pics and when I do I delete after a while - here are a few that survived - EL84 PP parallel, output Tx, one of a pair.
I do not buy bobbins but when I need one I make it from fiberglass reinforced sheet (from AliExpress) design in Fusion360 and cut it on my CNC mill. I have 2 winders - homemade with stepper motor traverse, and an old 1950's Aumann made in Germany, this one can wind up to 1.4mm wire. Last photo is an adjustable bobbin holder I recently made, I'm sick of making a new one from wood with every new transformer I make.

Screenshot 2023-05-13 121947.jpg

Screenshot 2022-12-04 211148.jpg

20230524_161655.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I did see the audiokarma 'dynaco - z565' thread about the rewind, pity there was no follow-up on how it turned out, there was some critical winding layout info missing, not all of the windings are in the same direction, if the op didn't notice this when the Tx was unwound to count the turns the end result would have been disappointing.

I've got 1.8mm thick glass reinforced board - it actually measures around 1.6mm - 1.7mm, came from Aliexpress - having made a few bobbins from it I feel I could go thinner and will get something around 1.2mm thick to use on smaller transformers. For interleaving insulation, when I use it, I have a mixture of various thickness of paper ranging from .02mm up to .08mm - I found some old rolls of lunch wrap paper dating back to the 1960's, thickness is around .04mm and a large roll of brown paper .06mm thick - one of the Avo Douglas coil winder user manuals (I can't recall which) has a small chart with suggested thicknesses of interleaving paper for various wire sizes. For insulation between windings, I have some insulation - not sure what it is called - came from a motor winder supply shop - comes in a 1.2m wide roll - 0.15mm thick.

Joined 2020
Paid Member
Update-
Got sidetracked w/ resto of 2 tube receivers- Westinghouse 204 and RCA 7-BX-10 shortwave...

So after much thinking, decided B+ winding should be wrapped after primaries. They concluded w/ full bobbin row, so next group would have uniform platform to start. If had wound filaments instead- would have produced jagged landscape to wind the next 10 layers of 23ga- NFW

Pic 1 shows completed 10 rows of 72 B+ windings
Pic 2 shows how useful duct tape and a lawn chair can be when repurposed... add a six pack and you've got a 'sitter, but arranged differently- lmao
Pic 3 shows how much of the 625 feet 23ga I had left after winding the B+ (whew- knew it would be close)

NOW to filament windings- depth caliper indicates not much space left on bobbin relative to E cores...
To be continued...
Jim

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Finished the fix-
Pics below- Sequence of events...
1. Securing the connections
3. Measuring winding group- Measure 2.97" max point vs 2.99" space in laminates... whew, close again...
4. Fixed!! for what was ordered vs original label shown and what I received- caveat emptor-
Jim

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 1 users
@50AE , what kind of guide tooling you use to straighten 0.6 - 0.8mm wire and make trifilar winding? Some kind of plastic plate with rectangular canal? For monofilar winding I use set of custom 45deg V-groove rollers made from industrial nylon. It helps straighten thick enamel wires, albeit not perfectly for diameter 0.75mm+.
I saw this 6 V-groove roller wire straighten tool on youtube, yet it requires too high torque from spindle motor I don't have. My CNC linear coil winder is driven by 2 synchronized step motors from interrupt driven micro-controller as 2-channel pulse generator. Traditional scheme usually uses servo AC motor (which have much higher torque compared to step motor of similar size) for spindle with encoder to drive shuttle step motor. Replacing spindle motor with more powerful unit is quite difficult and time consuming in my case.
Thanks !

Attachments

• Photo 23-06-18 17-40-44 7556.jpg
    Photo 23-06-18 17-40-44 7556.jpg
    423.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Photo 23-06-27 22-46-07 7611.jpg
    Photo 23-06-27 22-46-07 7611.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot at 2023-06-27 23-13-27.png
    Screenshot at 2023-06-27 23-13-27.png
    564.6 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: 1 user
Here's a pic of my wire guide, I've never wound a trifilar winding, I have done bifilar output transformer secondaries, each wire needs to be on a separate spool, but this for me is not common so I don't have a permanent setup for bifilar, I don't understand why you need to straighten wire if it is new wire coming off a spool, it is a well known fact that copper work hardens so bending it back and forth will actually tend to harden it. I have found this is not really noticeable on thinner wires up to 0.7mm - 0.8mm but with thicker wire say 1.2mm -1.4mm it is noticeable. My Aumann winder has a 500watt motor and can wind 1.4mm wire, even so I tend to go slowly with wire that thick. I feel you would only need a 6 groove wire straightener if you used secondhand wire that had kinks in it, a few times I've started a winding with 0.9mm wire and had to unwind after a few turns, a straightener would work well in this case.
Screenshot 2023-06-28 103127.jpg

I don't understand why you need to straighten wire if it is new wire coming off a spool, it is a well known fact that copper work hardens so bending it back and forth will actually tend to harden it. I have found this is not really noticeable on thinner wires up to 0.7mm - 0.8mm but with thicker wire say 1.2mm -1.4mm it is noticeable.
I don't use second-hand used material. Enamel wire comes to retailer in huge spools, and then service man rewinds into small 3kg spools which perfectly fit into my stand spool holder with tensioner. As result wire has some kinks which is not a problem for thin wire, e.g. 0.4 - 0.5mm, but for 0.75mm+ my guide rollers are not enough to completely straighten it. Winding quality is still acceptable but I would be happy to remedy this problem.

Last edited:
I don't use second-hand used material. Enamel wire comes to retailer in huge spools, and then service man rewinds into small 3kg spools which perfectly fit into my stand spool holder with tensioner. As result wire has some kinks which is not a problem for thin wire, e.g. 0.4 - 0.5mm, but for 0.75mm+ my guide rollers are not enough to completely straighten it. Winding quality is still acceptable but I would be happy to remedy this problem.
Ok now I understand, I have similar situation and have to wait a few days for it to be taken from large spools and put onto smaller spools, my supplier however does not put any kinks into the wire so no need to straighten. In addition to the old Aumann winder I also have a home made winder that I used for 7 or 8 yrs, the spindle drive uses a Renault 16 radiator fan motor, and the wire feeder uses a stepper motor taken from an old printer, the spindle it is not that powerful and maximum wire size I can use is about 0.7mm, here is a 1 min video of it winding a choke for a Fender Deluxe Reverb build.