TABAQ TL for Tangband

What type of enclosure are you using for your Tang Band W8-2145?

I am intrigued by the W8-2145 and am interested in enclosures people may have used for it, particularly TLs.

There are lots of Sealed and Base Reflex ones out there. But regarding TLs, I have only seen the Betsy K TABAQ on this site modeled by Bjorn, which I believe has been used for the W8-2145, and a slightly tapered and folded MLTL on the Parts Express comments.

There is an interesting thread "Tang Band W6-2144 vs W8-2145 for Onken enclosure" ...all the best

Have you listen W5-2143?
I have successes with W4-1320sif bamboo cone so
I am curious about W5-2143 MLTL.

Hi tamra,

I have not yet had the chance to listen to the W5-2143.

But my stone TABAQs using the W4-1052SD sound wonderful, after adding a small notch filter.

I really wanted to push with Tang Band, but it has been some hit and miss with their drivers.

Lately, I have been really surprised with SBAcoustics' drivers. They are well built and sound really nice.

I will be testing some combinations to see how it goes.
Their only 3" full range driver has a high Qts that might not work well in the TABAQ, but they have other drivers that might work, going FAST/WAW.

Thanks Kissabout. Nice enclosure.

Hi Perceval.I also have SB Acoustics Satori 2way.
It's so smooth. I would like to listen Satori Coaxial MLTL.
W4-1320 have nice 3D imaging also percussion sound.
I really like to listen classical Indian music.
In my small experience,TB bamboo cone sounded best for 3D imaging of Sitar sound.
Fast/WAW with W3-2143 might be great. I enjoy reading 10F/WAW thread.

Tamra,
yes, there are a couple new coax coming soon that look interesting.

If you want the best sitar sound, I suggest you try the SB65 2.5" Wideband.
It is amazing with string instruments.

Combine it with a woofer (sealed, ported or even MLTL) like in the WAW thread and trust me, you will enjoy that sound a lot.

Regarding my W5 TABAQ Large, I have considered doing some major surgery to the baffle to accommodate another woofer, or get a W5 woofer from TB, then add a tweeter.

But.... I already have a lot of drivers laying around and I don't want my W5-1611saf just gathering dust!

On another note, I measured the little red Fostex monitors that were sold to me, saying they have a flat response..... they do NOT! Really disappointed with those!

So, I will keep them, but add a pair of tweeter I already have, the 25-1744S - 25mm Ceramic Dome Tweeter - TB SPEAKER CO., LTD. .

They were meant for something else, but we'll see.

Attachments

• Photo Mar 11, 1 42 56 PM.jpg
    Photo Mar 11, 1 42 56 PM.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 382
What type of enclosure are you using for your Tang Band W8-2145?

I am intrigued by the W8-2145 and am interested in enclosures people may have used for it, particularly TLs.

There are lots of Sealed and Base Reflex ones out there. But regarding TLs, I have only seen the Betsy K TABAQ on this site modeled by Bjorn, which I believe has been used for the W8-2145, and a slightly tapered and folded MLTL on the Parts Express comments.

I have this as nearfield desktop speakers computer based system in 24l closed boxes and it sound amazing!

But I use EQ also and made an peak up +6db in 45hz to get som boost.
Right or wrong I don't care never had better sound!

Kissabout:

I really appreciate your providing the reference to the Onken thread regarding the W8-2145 and your pointer on use of a helper tweeter to address the high frequency beaming of the W6-2144. Your approach to mounting the tweeter on your TABAQ is exceptionally elegant and an inspiration!

Thank you.

senordilys3542 thank you for your comment :)

Fullrange does not exists.
There is no driver out there that can give the full range of FR , they either lack at the bottom or the top.

There's nothing wrong in giving a little help by going WAW, or in this case, TAW!

Gotta see fullrange as mostly widerange, where one driver does most of the job, and gets assisted to finish the job, either way.

Fullrange does not exists.
There is no driver out there that can give the full range of FR , they either lack at the bottom or the top.

There's nothing wrong in giving a little help by going WAW, or in this case, TAW!

Gotta see fullrange as mostly widerange, where one driver does most of the job, and gets assisted to finish the job, either way.

Fullrange speaker is just one element for me not about whole frequency curve from 20 to 20khz maybe I'm conservative.
So you just building an 2-way now.
:)

I'm making TABAQ with x2 Visaton FRS8M speakers, however I don't know how should I mount my speakers. In the original TABAQ speaker center is at 26 cm from the edge. Should I mount my x1 speaker at the 26 cm and another 35-36 cm from the edge or should I mount x1 front at 26 cm and another at the back at 26 cm? Which approach is the correct one?

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_152936.jpg
    IMG_20200312_152936.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 317
I'm making TABAQ with x2 Visaton FRS8M speakers, however I don't know how should I mount my speakers. In the original TABAQ speaker center is at 26 cm from the edge. Should I mount my x1 speaker at the 26 cm and another 35-36 cm from the edge or should I mount x1 front at 26 cm and another at the back at 26 cm? Which approach is the correct one?

Hi Entas,

the original Tabaq is for one driver only not two, where did you got that information? ....all the best