The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

@sannax: You can do it that way, but if you blow 1 driver, it will tend to cascade, because the remaining 4 in parallel will now take more current. You lose 5 drivers before the whole speaker opens up. When you do 5 strings, if you lose 1 driver, it stops there, blowing 1 speaker, silencing 4 more, and letting 20 keep playing.

Marc

Would it be any difference to arrange 5 in parallell and then these 5 groups in series?
8/5 x 8=8ohm

You would also need a lot more wire inside the cabinet which is not a good thing.

This image is a pretty good visual representation of how to do it from Roger Russell

597632d1486469724-full-range-tc9-line-array-cnc-cabinet-screen-shot-2017-01-24-10.13.47-pm.png

I own 2 Ayreon CD's, one is Into the Electric Castle, love that one. For various reasons. The second one is 010011001. That was a let down for me. Or more of the same theme... :eek:
Into the Electric Castle was the best one for me too
However the "solo" albums from Arjen Lucassen I enjoyed very much, both Lost In The New Real and The Gentle Storm.
I liked these better

I know Arjen from his days he was the guitar player in the Dutch Rock band Vengeance. Childhood memories there... I've even saw him on some Rock Concerts I went to in the late 80's as he's hard to miss being a pretty tall guy.
Now you are talking, 80's euro rock. I think I can still smell the hairspray ;)
Joking aside I quite like them :D

The reason to look forward to the new CD are: Govan Guthrie and Paul Gilbert. :)
Interesting

Vengeance was a fun party band to see live. The intro to their song "Rock 'n Roll Shower" was used as the intro of a radio Rock show called: Vara's Vuurwerk.

The album "Arabia" was kind of a sign in which direction Arjen would go.
The start of his 'Rock Opera' themed career I suppose.

Growing up on that music was fun. We had Adje Vandenburg with his band Vandenburg who became a known guitar player in Whitesnake. After his depart from Whitesnake he would still show up for a couple of songs during concerts of Whitesnake in the Netherlands. He started a new band a few years ago called "The Moonkings".
Sleeze Beez was another fun band, I still go see Andrew Elt (the singer of that band) perform with his Led Zeppelin tribute band: Physical Graffiti.
Andrew seems to form a new band as well, haven't heard anything yet, got an invite on Facebook.

Our biggest national product (or pride) was of course Van Halen with the two Dutch brothers Alex and Eddie... :)

Last edited:
The TC9s are $9.59 if you buy 50, or $9.06 if you buy 100, at Parts-Express right now.

I just bought 50 TC9s at DigiKey. I wondered whether this will work over here in Germany. And, what shoul i say, i was amazing? Only 48 hours after payment UPS rang at my door!

Price? 8.55€ + VAT I don't know any cheaper source for this speakers in Germany. Very happy bout the smooth transaction!

Apparently both TC9s and line source speakers are getting very popular these days, thanks to wesayso's awesome towers.

The TC9 and its siblings are very good drivers. However, I keep wondering why the designers held back on the motor design. The TC9 as well as the 10F has somewhat BL non-symmetry which could have been solved by a 2 or 3 mm extended pole. Maybe they can't do more than a 8mm length shorting ring (on the TC9) which is already less for the current motor, without increasing cost. Anyone opened up a 10F?

The earlier very low prices on Digikey (around $7 or so) for the 4ohm TG9, was it even real?

deccatree, exactly 50? you never though about getting any spare pieces?

Wesayso, looking forward to your subwoofers.

The enthusiasm for arrays these days is heart-warming :).

I would have loved to see some Klippel tests of the TC9. I reached out to Erin (Bikinpunk/Medley's Musing) but he never responded to my question.

If (and that's still a big if) I am successful, integrating the subs like I want to on the bottom end it will limit the travel on the TC9's. I think it would be beneficial to the overall performance.

We have to keep in mind the original intend of these drivers. Designed as TV speakers. It's the overall smoothness without big stand out resonances or break up that makes them qualified for this array miss-use. :)

The Vifa's (including your Kevlar coned example) and the Scan Speak 10F stand out in their clean IR response and relative flat frequency response. Almost no ringing in the top end compared to a lot of similar sized drivers.

I hope the people that are gearing up for arrays will take the time to start a thread about it. Together we can raise the bar even higher. I'll help where I can!

Last edited:
Re: TC9 Pricing:
I think Parts Express has just been responding to DigiKey. Qty.50 quote has been US $9.06 ea. for a while at DigiKey. Qty.100 is down around $8.60-ish. Not sure about the shipping.
Parts Express may match price if you point it out to them nicely. ...and they have free shipping (at least in U.S.) for orders over roughly $100.
M

A
deccatree, exactly 50? you never though about getting any spare pieces?

Wesayso, looking forward to your subwoofers.

Yes exactly 50. This is because my project isn't a 25. A 25 would be to tall for my living room. So i'll go for a 20+1 (Tweeter), full active, digitally filtered and EQed. That's the plan now.
I'll do some testing and measuring when all parts have arrived. I also plan to build a active subwoofer when the line is what i'm expecting. I'll go for a dipol subwoofer, a so called ripol. But first i'm trying to get a good line running. I call my project "Sally" according to "Long Tall Sally" by Little Richard, you know ;-)

BR
rs

I just bought 50 TC9s at DigiKey. I wondered whether this will work over here in Germany. And, what shoul i say, i was amazing? Only 48 hours after payment UPS rang at my door!

Price? 8.55€ + VAT I don't know any cheaper source for this speakers in Germany. Very happy bout the smooth transaction!
ζsince you are in germany how much you paid total?vat and import tax?