The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I wouldn't trade mine with a 996. I basically lost interest when they went towards water boilers :D.

I love the excellence in simplicity of these cars. A concept that has been optimised for years and years.

These air-cooled RWD Porsches really are the full range drivers of the car world, aren't they? A quirky concept with many detractors, but some of the best engineers in the biz that make them work. And when they work the magic begins!

Lot of money though, a beauty like that. Good thing classic cars are "work" for me and audio a hobby... It would be much more expensive the other way around!

Time to start thinking about my subwoofers again...
subproject.jpg

I might be making things way more complicated than needed with my current plans, as I did with the arrays too (lol).

I have most of the tools needed for the job, just trying to figure out how to get the materials I need. I can't go out to a nearby shop and get it there.

Should I reconsider and just use wooden window braces?
sub.jpg

I'm itching to get started! I don't expect it will be an easy integration with the arrays but to get there I'll have to build something first.

Time to start thinking about my subwoofers again...

Should I reconsider and just use wooden window braces?

I'm itching to get started! I don't expect it will be an easy integration with the arrays but to get there I'll have to build something first.

I would, I was interested to see what you did with the metal but I can't really see the benefit. I would consider dadoing them into the panels, this creates a very strong and stiff enclosure, something like troels did but less fiddly.

My uncle has had great success using 1.5 inch wooden closet rod dowels for bracing. Works well and is very cost effective. Taking an extra step you can tie together the very center of each dowel tightly to each other to combat even more resonance. Of course it's won't overcome a very lossy box entirely but I don't suspect you would produce something like that anyhow considering the work you put into the towers.

Wes

I think I might still go with that steel frame. Just have to figure out how to get the raw materials delivered. (nobody home during the day and way to long to have it delivered at work).
That Troels sub is all braces. That eats away volume in a hurry. :) That's what I was trying to prevent while still building a very solid box.

Then I don't understand why you asked if you should reconsider :confused:

Perhaps less fiddly was not a good way to describe it. I was meaning a lot less and directly dadoed to avoid the lips he used. But using the basic principle of what he did.

Either way I'm sure you will keep at it until you get it right :)

Don't get me wrong, I like the input, and if I do go with wood I'll use both dado and rods. :) Rods from a corner to a brace.

I'm also concerned about weight, or rather: a lack of it. The steel frame will bring some weight in without adding the volume. I like weight to counter the moving mass.

We've got some school holidays coming up where I might be able to get something delivered. I have all the tools to deal with the steel frame. All I need are some fixtures to get it how I want it. I realize it's the difficult way but that never stopped me before. It will take time, so I need to be patient once again.

There's so much I still want to try and not always enough time to do it all.

Attachments

• 917-engine-cutaway-1024x996.jpg
    917-engine-cutaway-1024x996.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 318
  • c5703963da2a52889fcf8db9cfd3751b.jpg
    c5703963da2a52889fcf8db9cfd3751b.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 309
As beautiful as the endurance car is, the brutal 917/30 that Mark Donohue drove in the CanAm for Penske is my favorite.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Rules had to change on both sides of the ocean because of these monsters :D.

But if the 911 is like a full range driver like it was said a page ago, the 917 would definitely be an array. The CanAm 917 would be a ported array. More output but not without having consequences in timing. I'll take the sealed (naturally aspired) version any day :D. One could even see my arrays as a souped-up 917 engine with a blower (with all the EQ boost I use). Finicky to get right, but when you do...(just kidding here)

I have a huge admiration for what they did in those years, the drivers all had to have big b###s, euhh... you know what I mean... These cars were monsters and probably were the last of their sort in an all out attempt at greatness in their respective classes. The cars weighed next to nothing. The drivers feet were in front of the front axles. Huge power, this was crazy stuff.

I love the looks though of that endurance racer. And the tubular frame was pretty crazy too!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2144a5ab4e3e6ad7a0e9bf75359cf633.jpg
    2144a5ab4e3e6ad7a0e9bf75359cf633.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 9612236d67745bf552b45aa1bb14c9d7.jpg
    9612236d67745bf552b45aa1bb14c9d7.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I don't particularly like MDF. I know it's heavier, but it's just compressed cardboard to me. :eek:

I guess steel adds more weight and might be more stiff while taking up less volume. :D

I like to think of it as compressed pine sawdust and glue ;)

I don't like the idea of putting a welded steel frame in a speaker :eek:

Maybe you will make me rethink when I see the end result :D