The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Not much fun washing the car in this weather... :)

I should be building my 6 channel Neurochrome pré amp or something. But I kind of am
stuck waiting... With a feeling of not being able to move forward. I haven't grabbed any
opportunity I've had to measure and adjust the current arrays with the added filters.

The mind is a strange thing... I can't seem to get myself in gear....
So I'm playing with plans for my Audi car stereo and getting some wheels for the summer season.
Figuring out rim and tire sizes and whatnot...

My BMW was delivered with stock summer performance tires on the eve of a snowstorm in NC where they aren't equipped to plow snow. I couldn't leave the driveway until it had melted a week later. You could get high performance all weather tires like the Conti Extreme Contact that I've been using, but what would be the fun of that?

I would love to see a set of measurements out there with a properly EQ-ed SH50. Then it would get the respect it deserves. I've waited a long time to see this kind of measurements on that line of speakers (Danley Synergy) and it didn't disappoint.

I hope more people will recognize it for what it is: a big and excellent load of potential!
My speakers could never match the output potential(*), the rest (the mountains) is solvable with simple means. While I think they have too small of a coverage angle for the home HiFi crowd in a regular environment, they will nail it for Home Theatre.
The Hyperion has about the same coverage angles, to really be competitive in HiFi I think it would take a wider coverage angle. I still love it for what it is. An ingenious solution to solve an almost unsolvable problem. Is it ideal? Not quite, but what it...

(*) If you ask me, headroom is one of the key ingredients to get Dynamics, more is better...

In my small room, the output potential is overkill, but EQ'd (with Dirac Live), they are astonishing. Alas, things have changed a bit around here, and they are for sale, along with a few other "surplus" speakers.

So glad I'm still able to enjoy the speakers while I wait for the 10F to arrive.
No other TC9 has broken on me and I've been using the speakers regularly.

Probably makes it overkill to switch to the 10F in the end, but hey, curiosity won me over on that one :D.

I've particularly enjoyed watching movies with the family, which really is a family moment we all do enjoy. Once in a while my girl will make a remark on the sound, she really was fooled into hearing a real truck, while it was coming from off camera into the shot.
I won't brag about it at moments like that but do enjoy it that I'm not the only one noticing. Even in an off center position on the couch it remains most enjoyable. My son has definitely taken over that center seat :D.

I'm keeping myself busy with lots of walks to fully get my health back and planning car upgrades. I should move on to building the pré-amp, but I'm not quite motivated enough as everything I have now works flawlessly.

Another year is coming to an end soon, how time flies!

Ronald,

Good to hear that you are enjoying the speakers with the family.

Also good to know that you are getting your strength back with the walks - keep up the good work.

Looks like another year went by us too quickly... Wishing you and the good folks of the forum a wonderful holiday season!

Yep, already morning the 1st here.

Unfortunately, spent it in a small humid hotel room, alone in quarantine.
Just came back from 2 months back home, and they take quarantine VERY seriously here... I guess that's why they don't have any cases running around.

Happy New Year, and may it be filled with great songs, love and health.

I can't wait! Now I know I would hate the life of a prisoner! I better be a good man!

Listening to songs on laptop speakers... first thing I do when I get home is firing up the sound system!
Yep, they are very strict around here, but they also had a big party outside, fireworks, lots of people together (although everyone has to wear a mask). I pay the price so everyone can enjoy those things.

I knew it, but I had to. It was my mom's 80th birthday and her partner's funeral. I had to be there since I wasn't there for many years. I added Christmas because it is a fun time of the year!

Enjoy your outside walks (if the weather allows). I miss going outside! Do a couple of steps for me! :)

Recently I joined the ASR forums, mainly because I had noticed my project was mentioned a couple of times. I figured I could add a few things.
This made me post in a thread where I knew in advance I didn't have much of a chance of helping a fellow understand STEP responses.
Anyway, as part of my replies I linked to an old scanned paper from John Dunlavy. I figured that specific document deserved another run on the
internet. I cleaned it up a bit, ran it trough Google OCR and uploaded it there. Might as well give it a bit more traffic, so find it uploaded here...

I had a bit of a laugh when I read the part of: A wide "sound-stage". I'm pretty sure Mr. Floyd Toole will disagree with that part (among other parts).
For me, i see/read a lot that I like in that paper and it has been an inspirational read when I was first starting out with this project and my personal
quest of achieving linear phase (or an accurate result).

So here's: Loudspeaker Accuracy by John Dunlavy

Attachments

• Loudspeaker Accuracy - John Dunlavy.pdf
    865.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: