TPA3116D2 Amp

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
We just use 19 volt laptop smps bricks or the Meanwell (NES 150) 24 volt unit adjusted down to 21 volts. Something like this: Genuine MeanWell Mean Well MW 24V 6.5A 150W Regulated AC/DC Switching Power Supply NES 150 24 ( S 150 24 ), Net Price-in Switching Power Supply from Electronics on Aliexpress.com

You could spend a fortune and make a "big iron" power supply with a $100 toroid transformer huge caps and rectifier bridges... But this is class D, might as well use switching supplies.

Okay thanks! Good to know

I'll take that bet (because I know I'd win).

The cause is in the chip itself. Most likely in the internal LDO and/or the input circuitry because it doesn't help to run it PBTL either so it's not related to the output circuitry. Naturally, you can pull more power out at PBTL if your speakers have lower impedance but the problem with higher voltage is still there.

Interestingly, the automotive qualified TPA3132 (same chip internally as TPA3116/18) recommends an operating voltage of 19V which is good advice for the TPA3116/18 as well.

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes learning is a little slow. The next big question. Why even fool with the TPA3116 if you can't run it over 19 volts when you can run the high quality Sure TPA3110 at the same 19 volts maximum at generally a lower price?

You could spend a fortune and make a "big iron" power supply with a $100 toroid transformer huge caps and rectifier bridges... But this is class D, might as well use switching supplies.

I will soon test a not-so-big iron power supply from an old AIWA boombox. Says 3.15A fuse, should be enough.

However I will not be at home this week, so it will have to wait until February.

I just wonder what sounds better and made an old fashioned transformer based power supply. Not listened yet.

Don't bother. Everyone agrees that these amps sound better on batteries than any linear or switched supply. And since they're class D they will last a very long time on even a small built in battery bank. Use for example 6 lifepo4 batteries in series.

Add a circuit that switch the amp on (by using the SD input) and cuts mains supply when an audio signal is detected, and revert back to charging mode when not (possibly with a few minutes time out timer). Probably could do that with a single 555 and a handful of auxiliary components but not entirely sure.

Don't bother. Everyone agrees that these amps sound better on batteries than any linear or switched supply. And since they're class D they will last a very long time on even a small built in battery bank. Use for example 6 lifepo4 batteries in series.

Add a circuit that switch the amp on (by using the SD input) and cuts mains supply when an audio signal is detected, and revert back to charging mode when not (possibly with a few minutes time out timer). Probably could do that with a single 555 and a handful of auxiliary components but not entirely sure.

Saturnus (anyone here :)) do you know a good source for LiFePO4 cells/chargers, they seem really pricey. Also how many mAh is recommended as a minimum without having to charge all the time?

Thanks for the help

Don't bother. Everyone agrees that these amps sound better on batteries than any linear or switched supply.

Everyone might agree but I am not everyone. I will try out. I only know one common feature of switchers: they will fail but only when you need em most.

Also experiments with LiPo cells and the lack of knowledge on the charging methods (and following dangers) are not to recommend to DIYers. They should definitely not be charged all the time which requires a discipline rarely seen. Just look how people live with the necessity of charging their phones and laptops on time. Wrong charging (partly, only for a while when the device is needed etc.) leave the cells exhausted which requires even more charging and when cells are not fully discharged once in a while they go down rapidly. When people start to become irritated they simply start by using the device always connected to the charger (without even bothering to remove the by then exhausted battery). Seriously, LiPo is very nice but manufacturers could give better info on how to treat the cells and adapt chargers according the human habits.

Good old lead acid batteries are way safer and tolerant on mistreatment for DIY use but who wants a device containing acid in the living room ?

Please realize that LiPo can explode when not charged within 1% of specifications folks !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbD12lx2GUg

Last edited:
Everyone might agree but I am not everyone. I will try out. I only know one common feature of switchers: they will fail but only when you need em most.

Also experiments with LiPo cells and the lack of knowledge on the charging methods (and following dangers) are not to recommend to DIYers. They should definitely not be charged all the time which requires a discipline rarely seen. Just look how people live with the necessity of charging their phones and laptops on time. Wrong charging (partly, only for a while when the device is needed etc.) leave the cells exhausted which requires even more charging and when cells are not fully discharged once in a while they go down rapidly. When people start to become irritated they simply start by using the device always connected to the charger (without even bothering to remove the by then exhausted battery). Seriously, LiPo is very nice but manufacturers could give better info on how to treat the cells and adapt chargers according the human habits.

Good old lead acid batteries are way safer and tolerant on mistreatment for DIY use but who wants a device containing acid in the living room ?

Please realize that LiPo can explode when not charged within 1% of specifications folks !

Lipo - Explosion durch absichtliches Überladen - YouTube

Not the case with lifepo4 buddy, at all, research for your self

Although they do indeed need charge controllers as well, especial to make sure the cells don’t go too low, for the purpose of looking after the cell, not at all for them blowing you up though!

What do you think about gel batteries? Three 6V in series will give about 21V which seems perfect. They are cheep and easy to charge. Do you know any disadvantages comparing to LiFePO4? Size and weight doesn't matter :)

Gel is just another form of led acid battery... cheap but rubbish tech when compared to lifepo4.... do your googling, there is so much info out there about batteries. And its quite simple compared to amplifiers.

LiFePO4 is not LiPo.

LiFePO4 , can be safe, LiPo scares me....

I agree. I'd stay as far away from LiPo as possible in the needed capacity sizes. In phones they're ok. Laptops so so (but still in every laptop to this day).

LiFePO4 however. Completely safe. Much safer than SLAs as well. And the current handling capacity is much better too. Also even lower own noise level than SLAs. In fact, they're perfect.

You need about 1Ah per 2 hours of playing time at maximum volume if you have 6 in series and play on 4 ohm speakers. LiFePO4 batteries have no problems being deep discharged. In fact, they handle 2000 to 5000 (some up to 7000) charge cycles, or in other words over 10 times as many cycles as typical LiPo or SLA batteries.

Last edited: