TPA3116D2 Amp

What do you think about gel batteries? Three 6V in series will give about 21V which seems perfect. They are cheep and easy to charge. Do you know any disadvantages comparing to LiFePO4? Size and weight doesn't matter :)

Positives favouring LiFePO4

- SLAs can blow up, it's rare but it can happen. LiFePO4 cannot, it's simply impossible.
- LiFePO4 have lower own noise
- LiFePO4 have better current handling capacity
- LiFePO4 can be recharged over 10 times as many times before loss of capacity
- LiFePO4 work with standard SLA chargers but it's recommended to use dedicated chargers for full capacity and life time

Positives favouring SLAs

- SLAs are cheaper

Last edited:
Too ad more though, I spent a little time on some electric bicycle forums. It did seem important to not take lifepo4 cells too low. This seemed to be one thing that could shorten there life as aposed to all the other things you could do to them.

Yeah. Use a BMS PCB. But the same is true for SLAs. Deep discharge SLAs too far just once, and you can throw the battery away basically. It will never regain full capacity, own level will have risen by a factor of ten, and current handling will be severely affected.

I am not convinced of battery, not yet. They're good, but best? We'll see.

Battery bypassed with a big reservoir cap (batteries have an internal resistance) and small high freq cap ... what's not to love?!? :)

Yes stay away from LiPo unless you know the differences and you know what you're doing.

Good 'Ol SLA batts, safe and easy. "Acid in the living room", SLA are used in computer UPS and safety lights all over the place. Just know what you're doing.

How about someone post a nice, easy and safe 12V SLA recharge circuit for less than 5 Ah and more than 5 Ah.

:cool:

Last edited:
I am using this:

12 Volt 5 AmpH SLA Battery with F1 Terminal : Amazon.com : Automotive

And I love it. Been using it for about an hour to two hours every night the last two weeks and the thing is still on its first charge! The difference between the battery and laptop brick is quite noticeable. The difference between the battery and a 12v 3.4 amp Pyramid regulated power supply, less so, but it's quieter, that's for sure. As you can see, I have been running this below 19v and am a happy camper. One of these days, when I see an old 19v pc brick at GW, I'll give higher voltages a try.

...any one with the red YJ board check out polarity issues? reverse labeled speaker posts is how I think this thing comes....anyhow I got some listening time in. It sounds great in the mids and highs but is really lacking bass. I know someone mentioned a mod that improved bass response but god knows what page that was on. Any ideas??? I'm running with a 19v 5a power supply.

Running on batteries with a large bulk capacitor, changing input caps to larger and better suited type, changing bulk decoupling caps to ones with much higher ripple current capacity, and replacing the output filter with a ferrite bead filter will all improve bass response (as well as everything else).

New TPA3116 Class-D Amp Board

- Uses axial parts of capacitors and resistors, easy to change the values for different load and match the input impedance vs gain setting.

- No Via connections in any signal paths.

- Free copper pour under the power inductors (Minimum GND Noise interference)

- Build- In Stand-By and Mute Control pins/connectors

- Support Audio Direct-in or on board Vol. Pot.

- Support Power Input from DC Jack or Terminal Block with Fuse protection.

- Support 4 Ohm (50W x2) or 2 Ohm (100W x 1) Output config.

TPA3116_1.jpg

TPA3116_2.jpg

TPA3116_3.jpg

By the way I tried the little 2x50w blue board that seems to be from feixang as well, as uses the same caps that in the their 2.1 board, and compared to the 2.1 board from YJ (compared only using the stereo channels, with a 4ohms 20w resistor in the sub output).

I like it much more, the midrange is clearer and the bass response its deep and clean, I used a couple of W5-1611SAF full range speakers in the already designed SARAH cabinet, and even the top end was rich with speaker that lacks a little in that section.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
...any one with the red YJ board check out polarity issues? reverse labeled speaker posts is how I think this thing comes....anyhow I got some listening time in. It sounds great in the mids and highs but is really lacking bass. I know someone mentioned a mod that improved bass response but god knows what page that was on. Any ideas??? I'm running with a 19v 5a power supply.

I don't think there are polarity issues with the YJ board. I can't tell for sure (I need my scope for that) but I have a solid bass right now and absolutely no sign of out-of-phase errors.
What kind of speakers are you using?