Ultimate Open Baffle Gallery

Hello Forum!
Refresh of this post here SBA_SLOB_GUY OB PROJECT , changed the kickbass construction with the mickymouse ears look.
2023-05-28-Anlage-HO-Capture.JPG 2023-05-28-Anlage-HO-Oben-Rechts-Capture.JPG 2023-05-28-Anlage-HO-Oben-Links-Capture.JPG
new measurements not done yet, will come soon.
Best regards,
Stefano

Reactions: 5 users
I'm building a hybrid open baffle 2way over top of a vented woofer box. The woofer box will cover the low frequency while the mid range and the tweeter placed at top as OB, that is my plan so far. My question it leveling the output energy ; will the midrange (being a cone) loose energy or rather not gain energy broad casting from a open baffle rather than an enclosure?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I finally took some individual driver measurements of my OB 3-way build.

I had lived with the 3-way DSP build for a while and enjoyed it. The result of moderate DSP tweaking was the first picture attached. That was with 1/12 octave smoothing, taken a few months ago. It sounded good, but the complexity was a bit much. Three amps and a MiniDSP Flex Eight required.

Then I went back to the Manzanitas with just one amp as I had a new build to play with... Naturally, overall, the expert-designed two-way Manzanita has won out for a while and sounds great.

So, I still want to make a go of developing a passive 3-way crossover for my OB 3-way, and the second attached picture contains the three measurements of the woofer (JBL 2217HPL), mid (Focal Audiom 7A2), and tweeter (GRS PT2522-4) at my listening position. Also with 1/12 octave smoothing. No DSP filtering. I included a 30uF cap to protect the tweeter.

I sincerely tried to figure out Vituixcad, but hit a few cognitive roadblocks trying to get it to import my simple REW measurements.

Moving forward, I am going to start with concepts from the Manzanita thread to build my 3-way passive crossover. I have a couple big 18mH inductors and a bunch of other available crossover parts that should suit.

I imagine my next LOGICAL step would be to take WT3 measurements for each driver...

Regardless, I will play with passive components and iterative measurements of the 3-way to see if I can get close to the satisfaction I get with the Manzanita.

Attachments

• OB_3Way_DSP.jpg
    OB_3Way_DSP.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 102
  • OB_3Way_Jun112023.jpg
    OB_3Way_Jun112023.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 100
Reactions: 1 user
I have to admit.

Especially this open air construction sounds great on the side where the "corner" is.

You hear with the same speakers in comparison on the other side the gain of 10db due to construction. Only by walking around it.

The current feedback amp does a lot to make the fullranges sound great.

Latest listening test with such an amp on other fullrange speakers without any crossover network

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...fication-to-current-drive.389985/post-7374638

I had 2x rain in two years, only for two minutes just very slight dripping. Nearly nothing. Bringing all in was work in vain. I was joking want my money back for the house from the former owner because the sun was away.
But after some years it can rain heavily the face of the house getting damaged as it is not prepared to be wet.

IMG_20230429_141500.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
My latest creation - dipole mid bass for my more or less butchered Magnepan 3.7s. The baffles are 600x1800 mm, and are using the Magnepan to extend the effective baffle width. Drivers are Eminence Delta 12A. I have four of these puppies, for the L and R front speakers, and the L and R surrounds. The centre channel has something similar. Crossover points for the mid bass dipoles are 80 and 450 Hz.

DSP : MiniDSP flex
Amps : Hypex nCore (butchered FusionAmps….)

Attachments

• IMG_0369.jpeg
    IMG_0369.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0370.jpeg
    IMG_0370.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 356
Reactions: 4 users
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That’s impressive, StigErik. It must sound great.

Looks good!
Did you determine the offset of the mid and high drivers with a simulator?

No, I was just eyeballing it when I built them as an experiment. They ended up sounding good enough with the first tests of DSP that they have evolved into a more serious project. I may experiment with some shallow wings for the woofers to help the low end.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2008
Paid Member
My very first designed speakers! They are live in the main system and sounding quite good. This is big fun. It’s a bit late for loud listening, so that will happen tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpeg
    IMG_0661.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0662.jpeg
    IMG_0662.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 310
Reactions: 3 users