DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Btw, I became aware today that the bom
for the PSU2 is around 100€. On top of that the LT3015 is not available anywhere, so I'll stick with what I have for now. Still have some BIB Salas Shunts, will save them for the +-15v for Patrick's circuit.
This project is really fun...
These seem original. I got them from here too.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mObJD9W

@Jogi PSU2 is pricey ... You can cut the cost with PSU 1 (filter capacitors put some cheaper low-esr), but LT1963A/LT3015 is tested as it sounds very good
(in my opinion also the MC78/79xx from onsemi in PSU 1 sound very good)
... there will be also PSU3 in the future as a fully discrete regulator, I am working on that but it gets slowly (before that I have to finish the promised TDA1541A) ;)

A lot of the cost can be saved if the regulator was made of SMD components, but I have zero trust in smd mlcc capacitors. They are very fragile and do not last long. THT devices can operate for decades :ROFLMAO:

Yes, looking good, but 20€ a pop? Plus shipping and taxes...
Three pieces in one order.
20220912_112235.jpg

But Miro is teasing badly.:cool:..I'll wait for that regulator to come from you.
And meanwhile probably having a look for a tube output stage. Some years ago I experimented with a C3g and Lundahl 1660 opt, with a AD1865 dac. Was pretty good, but then I ripped it apart again, as it goes in this hobby...

If miro says psu1 sounds good, then it shouldn't matter tbh. I chose psu2 as mikorist made pcm63 dac and it sounds good. And you can make that one expensive as well by using newclassd or sparkos regulators 😁 (which i will probably use on my next miro pcm63 dac that i'll make on single pcb with psu, as first one will be passed onto my nest man).

If miro says psu1 sounds good, then it shouldn't matter tbh. I chose psu2 as mikorist made pcm63 dac and it sounds good. And you can make that one expensive as well by using newclassd or sparkos regulators 😁 (which i will probably use on my next miro pcm63 dac that i'll make on single pcb with psu, as first one will be passed onto my nest man).
it works well. but it takes about 3 months to burn-in. all the time the sound changes for the better. It's incredible what comes out of this device. Until you hear it yourself, there's no way you'll believe it.:LOL:

Reactions: 1 user
A few of us have ordered fixed LT3015s from Mouser -12V &-5V. I think with a little modification of the PSU2 PCB it can be installed. We have adjustable positive regulators. That's it for PCM63. For AD1865, I ordered regulators from China, SMD with or without heatsink. I tested them at home with load resistors and @skrstic tried them on AD1865 and that works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think with a little modification of the PSU2 PCB it can be installed.
It means that for fixed regulators LT1963/3015, do not install parts used for voltage adjustment (resistors, capacitors, trimmer pot.) and connect the SENSE pin to Vout and SHDN pin to Vin with a jumpers. I think the fixed regulators +-5 and +-12V are still available from Mouser/Digikey in the TO220 case.

When choosing a transformer, make sure that the LT1963 does not get more than 20VDC on the Vin pin. It means max. 2x12VAC secondary for 2x12VDC regulated output voltage. The LT3015 can do more, but positive regulators don't.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users