DAC AD1862: Almost THT, I2S input, NOS, R-2R

Again crying smiley cute.
But that is not true the guy have had already done discrete design muche before based on his own altera FPGA design...
This is from new site but the photo is from maybe 10 years before the new commercial site established...
10 years on the scene and so far only ecdesign dominated here with his i2s-to-simultaneous logic? :giggle:
Really, I don't have schematic of his work. You can find or ask him for it, compare and look for differences. Without a diagram it is difficult to compare anything :)

Question for Miro, can I use PCM1702 or PCM1704 with PCM63 adapters on your PCB?
I think you can. +-5V for both, this adapter has the capacitor for PCM1702, both are 20-bit, there is nothing that is not compatible :unsure:
The only problem I see is the PCM1702 in the SMD version. I bought it from ebay in the past, along with the PCM1704, and none of them worked, they were all damaged. Recycling center "carefully" destroyed them under the removing process with the heatgun set to full power :ROFLMAO: I also had a damaged PCM1702 in DIP case, and I also have a functional one. ebay is a mystery box in this :ROFLMAO:

PSU 3 for AD1862 DAC
or another R-2R DAC

It is a simple fully discrete power supply, "zener diode transistor voltage regulator", which can be modified and tuned.
I've had it ready for a long time, but I still haven't found the time to test it == please take it as untested and don't be mad if it doesn't work :giggle:
The output voltage value may change slightly after warm-up.
I'm not sure how the heatsinks will perform (don't use it to power anything else, just the AD1862 DAC with I/V).
Once again, keep in mind that this is an experimental PSU, therefore some values may need to be fine-tuned.

BOM example: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=aac15ab52d

Attachments

• diyAudio_PSU3_2022-11-18.zip
    743.2 KB · Views: 91
  • diyAudio_PSU3_Schematic.jpg
    diyAudio_PSU3_Schematic.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 243
  • diyAudio_PSU3_PCB.jpg
    diyAudio_PSU3_PCB.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 240
Reactions: 5 users
reference.jpg.efbeaf6a280ca21580e2ef46dff2bcbc.jpg

The AD1862 is a functional replacement for the PCM1702 but also for PCM63P

PCM63K is PCM1702 in PCM63 case.

The PCM63P has two of its 28 pins for internal feedback circuitry, while the PCM1702 does not...

It literally doesn't matter which chip it is.. AD1862 or PCM1702 or PCM63P.....

But the rest of the parts on the DAC PCB - and what's in front -I2SoverUSB v.III ....

And it's more important what's on the analog output, how it plays :ROFLMAO:

It literally doesn't matter which chip it is.. AD1862 or PCM1702 or PCM63P.....

But the rest of the parts on the DAC PCB - and what's in front -I2SoverUSB v.III ....

And it's more important what's on the analog output, how it plays :ROFLMAO:
It is not true that there is no difference between AD1862, PCM63 and PCM1702 as there are differences in performance in their DSs.

One important thing everyone forgets, power supply and regulation, I've been working only on that in my DAC for the last couple of years and it really has an impact on the sound, regardless of whether it's the digital or analog part of the DAC.

Reactions: 1 users